Your life outside of the forums

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GrandJury, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

funny you got nothing out of the college creative writing course, because you sound like you live the life of a college creative writing instructor. :superlaugh:

JLT likes this.
  2. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

I own a pet grooming shop and am here 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I do not groom, just run the front, so it is such a blessing to have so much downtime now. Now I have no excuse for not having the time to write, and I feel like I'm almost getting paid for it! Paying myself! woo hoo!

matwoolf and Shbooblie like this.
  3. Tangerinne

Tangerinne New Member

Look at you! That's like a whole story unto itself! :p It sounds exciting.

I currently am an at home advisor for Apple Inc doing tech support over the phone for customers. It's something I'm good at, and it's great to put that I've worked for Apple on my resume :-D. I could definitely make a career out of it if I so desired and move up in the ranks so to speak.

However! :p My boyfriend and I currently have a 2-3yr goal. We very much want to open up a retail store here in our local area within three years. I'll be going back to school in the fall to get my associate's in Business Management with a concentration in Marketing and a certificate in Accounting. This will allow me to handle most back office stuff for the store and the books and whatnot. We would carry vintage games, consoles and accessories, table top gaming, card games like Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh! and the like. Even though we won't make as much as we do now in our jobs (at least the first couple of years), it's daunting but thrilling at the prospect of doing something we've always dreamed about and being our own bosses. :D

Now, if I can be a bestselling author on the side, that's just the cherry on my cake of life ;P

4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I'm a house-husband... of sorts. My background is varied: music, art, theatre and computer science on the one hand and taxi-driving, warehouseman as well as other menial stuff on the other. So, as you can see, I'm extremely qualified to run a vacuum cleaner or dishwasher.

My wife works at Statistics Canada doing things she can't really talk about, but when picky technical issues arise, she calls me to talk through them. My brother-in-law used to do the same thing back when he was starting in IT. And strangely, my paper qualifications never allowed me to work in computer science... not that I would be all that thrilled to do so.

These days, I spend my time either writing, flogging myself for not writing, or working myself into a lather over some plot I'm trying to work out... or watching TV.

And it's still frickin' winter here. The snow came back yesterday and they didn't plough the damned sidewalks so going for a walk is not something I'll be talking myself into today. (sigh)

5. Sack-a-Doo!

I've thought about doing this several times in my life, but never had the courage. I'm always afraid I'll find I'm totally unsuited to 'bean counting' and I'd fail out.

So, good on you for having the wherewithal to do this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Tangerinne likes this.
  6. Sack-a-Doo!

The cabbage patch. Everybody knows that. ;)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Sack-a-Doo!

If you don't mind a bit of advice...

Major in English (that covers two of your possibles although you'll have to do teacher's college, too) and minor in one of the others.

Then, make as many connections as you can while in college (and everywhere else). It's usually the connects rather than the diploma/degree that'll get you in a door to a career. Be open to anything that's offered, especially if it's offered twice, because even if it seems miles away from where you wanna go, we never know which road will lead to our ultimate goal... and happiness/success.

Possum and Kinzvlle like this.
  8. Sack-a-Doo!

See? I told you it was a cabbage patch.

9. Sack-a-Doo!

Sounds like you're no stranger to irony. ;) A writer's life is built right in!

BruceA and Oscar Leigh like this.