Xbox One vs. PS4

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thomas Kitchen, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I see your point heavily, but i already knew the precautions i was going to take before i started using the system. They can't see me if i put tape over the kinect sensor. And with no power button? I'll just unplug the thing when i'm finished. It's not that hard really.

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I was an Xbox fan until the One was announced. Stacked up against the PS4, it doesn't really compare from a gamer's standpoint. The Xbox is like a Media Center device, not a gaming console. And the DRM restrictions on it are ridiculous.

Sony has won me over due to lack of competition.

Oh, and if I suffer Halo withdrawls... Bungie is making Destiny which will be on PS4... nuff said.

3. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

I am going to be honest I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking when they created the Xbox One, or even had the idea of making the Xbox One. There are waaaay too many restrictions on it for the players to have a good enough experience.

For one thing it doesn't work unless you have connect. Now, of course, since it comes with Kinect, it shouldn't be a problem, but what if you accidentally break Kinect? That might be a common accurance seeing as how it is an attachment and not the actual system itself.

Also another thing, for all those people out there with bad wifi, or no internet connection whatsoever, you do not have the ability to even play offline games.

Now people do not have the ability to publish Indie Games unless they have some type of contract set up with Microsoft, themselves. Meaning there will be a limited amount of new content when it comes to games made by gamers.

And then you now are stuck with having to pay all most full price for games that have already been used. And when used games are sold, companies like Gamestop only get 10% compared to the original 100%. Causing them to have the risk of going out of business.

And as for the system features...

4. TheLeonard112

Also, you really need to watch this. The truth of the Xbox One graphics... watch up to 2:37

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

As a Xbox, Xbox 360 owner over PlayStation, I'll keep this brief.

I'm getting a PlayStation 4

Or, I'm completly skippiung the next generation (can't kill, and could only get me more focused on my writing).

6. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Your gonna really go through the effort of putting tape over it and dealing with all these things?

Instead of just buying a PS4 or a gaming PC? :confused:

7. Fullmetal Xeno

The PS4 has no good exclusives because they sold them all to Xbox and no i can't afford a decent gaming PC.

8. Kingtype

That's your reason for buying consoles? Just exclusives?

PS4 didn't sell them to Xbox. If they did then they would all be exclusive to Xbox One.

KH, FF, Destiny and Metal Gear are all multiplatform for PS4 and Xbox One.

PS4 will serve you better in the long run and be far less of a burden on your wallet. Nor will it be hindered by the various rules the Xbox One has.

Plus there are various other exclusives that PS4 are going to have. Uncharted 4 and another Little Big Planet. Plus judging by how well The Last of Us did that's certainly going to get a sequel of some sort.

Regardless of exclusives it doesn't change that both consoles will carry basically the same games. Its just with Xbox you get the wonderful hassle of pouring money into a console that pretty much laughs in the face of gamers. I know that might be a harsh statement. Buts its true. Sony at least is making an effort to appeal more to the gaming community.

And even if you can't afford a gaming PC (which I can't either) PS4 and Wii U are still cheaper then Xbox One.

9. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

THERE'S A TV SHOW?! SQUEEEEEEEEE

/fangirl

Actually one of the few things I'm excited about for either of the platform releases this year... hahaha. Like I said, I play games, not consoles.

10. Pludovick

Pludovick Member

You do know that Sony has tonnes of acclaimed first-party exclusive studios that will continue making exclusive games for PS4 right? When you consider their recent output compared to Microsoft's studios, they don't really compare. Microsoft only have Turn 10, Remedy (third party but whatever) and 343i who have put out widely-acclaimed games recently (and you could dispute 343i as they're definitely a step down from Bungie Halo-wise). Rare and Lionhead haven't been relevant for at least a decade, since the N64 and the first Fable respectively.

Black Tusk are the only other relevant first-party developer and they're completely unproven. All other AAA developers are third-party and have been bought out on exclusivity deals which are likely timed (even Titanfall's developers refused to rule out a PS4 version) and if the PS4 dominates like it is expected to then there's little to no doubt most of these 'exclusives' will be ported over before too long.

Comparatively, in terms of on-form first party developers, Sony have Naughty Dog (Uncharted, TLOU), Sucker Punch (inFamous), Santa Monica (God of War), Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo), Guerrilla (Killzone), Studio Japan (Gravity Rush) and Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet) who have all received widespread critical acclaim for their most recent games. On top of that you've got Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain) who are admittedly second-party but produce games exclusively for Sony, and Bend studios who've borrowed a few licenses from other companies recently (Resistance, Uncharted) and made some amazing games. Off the top of my mind, that's a few of the top studios confirmed to be developing exclusive PS4 games- PS4 games that will never come to X1.

As far as I'm aware, the only 'exclusive' that's moved from Sony to Microsoft is Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive. And given Insomniac's recent output (Fuse was horrible, and Ratchet and Clank: All for One was very average) it's not really a huge loss. All the others (MGS, KH, FF) are still available on both consoles.

11. TheLeonard112

I agree with Pludovick in that they have plenty of good exclusives, do you own a PS3? Do you know how many sequels to all these good games have been announced/rumored and is more than not likely to have a sequel?

12. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Uncharted. That is all.

13. raven6625

raven6625 Member

Steam have been doing worse than this for years, I share a steam account with my brother and I wish we could split our old games onto two accounts by paying a little but we simply cant.

14. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Actually every game that is released from Japan is a PS exclusive. Xbox failed in Japan. You could say nobody cares about JPRGS, but I really couldn't care less for Halo or Gears of War and that crap these days.

15. Fullmetal Xeno

It's funny cause Halo and Gears of War actually have backstory and rich universes behind them, some elements a lot of games lack these days.

16. Kingtype

Yes they do.

But so do JRPG's.

Plus is reason for buying an Xbox One just Halo and Gears of Wars?

Both consoles have the same games just about. What's the point of buying the more expensive one that has policy after policy.

Or you could always wait and buy the Steam Box

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/valve-steam-box-release-date-news-and-features-1127072

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958162/valve-steam-box-cake

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/what-is-valves-steam-box

Or get a nice OUYA

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

17. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I think a lot of the backlash that Microsoft is getting comes from the fact that the Xbox One reveal had incredibly, horribly, awfully bad timing. I don't think they could have hand-picked a worse time to come out with an always-on system that watches and listens to you. And of course Sony jumped on the opportunity to make themselves look like heroes at Microsoft's expense. I still have not forgiven them for the PS3 (which, BTW, was still $100 more at its debut than the Xbox One will be), but I have to admit that it was a smart move on their part. They'll intercept a lot of Microsoft fans, even though they're in an inferior position games-wise.

At any rate, the only way I really see Microsoft being able to pull out of this nosedive would be to release a "lite" version of the Xbox One sans Kinect and always-on requirement. My brother is a competitive gamer and the biggest Xbox fanboy I've every met, and even he's not on board with the new Xbox. Meanwhile, if this means I have to move to PC gaming sometime in the future in order to play the fourth installment of Bioshock (sigh sigh sigh), so be it. I guess Microsoft will still be getting my money, but maybe their next console will be more customer-friendly.

That said, I noticed a couple people mentioned that they really only use their consoles for non-gaming activities: Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Get. A Roku.

The basic model is like $60, no subscription fee, and you can get pretty much all your streaming apps on it -- Movies, TV, music (Pandora, Spotify, Last.FM), even games. Since we got it, we cancelled our cable. I've bought them for my friends as housewarming gifts.

Anyway, I am a Nintendo gal, and that's it. I may have a dalliance here and there with another system, but in the end I always come back to my one true love.

18. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

PS4 Hands down no need for a discusion, Xbox this time isn't even competition,

19. Michael Shaw

Michael Shaw New Member

I probably won't be getting either anytime soon, but if I were to do so I'd get the ps4.

20. Fullmetal Xeno

Right because that's why it sold out on Amazon Pre-orders in less than four hours? I'm not defending Microsoft but no matter our ludicrous the polices are people will still go buy it. Xbox will compete with the PS4 heavily, maybe a little less then last gen, but in the end they will have close sales. I like how both consoles aren't even out yet and everyone acts like Microsoft is done because they jumped the PS4 bandwagon.

21. Kingtype

I'm pretty sure Xbox One's reveal made Sony's stock rise. If X1 flops Microsoft certainly asked for it. Most things about the console is just so unappealing to people. Which why there are so many complaints.

But anyway seriously. We've all given you good reasons why you shouldn't buy an Xbox One.

I honestly want to know. Why are you buying one? It seems like PS4 has the edge in terms of most things (in terms of gaming)

22. Pludovick

Pludovick Member

23. Kingtype

If that's true.

Then I'm fine with the X1.

Though I'll still buy a PS4........because its cheaper and I always buy Sony before the others.

But if all those policies are gone then the beef between me and Microsoft is over.

24. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

It is true - Microsoft confirmed it a few hours ago. As you say, however, I'm still going with the PS4, as it's cheaper and to be honest I just fancy a change.

25. Cydramech

Cydramech Member

I can forgive, but I never forget.