Tags:
  1. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Caught in some rubble? There's an app for that.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lavarian, Jan 20, 2010.

From wired.com:

[​IMG]

That's pretty awesome!

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Wow thats really cool actually

3. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

If only there was an app to do schoolwork; then we'd be in business!

That aside, very interesting story. :D

4. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

Intriguing. And, I must admit, rather funny as well.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Insane. That's pretty amazing.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Considering how much devastation and heartache is taking place in Haiti, I can't help but feel this is in rather poor taste. I'm glad Mr. Woolley survived, but this story comes across to me as a tad insensitive at this time.

Note: I am stating this as a member, not in my role as a moderator.

7. Lavarian

I apologize if I came off as insensitive. I assure you, it was not my intent.
    Perhaps it would have been better suited for long after the ongoing tragedy.

Again- I apologize if anyone was offended.

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm not trying to start an argument, so I'm sorry if this comes across that way, but I think that it's because of the devastation that this story was so good to hear. Isn't it nice to know that even when all these bad things are happening, there are people who were there who came out of it alive? I can see where the "there's an app for that" approach was insensitive, but the story itself was still good to hear.

9. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Glad that he survived.

10. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Agree with Hidden^

Also, I think it's great that even the phone companies that seemingly only care about what's 'flashy' and 'cool' (Oh god I just sounded so old...) are still thinking of what might be useful about a portable device such as that. It saved that guys life. I think the fact that it has first-aid instructions like that on the thing is pretty damn nifty, and they were right to think of it.

Anything that can give you a chance of safety at your fingertips is good in my book.

11. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I think the title of the article might have been in bad taste, but it's nice to hear a good story about the outcomes of the earthquake. All I've been hearing lately is that this person died and churches fell and all these awful things. I even saw an Anderson Cooper bit on CNN during which he was saying that there's food, but no one is eating the food because it tastes bad. I'm sorry... but maybe he should just say that it's great food got there at all, considering the circumstances?

This article brought a smile to face, so thanks for posting it, Rob. :) And kudos to the iPhone and other smart phones for doing a very thorough job. If I were designing the app, I probably wouldnt have thought it important to include the bit about going into shock.

12. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I like the good news. CNN’s coverage, I think, has been in worst taste than this article. Though I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that

13. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I welcome every uplifting story during a tragedy. Mr. Wooley's story illustrates the human will to survive...no different than all the others who waited under rubble for help. It provides hope for rescuers who see far more failure than success. The fact that Mr. Wooley's mechanism for survival was an iPod makes no difference to me. A life is a life.

14. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I like hearing good stories like this. I think it's just how it was presented that makes it seem offensive. I know you don't mean to, but some people who read this would think that you're trying to make light of the situation.

And yeah, it is pretty interesting that one of the ways he managed to survive was by using his phone, but not to call for help.

15. NaCl

Rei - I didn't make the original post, and if I did, I probably would have chosen a different title, but that does not diminish the uplifting feeling I get when I read about EVERY rescued survivor.

16. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Wasn't replying to you, NaCl, and don't know why you thought I was, because the context makes no sense for me to be replying to you.

17. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

do you know there is an app to turn on your Christmas decorations... and one to lock/unlock/find your car... thats really cool I think.

This is a cool story though, if only we could all have I phones, then we could all save ourselves in earthquakes.

I've just realized that might sound really sarcastic, it's not meant to be sarcastic. I actually wish we could all have I phones.

18. arron89

arron89 Banned

Its interesting to see how Web 2.0 has played a part in providing aid and emergency rescue. People are tweeting messages to loved ones in other countries, tweeting locations of survivors, spreading messages internationally about ways to contribute. There are a whole heap of articles on wired.com outlining the way new tech is making the operation in Haiti much more efficient than it could have been before. It will be interesting to see whether Civil Defense and aid/relief organisations integrate these new technologies into their planning for future events now that their usefulness has been proven on the ground.

19. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Well, your post had the word "You" in it right after NaCl's. So, it seems like you were addressing him. Or rather, it seems that is how he interpreted it.

20. NaCl

No biggie...it's one of the quirks of communicating on the internet. It can be difficult to "hear" someone the way a comment was intended. Obvously, I misunderstood Rei's comment. Hmmm...wonder if there is an app for misinterpretation of internet comments? LOL

21. TyperShark

TyperShark New Member

I don't think it's necessarily insensitive, I think the story just focused from a different perspective. If the article's main point was on how the man survived, and that his iphone (which, thank god he had) was a signifigant tool for his survival, it would have a completely different reaction from readers. His phone was probably his biggest bet on keeping him alive, which is amazing. The fact that the headline was based on the nationwide "joke" [There's an app for that] may give off an unintentionally playful tone to the audience, since the article is really about how a man survived underneath a pile of rubble.

22. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

This article just made it on TV. CNN ran the story and had an interview with Woolley.

The reason he took photos was because his glasses had been broken. Being nearsighted, he was able to see what was around him in the display. That’s how he found the elevator.

23. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

This was an amazing survival story, and since the '...there's an app for that' just went right over my head I truly had no idea how anyone could find this post in bad taste until I read though all the comments.
    Cellphones, iphones etc have saved lives several times recently, haven't they? I'm sure I've read of people stranded on mountains and so on who've been rescued thanks to their 'appliance'--although this guy showed real ingenuity.

24. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1315610817673&ref=mf

it was on the news that people are using the modern technology to help the Haiti survivors, thismorning. Oh, and the link is to Robert Pattinson saying how Myspace, Twitter and Facebook have helped as well.

25. Lavarian

Robert Pattinson is my own personal CNN.