Young Adult Border...

Discussion in 'Research' started by morningside, Jul 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Oh, I was talking about the OP. And my response was about commercial fiction books, since that's the type of book it sounds like she's written.

Anyway, if people want to see what a lot of teens are reading, you could check out YALSA or readergirlz.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Marina, I'm not an idiot. When I answer questions about this sort of thing, I don't worry about what is most popular in America. I look at what is most useful and might match the few details that the OP has provided. What is most popular does not represent all opportunities. I don't even care what's popular in America.

3. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

I have a confession to make.

I honestly had no idea the number of words actually mattered. I've always thought a story should just be as long or short as it needs to be.

4. marina

Rei, who said you were an idiot? :confused: I think you are reading something that was never there in my posts. We both love YA. I'm just throwing my opinion out there responding to the OP; tis all.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

My story would be for the older YA crowd.

...which is why i still say it's way too short to sell... the fact that one publisher may 'accept books of that length or shorter' for that age range isn't really relevant, since most won't and you shouldn't pin all your hopes on a single slim-to-none chance...

...and as others have said, to just try to pad out what you have, to make it long enough for its reader-market will almost certainly result in an unmarketable mess...

...you may have to face the fact that due to not having done the requisite market research first, you have put a lot of time and energy into something no publisher will want to put their money into, because it wasn't written for the appropriate market...

...in which case, you can consider it a needed lesson learned and start something new [or start over on this one, from scratch], with valuable knowledge gained that will result in a marketable book next time...

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Unless you believe I don't know what I'm talking about, why would you say I should check out "what teens are reading"?

Books of the length the OP's book, and shorter, are published in the older teens market. It's a waste of time to look at what's most popular because it changes so quickly and it takes way too long to get published to keep up. I'd rather use positive language and focus on what can be done rather than why it's unlikely.

And Maia, I got seven results for young adult using duotrope putting in 50,000 words for length, and 56 without using YA, since with a character in their tweneties, it could probably go into either one. As good a resource as it is, that site hardly provides EVERY opportunity available.

7. marina

[off-topic] Rei: I said "if people want to see what teens are reading". I know that you know what teens read since you & I both like YA books. I'm responding to the OP and anyone else who might not be clear on that. I apologize if I wrote that in a way that was offensive to you.[/off-topic]