1. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Wynter's Journal of Procrastinational Excellence

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Wynter, Dec 30, 2014.

So hmm... Figured I'd trial one of these.

Title: The Abyss
    Genre: Novel: Adventure and Suspense
    Word Count: 2000
    Finish Length: Hopefully 100-150K

Plot: When his life is saved by a stranger 'he' (Character name is unknown right now) knows he has to do something to pay him back, he knows just how indebted he is. Before he knows it he's swept up in the tide as they search for The Abyss, the end of the world, the gate to Heaven or Hell. A race which has existed for millennia and driven all to madness, despair or death. Each day he's tested, his resolve, his morality forced into question by the man he acknowledges as his savior and as they draw search ever and ever harder for an elusive clue, for something that will set them on the right path to God (Operative term for now not a modern religion or set in a modern setting) he realizes he has to make a choice, to fight against the world, or let it consume him.

2. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

I'm finding the start to be the most difficult aspect of this. In all my musings I know my endgame, I know my middle arc and I Know where it's going. But Jesus Christ it's creating the path to get to where I'm going that is killing me.

I'm not sure whether painting the town my MC is living in a negative light is bad, because it's setting a pessimistic tone/making the character seem whiney. Yet he needs a reason to leave, I have the debt to his ally, his desire to find the Abyss, but it feels like it needs something extra and I can't seem to find it.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Love the thread title.

4. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Why thank you Madame

[​IMG]

5. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Contributing Member Reviewer

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Agree. Butto stay objective, the title pertains little to the author's state of creativeness. Difficulty with writing does not necessarily
    engender procrastination.

6. Hwaigon

The premise you portrayed with those flowery words already seems like said by a character from your story. Dunno if this was or wasn't intentional but got me hooked. I hope you're writing the stuff.

7. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Procrastination does create a lack of progress though, which considering this is a progress journal, I found ironic :angle:

As for writing it, let's say it's a ***** but doing my best.

Just got to get on a roll, I think the beginning is going to be the uphill battle, I've thought about the rest for the past three months since I first came up with the idea. Wasn't intentional, but thanks :)

8. Hwaigon

@Wynter

"Procrastination does create a lack of progress though,"
    That indeed.
    As the New Year is ahead of us, one of my resolutions sounds "DO IT!". There are ten thousand quadrillion shades of "I can't start writing" in all the writers of the world.
    Just do it, man, I want to read your story. Uphill battle sounds impressive, symbolic.

I've contemplated some eight to nine ideas for the past five years, during which time I had the writer's block. Recently I've made my mind to put them on the paper; out of the blue I sensed a point of inner maturity and the completion of those ideas into stories no longer seemed
    that unreal.

9. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Decided I'd bump this

I've been writing The Abyss on and off, I have some scenes in the future which have really come to me but as usual it's the beginning which is causing me shitloads of frustration.

As for other projects I've decided to start a 2nd idea, playing on the idea of 'prophecy' where when we get them in novels they always seemingly lead to a clash of good and evil where the protagonist is the savior.

With this I'm not going to reveal who the savior, or who the would be destroyer is, I'm just going to have two men headed to a final battlefield, reflecting as to how they got here. In this I want to create two sympathetic characters who the readers themselves can side with, giving them a choice as to who they think the savior was and who they think the destroyer was. As to whether or not that will ever be revealed is something I'm seriously considering.

The Abyss - Word Count - 7800

Unnamed Prophecy One - 2400

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

this sounds good

11. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

On a sidenote I finally figured out my beginning, came as an epiphany last night and for me it's working.

I'm going to be revealing how the two met over the course of the novel, as in the moment he saved MC's life to the Moment MC decided to join him, with the pairing up happening in the last chapter.

A mini-flashback at the start of each chapter before we hit the present, the story beginning at the site of the first clue and immediately putting the two in media res, a week after the two have started their journey.