1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Checking-in to a guesthouse

Discussion in 'Research' started by OurJud, Aug 25, 2016.

The syntax of the title is all wrong.

Couple of questions. (may have asked something similar before, but I don't remember the answer)

1. Do the posher, more expensive guesthouses take cash?

2. What is required for the booking-in procedure? Just a name or do they require more?

2. Sal Boxford

Sal Boxford Senior Member

Like a B&B? Hotels usually want your name, home address and your vehicle reg if you've brought one. I'm not sure why they need your home address, unless it's credit card related, and I don't see how they could check you hadn't lied.

I've never stayed anywhere very posh. I can't imagine they'd refuse cash (or even if they would legally be allowed to refuse it.) I expect they'd want a deposit or some form of ID if you paid cash - so they can find you if you trash the room.

OurJud likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

1 - yes , very expensive places don't expect that their exclusive customers wil trashthe place (rock and roll hotels excepted) but the risk of that is covered in the extortionate price

2- you can ring up and book or book on line, but to hold a booking for definite you'll need to make a card payment (although some very high end places will accept you sending a flunky round with cash (or a corporate credit card)

Theres a place round here thats £700/per night (yep seven hundred its not a typo) , ive not stayed there but i know the manager and he once told me that some celebtities like to pay cash and use false names to keep their ahem activities discrete ... and the hotel absolutely honours that, discretion is part of why they can charge that kind of cash.

If you've got someone of the celebrity status of say Bono (and for legal reasons i stress its a hypothetical only I'm not saying he did or would) rocking up with someone elses wife for the weekend, it stands to reason that he might want to not sign his real name or use his credit card

The cheaper notel motel places are in fact more likely to want a card booking because they are the ones who's clients will trash the place and steal everything that isnt nailed down

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    OurJud likes this.
  4. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I've stayed in a few high-end places, and they usually want a card while you stay there & then you can settle up at the end of the trip with cash if you want.

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

So you
    So you don't pay for the rooms up front then? You tell them how many nights you want ans settle up at the end?

Perhaps I should explain the scene. I have two characters who've been on th eroad for a couple of weeks, living in the car. They now have money and want to check in to a B&B/hotel/guesthouse. He can produce his drivers licence as proof of ID and and no qualms about giving his real details, but they only have cash.

Excuse any typos. Just back from a meal and and drank a little too much.