1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Joe Abercrombie Christmas blog on plot development

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by jannert, Dec 27, 2013.

For any of you Joe Abercrombie fans, or anyone else wondering how a Work In Progress can behave, this is a great little piece. He just wrote it yesterday, so it's up-to-date. He talks about how story plans can go up the Swanee once writing starts, and characters and settings are in place and working their charms.

This is writing insight from one of the most currently-successful authors on the planet. Lovely of him to share his thoughts about writing while he still is!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/12/26/everyone-has-a-plan-until-theyre-punched-in-the-face/

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Some of that was really helpful. One because I have a second character that does have a problem arc but I hadn't been thinking of it along those lines and he reminded me I should. And the second reason is I'm stuck on a scene right now because I need to have some things happen and they were feeling rather unimaginative. I need to find and add context and I think that will make the events matter even though right now they don't.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Thanks for sharing. T and I have been struggling with the same prob, actually. There's a character to whom lots of stuff happens, who's fairly important, but who lacks the character arc. We eventually came up with one, but haven't executed it yet, so not sure if it's gonna work... Oh well, only one way to find out!

jannert likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I just added a satisfying chapter revealing more of my main character's struggle with not fitting in but feeling lonely when she is away. Sometimes when I'm focused just on the next piece of the plot I've forgotten to keep in mind the character's struggle is what matters most.

jannert likes this.
  5. TLK

TLK Active Member

Ooh, do love me a good bit of Jabercrombie.

This is good advice and it's comforting to realize that this is largely how I like to write as well.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I finished Abercrombie's book Red Country recently. I enjoyed it as great deal, as I did his earlier works.