1. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

Your Method For Creating Synopsis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SuttonMichael254, Jul 28, 2012.

Im talking to a publisher right now and i sent her my synopsis, its only the 2nd iv done and im pretty sure its weak. Iv read many methods for writing them. The way i did mine was going down my scene list and breifly discuss the important parts, iv heard that if its longer than 2 pages then its too long.
    Just wondering what everybodys method is so perhaps i can make mind a little stronger.

2. Steph4136

Steph4136 Senior Member

What I did was go through my book and take notes of key events chapter to chapter. That ends up being very long of course and I'd have to whittle and whittle until I got my synopsis down to 2-3 pages.

3. BBBurke

BBBurke Member

Here's what I do, maybe it will help.

I start from big and work down to fill in. Think of the book as a play with 'acts'. Write a single sentence describing each act. Then look at each act and expand it to a paragraph (or two). Keep going until the have the length that is required. This makes sure that you always have the big picture and overall themes/arcs included. If you just start at the beginning and try to summarize it often ends up being a list of what happens, which is not the same as a good synopsis of the story.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how long it should be depends on what each agent/publisher wants... some want a single page, some a variable 'short' [1-2 pages], some want a 'medium' [3-5 pages] and some a 'long' [6-10 pages]... always send only what's specified and if it's not in their submission guidelines or mentioned in their request, ask!

it should always be written in simple, declarative present tense and include no dialog...