1. katica

katica New Member

You need to stop living in a fantasy world and start living in reality!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by katica, Apr 7, 2011.

Have any of you been told this?

Someone found out about my writing today and said this to me. I never said I didn't want to live in reality. I just enjoy my fantasy as well.

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Never had that happen to me.

I can tell you that fiction at least makes sense.

In reality, people do the stupidest things for no reason.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

What a stupid thing to say! I think it's perfectly possible to live in reality even though you're writing. And sometimes it's even nice to be able to escape from the reality for a little while while you're writing. It doesn't mean you live in a fantasy world the rest of the time and even for those who do; why would that bother anyone? They don't do any harm... Don't pay attention to comments like that.

4. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I've been told this as well. Though, I ignore such comments because I happen to enjoy my fantasy world a lot better than reality. In my eyes, an author is God of the world they create. I love having such power as to control my characters and control whatever happens within the story. In other words, I just like being in control.

Had whomever said this to you ever written anything or is an author themself? Those comments come to me by people who aren't authors. They don't understand the concepts and beliefes an author has. So don't worry about such comments, I never do.

5. katica

katica New Member

I'm very similar to you.

And you're right, they weren't an author and they didn't like to write things.

6. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I've pointed out how much money has been made by Lucas and off of comicbook characters.

Had the people who created all of that gone a conventional route we would have no fun entertainment and all of them would have lived and died working in some store or something. It's a loser mentality to put your friends down for trying something interesting.

7. ProwerGirl

ProwerGirl New Member

I've been told this many times. I always take it as a compliment, though, usually because it comes after me describing my latest work. None of my other friends like to write, so I'm one of the bigger oddballs of the group. The look on their faces when I tell them I wrote three pages or such in a day never gets old.

8. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

Yes. Everyone's world is seen through mind(which is why people are manipulating the mind). Mind is not reality either, because mind is biased to the extreme. So the person that told you that is totally ignorant. He/she can't define this reality. He/she probably had someone (powers that be) tell them what the real world is about.

What they really want is you to do is stop seeing life however you see it(I'm assuming you're 'different'), and become a person who came from 'the mold.'

9. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

If the statement relates to the genre you are writing, me the world's biggest fantasy hater agrees

10. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Whoever said this needs to be knocked over the head. What's it to him/her? It's none of their f-ing business!

Keep on writing. This is your life.

11. dnsralg

dnsralg New Member

My therapist literally told me the same thing 4 hours ago. Scary.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have seen people so caught up in make-believe that I worry about them coping with the real world, so I can't immediately judge whoever said that. Sometimes it is justified.

But sometimes it is simply that the speaker lacks imagination, or suffers from constipation of the soul.

13. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Been hearing that my entire life from my family. They think I should just become a school teacher or a lawyer like my older brother.

But I've recently shown them my writing and proved to them that I'm actually good at it and they quickly changed their tune.

I also always point out George Lucas, JK Rowling, and Stan Lee who are making millions off their fantasy worlds.

"If they can do it, why can't I?" is I usually say afterward

14. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Exactly :)

15. katica

katica New Member

You're right. In fact, not in just this way, but in others, I've always been "different."

Well, I do write fantasy and the person knew it, but I don't think he was referring to the genre.

LOL! You just reminded me that a therapist told me this too once. XD Because I told her I write and came to a session with a 500 page book in my hand once because I like to carry books around with me and sometimes sneak in reading them when I go places.

16. Allegro Van Kiddo

That last sentence is key.

Someone like JK Rowling is a great example of someone who wasn't born into position and when she was on welfare I'm sure many would have told her she needed a "job" before writing a stupid book. I don't know much about Stan Lee's background, but he was dealing with a subject that was heavily put down when he was younger and he went on to make a big cultural impact.

Also, when you step back and say "Batman" slowly and think about his costume----it's stupid! But, the way the character was developed made it somehow awesome. The last film made well over a billion, and quickly too.

It will likely be some other unexpected person who makes the next big thing.

17. Allegro Van Kiddo

I saw on the news that people are requesting "elf ear" surgery, and that's a bit caught up in my opinion.

18. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I used to do this. My kindle has made life so much easier :D

Don't worry about it. Some people will understand, some won't. You need to do what you need to do.

19. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Isn't it always? :)

20. Allegro Van Kiddo

When I was a kid in the 80s there was a big British New Wave music trend in the US. I noticed that media people liked to say that Band X is going to be "The Next Beatles" and that band would always fail.

I doubt anyone predicted the impact the Beatles would have or why they were liked so much. So, you can't title a band as the next to have that effect because the reasons for it are unclear. I'm sure there will be another Star Wars type success one day, but people won't see it coming until it's here.

21. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I'm sure whoever said this to you had good intentions. So the only question I would have for you would be does your fantasy life, whether writing or whatever, interfere with your normal 'real' life? If it does, you've got problems. If not, more power to you and enjoy your writing.

Cheers.

22. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

A balanced point of view, right here.

23. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

You know what some people will go over the top but then who am I to tell them it is wrong. It is marginally better I guess than the alternatives of alcohol and crack cocaine.

I just say why not lol Even before I started writing my mother and brother would say I was living in cloud cuckoo land. Well you know what I'd rather live there than real life sometimes - it keeps me sane, I am one of the few people I know who has been involved in an unprovoked antisocial neighbour situation of the severity we were who is not on medication for depression or spent time in a mental ward. I have come through some terrible things thanks to my fantasy world. I am not about to change it for anyone. It doesn't consume my life and not sure how it is any worse than a friend who would have a whisky instead.

24. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think having a whisky sounds worse.

The problem is when someone avoids dealing with real-world issues. I doubt spending time in a fantasy world can be a problem in itself.

25. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree - whilst it has the potential to be as addictive it does not have the same physical affects and could also be your ticket out of the situation it probably won't be but it can be.

It doesn't consume my life - I do know people who it does but I just feel if it wasn't their fantasy world it would be something else.

I am sitting in my pjs playing with two detectives in a fictional town and it is fun. They make me giggle and that is good after the week I have had.