1. MaKiiMoee

MaKiiMoee New Member

The names I come up with...and the terrible characters >.>

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MaKiiMoee, Jul 9, 2012.

So yeah... >.> when I create a character...( especially jerks ) I can never come up with good names. XD , my cousin told me to use Eithan once...but
    I couldn't do it...it's like.. 'big bad school bully EITHAN RAWR!' ...yeah dude...no. XD no it's not time for laughing....anyway if you have any suggestions on guy names ( antagonists ) then please help , it's much needed ! = D :D :) :p

- Sorry I like to ramble -

2. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

I've always hated anyone named Andrew.

Kidding. It might be tough to come up with a name that screams bully for everybody, if only because people could have different feelings towards names based on their own life experiences. Perhaps you can find some rare name that sounds kinda pretentious, something like Royal or Earl?

3. killbill

killbill Member

I don't understand the obsession with character names, no offence. If John is associated with good guy image, your aim should be to create such a bad ass John that everybody who reads your story starts associating John with the bad guy image. So, it is the way you write the character that will decide how the character is perceived by the readers and not how they are named. Dont give more time than deciding which pen to write when deciding your characters' names.

4. Complex

Complex New Member

Unless your character has a code name, protocol or is generally name for some character trait that is not obvious. The majority of characters I use have natural things as names, Cliff/Rock/Glen/Red/Crow/Wolf for guys and for girls Rose/Lily/Rain/Snow/Honey/Pudding these names come from the their culture (fictional) naming system. If doing realistic names, pick them out from the 'big book of baby names' or something.

People aren't bad because of their name, but if you want a 'jerk' name have it be a nickname. Sure 'John' may not sound tough, but I doubt anyone will want to mess with a guy who calls himself 'Stabby McGee' or something like that.

5. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Agreed.
    Names do not matter so much! People need to stop over thinking them >___> Think about writing the character instead of what the reader will call them, y'know?

6. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I agree about names. A lot of times I'll come up with a placeholder name meaning to change it later, but then the character grows on me and the name stays.

I know that we all want The Perfect Name for all our characters, but there's trying to come up with that and then there's obsessing over it and wasting time on picking a name when you could be writing your story.

7. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I usually use names I like. Often I'll go online and try to find a name with a particular meaning that demsonstrates something about a character, or I'll use a name that gives off a certian tone or ties in well with the themes of a story. Derek sounds like a jerk name, or Vince, or Dudley.

8. AlexLB

AlexLB New Member

Names are labels, and we know how much this world likes to label stuff. Tough Guys like JOHN Rambo, JOHN McClane, bad guys HANNIBAL Lector. You hear John, or even Wyatt and you hit the Good Guy stereotype.

Personally, you are not given a choice when you're born as to what your name is going to be; the same should be for your characters. If you've got a good image in your head, and they are mean and nasty and you want to call them Bob, and real life Bob's are known as florists, dressmakers and make-up artists, then break the stereotype and make him mean. Hell, if I liked the Hannibal name, but my character was a crossdresser who wanted to open up a sanctuary for kittens then, in my story, that's what he'd do.

Personalities make the character, not the name.

9. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

When it comes to unpleasant characters I usually use names I don't like which helps in keeping them repugnant.

10. MaKiiMoee

MaKiiMoee New Member

Oh thank you for responding ^.^ , both Earl & Royal seem to fit the personality for a character I had in mind for one of my one shots. Thank for both of the good suggestions !
    -MaKii

11. Fatback

Fatback Banned

Cassius, Clyde, Axel, Tyrone or Ty... You could even use slang names or single letters to really make the antagonist pop into peoples imagination.

12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

If its a school bully we're talking about, you could just use a nickname

13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I only get picky about character names if I am writing a period piece, because the name should be one that would have been used then. Otherwise, I don't get too torqued up about it.

14. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I don't worry about whether the name seems like a 'good guy' or 'bad guy's name. Anyone can be named anything, and still do right or wrong. Analyzing names to the nth degree just gets you in the weeds.

15. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

OK if you are trying to write a bully there is always onel go to bully name:

Bruno

16. Pinkjelly

Pinkjelly New Member

What I always do when I'm stuck for a name is go through a baby name book. I bought one from WHsmiths for £4 and its really useful. It has really old names as well as up to date hip ones.

Another thing that helps me - I write down a full detailed character description, going through everything from their height and if they wear a hat to their dreams and fears. It usually gives me a good idea of what name would suit them. I also ask others what they think I should call the character after they've read the description.

Hope it helps :)

17. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I needed two names for characters not so long ago. I picked the first two names that came into my head. Jack and Cael. Bingo.

At first it seemed a little odd, but over time they came to fit. Pick whatever name you damn well please and it will come to suit your character as you write.

18. Ralderable

Ralderable New Member

I feel your pain! I was however given this really cool tip. The tip is basically that you take a random English sentence, any sentence, and it doesn’t matter what it is. It could be “Come home before dinner”. It probably works really awesomely with foreign languages too.

Now take your sentence: “Come home before dinner”.

Remove spaces.

“Comehomebeforedinner”

Pick random segments of the sentence and start playing with them.

Here are a few variations:
    redinne – n = Redine
    efored + G + l – e = Gelford
    mehome + throw some vowels around = Amehim

Hope this helps! :D

19. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I name my evil characters after people I don't like. :)

20. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Just think about the character you are trying to write and browse the internet for a name you can work with for that character. "GOOD/BAD GUY" names do not really matter so much. As you write the character, people while associate the name with the character. In my book, I pulled the name 'Zane' out of thin air, and it stuck. When I wrote his brother, I came up with 'Mace' [yes like the medieval weapon] and it ended up sticking and really suits his character. I also developed a villain who is Zane's alter ego. I first referred to him as 'Shadow Zane' because of his appearance, but soon the name 'Shane' became appropriate. For this reason, I choose names that are appropriate for the time and placement of the story, but beyond that I try not to worry too much because the character will grow into their name.

I understand what you mean though. for a more recent work I did do a lot of research into the names of y characters because I wanted the names to match their characters in definition, origin, and whatnot. By the end of it. I named them whatever I felt like using. after writing for a while I changed a character's name because she felt more like an "Alicia" to me than a "Tina". The point is to write, so create the character and get a working name. If you're genuinely stuck, consider their life and the character's backstory-- which doesn't need to be in the story entirely, but every character should have a history that you as the author knows :)

21. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It doesn't matter - your reader will feel towards your character how you write your character (and that must be the worst sentence I've ever written haha). Eg. however you have established your character, that is how your readers will feel towards them.

When I first started reading Of Bees and Mist, on the first page it mentioned 2 women in a conflict - Eva and Meridia. I've never come across the name Meridia before, and judging from the tone of the first page I thought they were both women in their 40s bickering about something trivial. I did not like the name Meridia.

Then the story started in earnest and it began with Meridia's birth. The story progressed until she finally met Eva, who turned out to be her mother-in-law. By this point in the story, I've come to know Meridia as a sweet, beautiful, quiet, thoughtful girl trying to find her way as she matures, and she grows to become a strong and determined woman despite her very introverted personality. And now, I love the name Meridia. Why? Because now I associate the name with all those complex and lovely things that the character was.

In other words, it's all on how you write.

And no, please don't use Eithan - I've never heard of that name but it sounds like a horrible hybrid of "Nathan" (a nice name) and "Either" (not a name at all). Just listen to how closely Eithan and Either resemble each other!

22. svartalfheim

svartalfheim Member

Choose what ever name you like really. One of my MC's name is Bryan. look at baby names and select a few you like. Then see if they feel right for your character, or if you like them enough to try and get them to work. slowly they would slip into place I think, but I personally like names that already feel right, otherwise it bugs the hell outta me!

23. Mckk

Definitely! Using a name you don't like creates disaster, or at least that was my experience. I gave in to pressure and named my MC Josh, against my better judgement, because everyone loves Josh - I don't even know why, I've never found it a particularly attractive name - not a bad name sure, but not a good name either for me. Anyway people convinced me to use Josh, and I did - I wrote 80,000 words using the name Josh.

And guess what? Josh ended up becoming the most wimpy, bitter, annoying, ungrateful character I've ever written. It just happened that way, I wasn't even trying. (I changed it to Will in the end, a name I adore, and it's been much better since!)

Sorry if any of you out there is called Josh! One of my favourite singers is Josh Groban, so there lol - I don't mind real people being called Josh, why not, it's not a bad name.

But what I learnt was - don't go against your instincts. If you don't feel right about a name, don't use it. Go for the nearest best name you can, write, and you can "Ctrl + F" and replace it later! But don't go all out and choose a name you have absolutely no liking for.

24. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

My name is Josh.

25. Mckk

Thought your name was Rafiki :p

I'm sorry Josh!