1. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

World Planning

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by pippin1710, Apr 2, 2008.

I have been planning out my fantasy series for a while now and am starting to get down in to the nitty gritty. I am basing my story in the "real world" in the age of sail (late 18th and early 19th century in particular) with all the good things such as magic. After the world was colonized there are only a few key nations that are dominate (britian north america france spain german russia china and japan and a few others) but there are a few things that i am stuck on and am asking your experience and guidance to help me thanks.

One thing is having the common weapons (muskets flintlocks cannons and swords) mixed with magic. In many novels in this genre the magical hero's use swords and magic when it is in the dark ages. So i am just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea or not thanks.

Another problem is should I use all fictional characters or should i really use the king of france and the king of spain and george washington. Although i like this idea I personally think it could wreck my plot since for e.g. king louis 16th would not be executed in the french revolution ect.. plus the history is different for e.g. Canada allied with the american colonists in the war of independence and are now one nation. Any thoughts about this all is apreciated
    thanks

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Muskets and Magic sounds cool to me. I say go for it. I've seen if done before so where is the problem?

Characters? Well, this is going the way of alternate history. You can make it anyway you want. Maybe Louis XVI wasn't executed. Maybe he lived. You could maybe have a fictional main character and a bunch of historical supporting characters. Maybe Susan B Anthony became an amazon warrior who was actually attractive instead of a very ugly womens rights hero.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Way to go, Hats; undermining feminism with sexism.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Not meant to be sexist. Just an example. If its alternate history anything is possible. Maybe Washington and Benidict Arnold swtiched places. Perhapse The War of 1812 went differently and Britain reconquered the US. Maybe Napoleon never rose to power, or the Visigoths never invaded Rome. Though, Susan B Anthony is an awefully weird example... No idea where that came from... especially since I was never a history buff in the 18th or 19th centuries... OH snap I'm holding a Susan B Anthony dollar. Go figure (Really though I am actualyl holding a Susan B Anthoney dollar).

5. adamant

I know what alternate history is, and I wasn't commenting on the fact that you changed her cause. It was more the fact that you critiqued her looks, which seems to be the exact kind of thing she was fighting against.

Somewhat like saying: "Yeah, you did all that good stuff, but you're still a woman."

6. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Thanks for your replies I think I will use fictional characters just so I can focus more on the good vs. evil fantasy rather than alternate history. I was wondering if lord of hats could give me the name of a good musket and magic book, since i have never seen it done except in the prologue of the golems eye. Thanks for the help

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

You mean fictional kind of musket and magic book or an actually like, literary encyclopedia style musket and magic book?

I guessing you’ve done a little reading with the Bartimaeus series of books (Golem's Eye?). You could try Lord Darcy by Randell Garrett. They have early style bolt action rifles, but the level of science in the series is pretty close to muskets. Best bet may be the Age of Unreason series by Gregory Keyes. It takes place in the 17th and 18th centuries and has magic mixed in. I haven’t read it but I have a friend who continues to butcher me to this day about it. I tend to see this mix more often used in the kind of work I find on writing forums like this one. They are rare and few between but they pop up every now and then. I've seen two or three.

I have seen if countless times in Anime and Manga. You get elements of the mix in The Last Exile, Hellsing, Fullmetal Alchemist, and there is the Final Fantasy series of games where the two or commonly mixed. Not necessarily, muskets, but firearms and magic begin mixed together. That might help a bit.

Honestly, you may be over thinking it. It’s a simple thing. This person has a musket; this dude has a magical fireball (Or lighting bolt. Lightning is always fun). Throw them together and let the bullets/balls of energy fly.

8. adamant

In the anime Outlaw Star, there were scholar-monks that possessed the knowledge of magics and could use them to attack. The main character, however, relied on his gun that utilized magic bullets known as 'casters' to protect himself when fighting such individuals.

That method would allow some magic products to influence and be affected by economic conditions. In addition, it could fuel help fuel exploration similar to gold.

9. Edward

Edward Active Member

Well, while your main character may not be a fictional person, he could interact with fictional people. Also, am I to assume that taking place in an alternate 18th Century that Pirates will be a big part? Also, Washington would be dead...

A few examples of famous Pirates, (though, they were active in the 17th and 18th Centuries, not the 19th):
    Anne Bonney
    Mary Read (both of whom sailed with)
    Calico Jack Rackham
    Edward Teach
    William Kidd

There were a bunch of Japanese Pirates who terrorized China and whatnot. Also, a good way to get the pirates from both sides together? Blow up Africa or South America. Or both. That frees up most of the world for piracy.

But that's only if the story deals with piracy. If it doesn't, well, ignore most of what I said. I only assume because you said "Age of the Sail"

10. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Yes washington died in 1752 so no he would not be dead but any way I am still thinking about the whole fictional characters or basing characters on real life. The problem that keeps popping up when I try this though is so I need a courageous heir to the throne of england a coward king of the spain and a stuborn french king but what ends up happening is that it does not work always with my plot. Also the way i plan my stories is that I need to know everything in the world. So if i use real characters it drives me nuts not having every single character in correct proportion -if that made any sense- thanks again I am really looking forward to your replys and apreciate the help

11. Edward

Edward Active Member

I went to look it up and he died in 1799, at 63 years old. I guess I didn't give him enough credit, I thought he was almost dead when he took office (people died much sooner back then). Good job Mr Washington. Jefferson was still my favorite though. Let's see wooden dentures double (triple?) the size of a continent that's barely a decade old.

But yeah, your problems. Use real people, they don't have to be exactly the same. That's the thing with Alternate History, Hitler becomes a painter and is replaced by Stalin as the Big Bad of the Century, Alexander or Napoleon actually conquers the whole of the globe.

Just read a little bit about them and go from there. Besides, it's not like most people would know anyway. Text books are about facts, not dead leaders personalities, most of which is inferred.

12. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

Thanks ive decided to follow your suggestion and keep the political rulers as fact but change them a bit and yes your right george died 1799 the date i looked up was when he entered the war or something.

13. riverfae

riverfae New Member

using real life historical figures

I recently read Naomi Novik (sp?) series which starts with His Majesty's Dragon. Excellent series that uses real life historical people. Its the age of the napoleon wars and there is a branch of military that uses dragons. Good luck!