1. love2listen

love2listen Member

writing to let go (emo thread)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by love2listen, Mar 17, 2009.

I went through the most amazing epic experience of my entire life and it lasted 7 months and changed me forever. I am writing a book about it. I am just now realizing what an impact this time had on me. I still think about it. It ended mid-December. I'm reluctant to write my book as I am writing off a first draft in a notebook and its such a pain. Tonight on the phone with my very wise friend, we came to the conclusion that I am reluctant to finish because this is the last step in letting go, and when I finish the book I will finally be free, and I dont want it to be truly over.

Just wanted to share that.

2. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

Hi love2listen,

Sounds like an amazing journey! Remember, as one door closes, another one opens…. so I’ve been told. I hope you find the courage you need to let go.

All the best with finishing your book.

3. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I would think that it would the opposite effect. Once the writing is finished then your experience solidifies in your psyche.

4. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Contributing Member

Sounds like something happened to you that was intense.
    I think if you are reluctant to finish, don't push yourself just yet. Let it sit, accept gradually that it is coming to an end, and when everything is said and done, write it down. If you push to get over this, it might not come out sounding right.

5. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter Contributing Member

Yes, don't push it. Maybe there's still something else you're supposed to glean from the experience and you might miss it if you're in too much of a rush.

6. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

I had the same experience this year that lasted maybe three months. I finished it, then couldn't write for a long while. My words felt stale, meaningless. I still feel that way a little, but I'm coping a little better.

Well, I hope the best for you. Sorry that the journey is coming to an end. :(

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

l2l...
    when writing as catharsis, it helps to write in third person, as if it happened to a total stranger... that allows you to 'observe' and 'see' the events and how they affected the character/you and get a better perspective on how you should feel about and where to go from there...

plus, it makes a much better read for others, as first person almost always will be too angsty and involved, to be a good read for anyone else...