1. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

X pages crisis/ X% crisis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by w176, Nov 1, 2010.

The the X isn't anything naughty this time. Just a general number. We all have out moments of hesitation and I noticed this often happens at the specific breaking points, varying between individuals.

After how many page or how long into the story do you have some sort of writing crisis? A block, a need to rewrite everything, a peak in feeling that what you written so far is crap, or whatever it might be.

Me I have a 15 pages crisis. After 15 pages I want to redo something about what i written so far, maybw a change of POV, maybe a change in the setting, maybe starting the story at a different point.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

I dont really have a number of pages or word count. I just wake up the next day, read what i have written the day before and than start editing, rather then writing new material.

Has to be in the top 5 crimes of writing. But i can't help myself. I am getting better though. Much better actually.

3. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Well, I usually have two crisis. First is right at the beginning, worrying if have right POV or setting or beginining doesn't feel right. This crises happens often and unfortunatley is unavoidable :D

The second crisis I hit around thirtytnth page. It's when I realize that I've written a lot, and then start wondering is it good enough. Perhaps I should rewrite some chapters, or I just have too many info dumps and stuff like that.

After that, there's no real crisis. By then, I'm happy with the result and want to finish writing as soon as possible so I could edit everything :D

4. Speedy

Hmm, when i write i don't plan. I mean sometimes i have an idea where i want it to go, but otherwise i just type and it goes where it wants to go (As long as i mark of my checkpoints). Which is probably why i don't have issues with settings, POV and so fourth. It's just my lack of knowledge in writing that kills me and forces me to edit. i think.

5. w176

I dont plan either. But still i have a whole bunch of 15 pages documents on every harddrive i owned. I do get past the 15 pages point too, but I realized but when i do abandon a project its at 15 pages. It might be because i gotten so far that I can see thinks finding its shape, but not gotten dedicated to it yet, not sure it optimal, still willing to start over and see if I can tweak the concept a little.

6. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

I am not nearly disciplined enough yet to work out what % or how many pages in I have my myriad crises, they just tend to surprise me :/

In one WiP I didn't outline beforehand, I wrote about 60,000 words and realised I had only just hit the middle, that triggered a crisis of overcompensation... another novel I bombed through and it ended up over one hundred and seventy thousand words... that triggered a crisis of how-on-earth-do-I-edit-this-itis... recently I'm struggling in my sixth chapter, having the nothing-I-ever-write-will-be-good-enough-crisis... and then there's the extra bonus crisis of knowing you're a rubbish undisciplined non-writer for worrying about your other crises and not getting on with it...

...I'm expecting the next crisis to be when I get to 1000 posts on this forum and have a crisis of thinking just how much of my novel all those words could have made...

7. Speedy

How is the pacing of your stories? Do they range, or do they often feel the same?

I wish i had your problem sometimes. Editing a story from 200k to 120k is a pain in the rear.

Edit - Guess i'm not alone!

8. w176

I kick start in media res, taking off leaving the reader holding on to the roller coasters railings. With a kick start like that you want so make sure that the 15 first pages head off in the right direction.

9. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

Pacing is one thing I think I've only ever got 'right' in one book, and, surprisingly enough, it's one I don't really have any problems with... one of my WiP's had quick dialogue and relentless action, yet nothing much really 'happened' somehow and that's the one which petered out after 60,000 words and I'd only just hit the middle.

My other WiP is a bit different, set in a quiet village, but I'd plotted it out in tiny detail... every chapter has lots of 'happenings', from what I can tell, it's paced effectively, but I just grind to a halt with it. 'Tis rather annoying.

The ginormous book I actually finished, I literally planned as I went along. I just added scenes and edited the rest to fit as needed, and an ending came naturally. I have a sneaky suspicion this must be how writing should work all the time... 0_o

10. Masli

Masli Member

I usually have the entire story already in my head, only need to put it to paper... So I usually don't have blocks or problems in terms of pages etc. I always run into the smaller problems that keep me from continueing. Like a dialogue I can't exactly remember anymore from my mind. Instead of thinking up a new one as I write, I keep trying to remember how I had imagined it the first time...

11. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

It's usually about 70 or more pages for me. :p Reeeally bad times, because I put so much in before I decide it's not working out...

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't have any sort of crises, just keep writing till i get to the end and then start the edits, keep at that till i have a polished ms ready to submit...