1. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

Young Writer Problem

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Marcelo, May 26, 2008.

As most writers, my goal is to get published one day. One day. I'm 14 years old, and whenever an idea for a novel comes into my mind, I start scribbling it in my notebook. However, my enthusiasm and inspiration gets killed little by little when I think: "this script will never get published, you're a long way from getting published mate."

Help me in my suffering with examples! Is there an author who thought of one of his stories' plot at young ages? Any of you?

2. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn Contributing Member

Cherish those stories! I'm 22, and I recently found some stuff I did when I was younger. I've definitely improved as a writer technically, but the ideas are still great.

Don't get discouraged. I'm not published and I doubt I will ever be...but writing is still a hobby and a very fun pastime. I think if you're writing for the sole reason of getting published, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You need to write for you - for your pleasure, for your enjoyment. If you don't, you're bound to get burned out soon.

3. Marcelo

No... I write because I just love to, but I would simply love to get published also. That way, much more people can see my work :)

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn Contributing Member

Just keep at it and don't be in a rush...I know that's probably not what you want to hear, though I feel it's the best advice I can give you. Enjoy writing for writing's sake.

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Contributing Member

Keep writing, keep improving and never give up! You have talent and a love of writing, and if you want to get published badly enough, someday you will. Regard every new idea you have as a new spark - this could be the one that gets you published. And besides, if you don't try, you won't succeed!
    Never give up on your dreams, because they're one of the most precious things you'll ever have.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

I'm 14, too, but you couldn't stop me from writing if you bashed my fingers with a shovel. (Dictating software, anyone?) Now, the whole 'don't give up on your dreams' approach is nice, but when you're seeking some good hard motivation, it's far better to take a view that is practical.
    My view is this: The more I write now, the better I'll be later. And in such a rejection-filled industry, I need every single minute of practice I can get. And so, I write nonstop. I don't see it as publishing-type stuff--I see it as the type of stuff that will make it easier for me to get published later.
    It's the advice all those YA writers tell you on their websites that you never really listen to: Never stop writing. Sounds obvious, but it actually means something.

7. Lucy E.

'Never give up on your dreams' basically means 'keep writing and writing and writing until you're good enough', so I don't see where the lack of practicality comes in there.

8. BrightEye

BrightEye Member

Hi Marcelo, have you tried getting something published in a School magazine or something like that?

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Ah, okay. Apologies, and thanks for clarifying (specifically, clarifying without bashing my head in for being so rude =P).

10. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon Member

This is probably not what you want to hear, but it's the best advice i have. You are only 14, you have a lot of time to pursue your dreams. The worst that can come of you trying to get published and not getting published is that you gain valuable experience: which isn't bad in the slightest.
    Just don't concentrate on getting published and everything will turn out grand. But, if you can't stop thinking about it, try just writing excerpts or shorter fiction, that way you can 'test the publishing waters' and feel a sense that you've created something (which is always nice).

11. Lucy E.

LOL!
    I like your Xander quote, by the way. I :love: Spike, though. :D

12. MumblingSage

MumblingSage Contributing Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    If nothing else, those words are practice. And remind yourself: if the idea is good, you can always go back and rewrite the story.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice i'll just ditto... so, are you writing screenplays/stage plays?... or by 'script' did you really mean 'manuscript'?... whatever, just keep writing and when your work is ready to be 'born' into the cold, cruel world of the publishing/film/theater industry, it'll let you know...

as for your question, i don't know of any successful writers who came up with a plot at that age...

love and hugs, maia

14. Marcelo

Yeah, thanks everyone. I must improve my writing skills, but my English as well. I have practiced since I was like 7 years the English language, as it is not my natal tongue. Well, I'll write some chapters now xD

15. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black Contributing Member

I get the same thing sometimes, but the best thing to do is struggle forward and don't stop until your finished writing the entire book, pour your mental chalice into that bowl you call a book and get that victory under your belt!

The little voice in your head is always a killer, it's a serious drag, even when you wake up it's the same voice that says Five more minutes!, but no matter what don't listen. You'll get published one day. :)