Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

WTF - ship bubble reflections to fight climate change?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Dec 19, 2014.

OK, so this thread is not about climate change. I'm sorry deniers but the science is in, go argue the science in your own thread.

However, I do want to know what people think of this recent study: Shrinking ship bubbles ‘could counteract climate change’

Is this the latest denial scam, as in here's an easy fix? Or is it legit that ship bubble reflection is actually a big enough climate component to matter?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

^ That's my thought exactly.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

What's wrong with it? Sounds like a great ide.

FYI, you can't say "This thread isn't about this arguing this particular stance, which by the way is right!!!!! So argue else where !" you're asking for it.

4. GingerCoffee

No, I'm saying discuss the ship bubble thesis, don't go off on the climate change denial sidetrack.

5. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

But when you word it like that you're goading deniers.

6. GingerCoffee

That's their problem.

7. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I read about this earlier. I think their calculations indicated that if all 35,000 large vessels in the world were fitted with aerosol technology to produce micro-bubbles and continued with their current itineraries, there would be sufficient solar reflection to result in a 0.5 C temperature drop. It all sounds hopelessly optimistic to me.

In fact, it can probably be consigned to the same storage unit as mirrors in space and algae farms.

Realistically nuclear power is the only method by which significant reductions can be made (and only then once people finally accept the fact that wind, water and solar power are hopelessly inadequate, unreliable and polluting in terms of the manufacturing of the components to ever make a significant impact on climate change).

Wreybies likes this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

They're basically talking about increasing the albedo of the ocean, sounds like. Two main questions that come to mind:

1) Whether the models will be accurate in predicting how effective this actually is; and
    2) What other consequences (predictable or unanticipated) might come from something like this.

Wreybies likes this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Were this to show any sign of plausible application with measurable end effect, one consequence is that The Carbon Lords will feel like they're off the hook, so burn it, baby. Burn it.

I don't want to agree with this, but I have to because it's true. It's just fear and the fact that I remember 3 Mile Island and I was living in Berlin, Germany when the Chernobyl catastrophe happened that still leaves me leery. The potential is so great, but when it breaks...

Chinspinner likes this.
  10. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

We also had Windscale in the UK which was similar to Three Mile Island. The radiation resulting from them never exceeded the natural background radiation.

A Chenoble scale f-up is more of a concern though; I have read articles indicating that the long-term impact has been significantly less than anticipated, but I do not know how true this is.

11. GingerCoffee

Found one of the precursor articles:

Effects of ship wakes on ocean brightness and radiative forcing over ocean

There are a lot of 'ifs' thrown into the model. If ocean traffic increases is one of concern. I don't readily see a 2014 article that the news story was based on. I'll keep looking.

12. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

What a great idea. Maybe we can also sit around our favorite coffee shops and blow little bubbles while drinking our extra frothy foam lattes and cappuccinos while wearing a sparkly t-shirt..
    Hey, my bald head alone means I should be able to up my SUV engine horsepower by 15.234583789437%
    I feel so much better.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.