1. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Years on a Chapter

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Morvane, Mar 11, 2012.

I have been fascinated in writing for who knows how long, and I have been successful in finishing a few short stories and a number of poems. I have not tried to get them published because I keep banging my head over a single novel that I just can't seem to get out of my head and onto the paper. It started as a weird dream I had one night and it developed into a story that I have a burning need to get down on paper and out into the public. However, nothing I write down on the paper does what is in my mind justice and I just end up throwing out each draft before it is finished. I think I finally got the prologue down :redface: I would very much appreciate some tips on how to get this fantastic Plot down on paper and actually finish it before i'm thousands of years old :D

2. LMThomas

LMThomas Member

Before I started writing my first novel (which is my current one), I went through the 20 novels I really liked, grabbed a pen, and copied down the first paragraph of each novel on a piece of paper. Actually writing down a bunch of novel openings really helped, and by the 5th one I had a great idea of how to get started, and once I started, everything just started to flow naturally.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Morvane,

Realize that the first draft won't be perfect. Get the story out and written from beginning to end. Then, go back and revise and edit. You'll be able to get the desecriptions, pacing, dialogue, action just right--or as close as one can. It'll take several drafts, so be patient.

Another thing I think you'll discover is that while writing, from the beginning to the end of your first novel, even the first draft, your writing will improve. Some because of practice, and some becuse you'll have been engaged in the story and it will flow better.

So, my advice would be to get that first draft written. Sure, you can go back and do a little revision if you want. Maybe just keep notes in a notebook or file of ideas with respect to things to alter, change, consider, add, etc. And while you're writing, read, but read to study how authors did what you're struggling to do. Then apply their methods, merging it with your writing style and story.

Hang in there.

4. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Hi Morvane,

This is a phrase you might hear often, and it seems to apply here too: "It depends."

What is your writing style? Do you prefer to just get started on your story, and improvise the plot? Do you have a general idea of what's going to happen? Or do you organize all of your information into outlines, summaries, and templates before you start writing?
    Everyone does this differently, and everyone finds different levels of success with each approach. I, for instance, prefer the organization method. I always create a nice plot/character/everything outline before I start writing. A friend of mine however, tends to simply write everything she can think of into a notebook, even if it doesn't make any sense, and then later construct something out of that.

Have you figured out which method best suites you? If not, that might be a good idea.

As an additional note, I've learned that it's never a good idea to throw out your drafts, even if they seem to be unbearably terrible. For every few thousand words of junk in a draft, it's not uncommon to find a really good idea or nicely constructed sentence that you can carry over.

Good luck!

5. Morvane

Morvane New Member

hmmm, there is a lot of useful comments here. Thank you all, I will keep it all in mind when I try to put my idea to paper.

As for my writing style, I usually see or hear something and it triggers things in my head. Sometimes the images I get are just a bundle of confusing pictures and sound but sometimes they form a coherent creation that I put to paper. Many of my poems and stories come from dreams or one of those sudden thoughts that pop up every so often. I have a little notebook I carry around with me so when a coherent idea builds in my head I can write down the general idea and build and reform it later when I have time. This novel I'm working on irks me cause it has been the clearest thought so far and I've had it since I had begun writing for love instead of school. I find my way of writing has served me well in all but that novel cause the plot keeps changing on me :mad: It seems to grow and change as I do, building and shifting everyday so it is hard to catch lol

6. Morvane

Morvane New Member

That is probably why I both Love and Hate it more then anything I've have written before

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I have one story that is my baby. Normally a chapter takes me an hour, maybe two to write, but this one I intend to take years over each chapter and make it perfect.

Every project is different if you are not satisfied with your progress though just bash out the rest of the story.