WritingForums.Com

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by s1e9a8n5, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicker

bicker Active Member

i think its up again people

2. Robert

Robert Banned

Yeah, it's back.

3. Arktos

Arktos New Member

Yup, I just saw.

4. s1e9a8n5

s1e9a8n5 New Member

Yes! ;)

5. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I don't like the layout of WB so I have chosen not to join. However, now that WF.com is back I will join up there. But this site remains my preference.

6. DFischer

DFischer New Member

What do you not like about it?

7. Milye

Milye New Member

When I say size, I mean less boards, so it's less cluttered. The publication looks pretty good too (Really liked that interview with Kevin MacDonald. I think I'm going to buy Practically Invisible).

Yes, I'm a refugee of WF.com ... happy to hear that it's up and running again! :)

8. HotPsychWriter

HotPsychWriter New Member

I escaped from there in March of '06. I have not been there since.

9. Milye

Milye New Member

I'm thinking of leaving WF, too. If it's going to be down and out for so long, I'd be better off with a site that's running 24/7. I think this place and WB are much better for me. None of them's ever been shut down before.

10. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry if I seemed a little rude.

In answer to your question: I don't like the idea of having a notepad as a background for the forum threads etc. I know many people do like this but for me it doesn't work. The home page has a nice "newsletter" sort of feel, but once again there's just something that doesn't make me feel comfortable. I think it may be the colours. I find WF.org very soothing and pleasant, whereas WF.com is rather dull yet it is probably the most active of all the sites.

WB isn't bad, it just isn't my taste. I think you're the admin. or someone of high importance on the site so congratulations on running a successful forum, but it just doesn't have a "homey" feel imo.

11. Robert

Robert Banned

I know what you mean. I've been with Writers Beat since before the format was changed and to be honest I preferred the original version. It's good of Dan to provide something new and fresh, but I'd prefer to be able to select the old version still as an option because I prefer it. The new style just doesn't look attractive to me. But, it's a question of taste and many people like it.

Cheers,
    Rob

12. Robert

Robert Banned

I understand what you're saying, but you can't be sure that wf.org or wb won't go down some time, too. It happens. It happened to my own forum when it was down over one weekend due to circumstances beyond my control, and prior to that people might well have said, "Hey, good old Critters Bar, it never goes down, not like some forums."

I know that problem won't occur again, but you have to understand that as the site owner you're relying on the hosting company not to let you down. As it happens, apart from this one incident, the hosting company I'm with has been excellent for the last 4 or 5 years, and far better than the two I tried before that.

If a site goes down regularly that'd be cause for concern, but a one-off, even a one-off like wf.com have just experienced, well, it - or something like it - can happen to almost any forum.

But as I've said elsewhere, I think it's advantageous to belong to multiple forums anyway. Having workshopped my writing online for the last three years, I think people who stick to one forum are losing out. You're always going to have a favourite, that's fine and natural, but consider belonging to several.

Cheers,
    Rob

13. Milye

Milye New Member

Fair enough, that's understandable. I've never owned a site before, so I wasn't aware of this.

Still, I'm going to stick with WB. I've been dappling in it for some time now and I really like the place, especially the members - so helpful, nice, approachable. I'll still be a member of WF.com and WF.org, but WB is much better, in my opinion :)

14. Arktos

Arktos New Member

Me too.

15. Robert

Robert Banned

Writers' Beat has been getting a lot of good press in other writing forums lately - ever since Dan offered rewards for any WB members posting links to the site or carrying a link in their signature on other forums. You guys must have earned some 'pencil points' by now.

Cheers,
    Rob

16. Arktos

Arktos New Member

Yes.

To tell the truth, I like it over there - more comfortable and professional. But for some reason, I keep coming here as well...

17. Robert

Robert Banned

What name do you use over there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.