1. Embrace the Rat

Embrace the Rat New Member

3rd person narrator

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Embrace the Rat, Jun 8, 2016.

I was having a discussion with a friend and we are trying to decide what say a narrator has in a 3rd person limited POV. For example:

Destiny sprinted up the craggy face of the mountain, nimbly hopping, stepping, like a great mountain cat, graceful and beautiful. She overtook the others and passed by Raven, who was a fair distance in front. He scowled at her as she slipped by, but she didn't stop, she didn't care.

With general limited pov belonging to Destiny, is her cat-like grace and beauty something on which the narrator can comment as in the example, or does third person limited restrict completely to what that character directly sees, thinks, etc

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Totally depends on the style of third. Both are valid. You can even zoom in and out, so some paragraphs are more distant and some are very much in Destiny's head.

If you're including things that Destiny can't possibly know (like, that Raven is thinking, "I wish she'd drop off the cliff") you're slipping out of third and into omni. The way round that would be to say that Raven looks like he's thinking "I wish she'd drop off the cliff." But you don't need omni to comment that she climbs like a mountain cat, graceful and beautiful, even if it's not something one is likely to say about themselves in first person or very close third.

Embrace the Rat likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are in true 3rd person limited, I would say that an omniscient narrator has just appeared on scene, pulled the camera off of Destiny's shoulder, and panned it over onto her. I would consider this a slip of POV.

Embrace the Rat likes this.