1. Nathalie

Nathalie New Member

Novel written a book and may need logo from TV and or

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Nathalie, Jan 3, 2009.

Music industry. how does this work? thanks in advance.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Perhaps you could give us more detail on what this book is, and why you need to use a TV logo?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can guarantee it'll cost you more than you can afford!... go here for copyright and trademark laws:

www.copyright.gov
    www.uspto.gov

4. Nathalie

Nathalie New Member

will review these websites. this is an example of a writerwho uses a logo for his

51wLPB9LD4L__SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg
    example of what i would like to achieve

just looked at those 2 sites and complicated to understand. i may only wish to use a logo.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You should listen to mamamaia. You will need wriiten permission, and it will cost you. If you use it without permission, it will cost you even more.

6. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Agreed wholeheartedly.

I don't know if you're artistically inclined, but perhaps you could design something original and bypass all the pleasantries?

You didn't give a whole lot of detail about your needs, so please forgive if my suggestion isn't relevant.

7. Nathalie

Nathalie New Member

ok thanks for your input. how much do you think the writer

with the pop idol logo had to pay. doing one's own thing sounds a better idea - however i always wonder if a cover their recognisable logo on it affects people's buying patterns. by the way I am listening to what is being said but just trying to see what the alternatives are - a solution rather than a no goer!!!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You probably should concentrate on the book's contents. When you submit to a publisher, they will worry about cover design, including licensing any logos or such that they may feel will help market the book. They have their own lawyers, and are well versed in these matters.

I would NOT recommend self publication. No offense, but you just don't seem well enough versed in the publication details that you MUST know inside out.

9. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Too much hassle, especially if you have to ask.

ESPECIALLY--no offense to the rest of this board--if you have to ask the internet.

10. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I don't know if this was aimed at my suggestion or not. But to clarify, I wasn't talking about self-publication. I meant if the OP wanted a logo on the book cover, to consider designing it herself.

With her added information, I now realize that designing it herself would be self-defeating since she is going for the publicity it would generate.

I have to agree with Cogito about concentrating on the contents. I find it dubious at best to rely on gimmicks. Whichever way it goes, let a publisher guide your way in such complicated matters.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nathalie...
    first of all, the 'chicken soup' series is so well-established in the book world that it makes millions and can afford to pay for rights to use a logo... besides which, their books are guaranteed to sell well, so the logo owner may even agree to free usage, knowing it's good publicity, especially since that book is actually aimed at ai fans...

a first book by a new, unknown writer won't have that rosy a future to count on, so it's a whole 'nother ballgame... and yes, even if all you want to use is a logo, you'll most likely have to pay for its use... you'll find info on that in the trademark section of the uspto.gov site...

that said, unless you self-publish, you won't be designing the cover, anyway, so it's all moot, if you don't pay to have your work put in print...

as for it helping to sell your book, it most likely won't, if the book itself isn't of interest to book-buyers... all i can do is perhaps make a few more browsers take a closer look at it... but if the story and the writing aren't up to par and beyond, nothing you can put on the cover will help sales...

and it certainly won't help you sell your book to a paying publisher, since all they'll want to see is your ms...