Your manifesto as a storyteller

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lifeline, May 1, 2016.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I want people to see my characters as real people. To laugh with them, cry with them, want them to succeed, want them to be happy. There's nothing magnificent about my stories, but the characters are real to me. I care about them. It actually wounds me a little when readers don't like characters they're meant to like, in the same way it'd wound me if someone said they hated a friend.

Interestingly, likeability [intentional misspelling] of characters is one of my weak areas. I'll keep trying. :)

2. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

To explore the moral quandaries of today's society, educate and entertain the readers and at the end of each story, leave them a little bit smarter and a little bit wiser than they were before.

That's basically it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

I know what my manifesto is, and I know what it should be. Both are different and I work towards a single manifesto.

What it should be: Have something to say, and tell it well enough to entertain.

What it is?: Some subjects I like, not many write about them in the way I want to read it. Cool things are cool. I want cool stories with cool things. I want to learn how to tell a solid story.

Going with that and actually having something to say escapes me because the end product might be cool as all hell, yo, but a meaningful something, in the end, to ponder for a few days after? Nope, not really there. Not yet. The larger projects are starting to shape with a point of awareness to make. The much more prevalent short stories and flash I propagate, are more curiosities or scenes of "cool" ideas. I'm working to combine the two into: I want, to a higher level, work myself into a capable storyteller of "cool" themes with something dangerous to say and ponder over a few days after.

It's all about educating myself and through practice steering myself to that goal.

Lifeline and RahnyJae like this.
  4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

To tell a great (or at least enjoyable) story. I do have themes, and things that I may wish to touch on through the writing but in the end it`s a story. While I do have meanings behind most things in my tales, even if that's not what people take from it as long as the story enthralled them I have done my duty. Regardless of the message I like to tell people will always interpret things their own way and that's one of the wonders of liture. I do enjoy to put things to mull on, and regardless things of my world views will leak in, but if I can just get someone reading, practicing hte empathy with my charter, or analytic thinking reading cultivates then I`ve done my job especially when many high schoolers (in my proximity at the least) don`t take the study of lit as seriously as a exercise in empathy and anyalatcel thinking that it is.

As long as I tell the story I want to tell, that someone wants to read and that they take something from regardless of if it`s intended or not (so long as it`s not like harming someone else or etc, I'd hope no one takes anything I write as a call to violence or harm.), i`ve done my job. Getting people, reading, thinking, empathizing, and just enjoying. Especially in a world like today that last one is more important than it may seem, while themes are all grand and good never underestimate the need for escapism. Escapism can even immerse someone further into the story and make your messages more easily slipped in there, hence why I enjoy the idea of bent mirror fanstey. Using fantasy settings to highlight certain society based things, and etc. I can highlight and discuss what I see fit in a packaging that's may be seen as more palpable. Not everyone may want to read a book on modern day racial divides if they are say an escapist reader or merely find the matter to heavy for a leisure activity. A story about dwarves pushing for xenophobic policies, elves being feared for their relgoin, half-elves being ortichised, and etc can touch on that theme while still telling stories of dragon slaying and magical blades.

Oscar Leigh and RahnyJae like this.
  5. Laze

Laze Active Member

I guess the manifesto of the thing I'm working on is to show how insignificant humanity is, as well as touch upon this arrogance that seems to be in many written stories, how humanity tends to persevere against all odds despite it being frankly ridiculous. I'm a human, and I do want humanity to survive for as long as possible, but let's face facts: we'd get absolutely bangered if we were attacked by aliens with the technological means to even travel to our planet from hundreds of light-years away.

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I agree things like Independence Day are silly. But significance is relative. Significant compared to what? On what scale? How do you decide what characteristics give that grading? I like to think that we give our live our own meaning and significance and that's all we need.

7. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I'd really just like someone to please take me seriously.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

:superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh: You're so funny. :superwink:

9. Laze

Laze Active Member

Significance on a cosmic scale, essentially Nihilism. As in, humanity doesn't need to exist. There are some people who don't even realize that any meaning they apply to their life is utterly arbitrary, and doesn't hold any value at all. So I suppose a lot of it is aimed towards those types, because I imagine it'll be an interesting read if they've never really thought about life in that way.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

I think my general manifesto is a conviction to show people how wonderful it is to dream, and for them to do it more often.

11. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

I really like that and I think it is similar to my manifesto. If I were to word it myself I would say, "I want to challenge everything for the sake of challenging it. Even challenging that statement in the process. I want to help people realize that progress starts with a dream."

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

I don't know.

I always wrote in private for myself. I liked the words, seeing them open up, changing them and sharpening them. I live for the perfect description of the images in my head, the rush of narrative driven by strong characters, and stories that are just plain fun. When I was seven I would tell my brother Land Before Time fan-fictions as we lay in our bunk beds, Sarah and Chomper joining forces with Captain Bucky-o-hare and the Swat Kats to fight retro Doom demons. But I'm dyslexic, and couldn't read until I was 12. Even now, I can only write because of keyboards and computers; My hand-writing looks worse than my five year old son's.

Lately, my writing has been rewarded more than I ever thought possible. I came here to learn as much as I could, thinking I was a cave man amoung Greek gods, but it seems we are all cave people in our own ways. There are so many great people here that lift you up and never put you down, and I can never thank you enough for all the actualization.

I guess I don't have a manifesto. I write because it makes me happy, and lately others happy too. I did this on my phone while someone was going 'potty'. Enjoy.

Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  13. SomePenName

SomePenName Member

Write like The Jersey Shore.
    Enrage people with how compelling it is.
    Make them enjoy it in secret, so others may not know just how much they do.

14. ScribeJun

ScribeJun New Member

im an art student, first and formost, and really its my first few attempts at writing, but before even that, i want to become a storyteller. my lifelong dream is to have what i have drawn, what i have written be enjoyable for the people who read what i put out there; and when im gone, that they remember, and pass it along to friend and family.

zoupskim likes this.