1. BlessedbyHorus

BlessedbyHorus Member

Can a Thriller/Horror Have Romance?

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by BlessedbyHorus, Dec 27, 2014.

Just a quick question. My story is not a horror per se, but really a thriller post-apocalypse that has a lot of horror "elements". I hear many people online say romance ruins a good thriller/horror story, because it takes away from the atmosphere or something of that nature. Well the "romance" in my story isn't that long(really just a sex scene), but just to build up for something really terrifying. Is that okay in these two genres? My story is really gritty and I don't want too much "lovey dovey", but I do need a form of romance to build up something that's going to happen to the two characters.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Depends. For me risk elevates tension and the scare. When nobody gives a damn about anyone that's not really scary. Who cares if another scumbag bites the dust. But if someone is falling in love, that creates risk, they're vulnerable they've now got something to lose. For me if it's handled right it will add to, not take away the tension and thrills.

Catrin Lewis and BlessedbyHorus like this.
  3. BlessedbyHorus

BlessedbyHorus Member

Thanks for the reply. :)

Its just that I read many peoples opinions online who feel romance "takes away from the atmosphere".

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. I actually prefer a dash of romance (even though I don't read romance novels in general) for the reasons @peachalulu explained. I also find it kind of... realistic, maybe? That humans start pairing up, or mating.

By the way, the two (or more) characters can plausibly have sex without feelings too, so you can also make it into a one-night-standy thing if you don't care for romance.

I think I know what you're talking about though. I read a review for one Chris Ryan novel I really liked because of the romantic element (it gave depth to the MC and introduced an interesting character) wherein the reviewer complained that it was completely unnecessary, like an action thriller shouldn't have anything like that. Maybe some publishers might object, I don't know, but personally I don't mind it at all.

BlessedbyHorus likes this.
  5. BlessedbyHorus

BlessedbyHorus Member

The bolded is where I am going.:D

But still afterwards they're going to touch base back on it. And yeah you're right with the rest.

6. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

As a subplot, definitely, as long as it doesn't cause the story to drift too far away from the main plot.

7. BlessedbyHorus

BlessedbyHorus Member

I definitely stray away from that. The romance subplot in my story does not last long, but I just use it to enhance the "risk".

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, it certainly can. I find that a great many of genre books I read, whether horror, science fiction, fantasy, or what have you, have romantic subplots. Heck, the YA genre is built around the idea :)