1. brittanyls

brittanyls New Member

90s as a theme - need help with a conflict

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by brittanyls, Oct 19, 2015.

Hello all! I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.

I am in major need of ideas and would appreciate any input you may have.

I am in charge of coming up with a small skit for my university's lip sync competition and am having a lot of trouble. Each year, the competition has a different theme. Each skit has to follow this general story line - there's a homecoming football game, it seems like my uni will lose due to x conflict, conflict is resolved, football game is won. The skit is littered with short soundclips and references (ex. football player gets hurt and screams "MY LEG" from Spongebob). This is my third year participating, but I have found this year's theme to be particularly challenging. In past years I have had themes that were easily translatable to the story line, ex. Grease (football player's girl runs off with another guy, he can't win without her), and Game of Thrones (main football player is killed (injured to make it more tame), replace him with a dragon).

The 90s has a lot of great jokes and references, but it has been difficult to come up with a specific story line. So far, I know that I want to end with "bring in the dancing lobsters" after the homecoming game is won.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas!

2. Starfire Fly

Starfire Fly Member

I loved the nineties. Lol. At least compared to where we are now. But so much happened then. Don't they have any more specific parameters? Hm, I remember so-called heroin chic, grunge, rock waging a losing battle against "gangster rap"...and a lot of other nonsense. Maybe something about football players and drugs, or would that be too controversial?

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Likewise, the 90s were my formative years... but a hell of a lot happened then. Could do with a bit more direction as to what you are after.

4. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

The 90s.... *sigh*
    Okay, lets see...
    Will Smith was the Fresh Prince. Boybands were everywhere. The internet was so slow, the library was the better option. Lindsey Lohan was just another Disney Channel kid. Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were the consoles of choice. And the thing people got most upset about with the President was him getting a beej in the office.

5. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

And you got fresh with your mate's bell end.