1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Your novels theme song

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alesia, Nov 8, 2013.

Is there any one song you feel just fits the "mood" of your book? The one you could picture being at the ending credits or in a preview if it were adapted to film? Or that one that just gets you in the groove to write that piece and seems to connect you with it?

I'd say What It's Like by Everlast fits with Rain When I Die perfectly as a main theme.

I'd also throw in music from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Puddle Of Mudd, Pearl Jam, and R.E.M. as well as classically composed music similar to this...

And other stuff similar to Braveheart since the MC hails from Scotland.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Even though my novel is a YA sci-fi with a decent bit of action, I still feel that it's a drama about learning to cope with life in space, and coupled with his engagement at the end of the book, I think something softer would be more appropriate (as it's also creepy, because of the trouble that is to come). I only think the first 40 seconds is appropriate, though:

@Alesia - I can definitely see this sort of song in the end credits. :) What genre is your book?

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Funny.
    This is something I often think about.

I think at one point I had a very specific theme.
    Probaby Lord of Cinders from the Dark Souls OST.

However, as I developed the world, a new song fit it better.
    Notably the very last part.
    All that grace and poise in something you'd never expect to find it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

The story I'm closest to finishing (which admittedly isn't saying much) works better as 4 short stories than a single novel, so the songs for each part would probably be:

1) People Like Us (Kelly Clarkson) or Sinead (Within Temptation)

2) St. John (We Are The Fallen)

3) Last Man Standing (Hammerfall)

4) Mad World (Gary Jules)

5. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

@Thomas Kitchen I classify it as General Fiction, but due to the main characters age brackets (both are mid-twenties) it could fall into the Y/A category. It's a story about drug addiction, depression, and suicide.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I can't say my stories have theme songs, but I do sometimes compose my own music to go along with them. Someday I want to make recordings of myself reading my stories aloud, accompanied by this music. I've experimented with this in the past, but I haven't gotten results I'm happy with yet.

7. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I do love a good audio book.
    I have to say I get a lot of inspiration from music so it's very common for me to have a soundtrack in my head that I listen to regularly when developping characters.
    Sound just inspires me mostly in architecture and theme songs for characters.

8. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

Too lazy and inexperienced to post links to the songs. Please do not bite me.

1st novel: "Suffocation" by Crystal Castles. It's a distorted kind of song, with a lot of scratchy sounds going on (like my MC's messed up mind) and the lyrics are about depression/suicide (MC's going down that path) but the end is very light and clear, like the end of the novel should be (MC finds enough peace to break out of that depression). I have a whole playlist for writing this novel. I won't post everything.

NaNo: "Ambitious Outsiders" by the lovely Morrissey, "I Stand Corrected" by Vampire Weekend. The lyrics of the latter don't go with the book, but the feeling you get from listening to it does.

9. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

No theme decided for first script, second script opens with this (at least, that's how I envision it):

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It's hard to choose only one, I'd have a few Radiohead, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey songs on the soundtrack if I could, but ifI had to choose one, it's be this:

Shbooblie and Steerpike like this.
  11. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Minibosses - Kraid's theme. This song inspired my and KaTrian's current WIP all those years ago. It just carries the "feel" of space, it's darkness, vastness, and lethal nature perfectly. Oh, and Metroid totally kicks ass...

12. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

I tend to gravitate toward "Mouth" by Bush or "Mad World" by Gary Jules. When I'm writing, I find myself listening to a lot of Bush...Gavin Rossdale's voice is just hypnotic =)

T.Trian and Delise like this.
  13. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

I usually have a whole soundtrack playing in the background, but my current project is almost entirely accompanied by Warren Zevon's "My Shit's Fucked Up". Oh yeah. :)

14. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I'm currently working on a story and its about a husband and wife and it was inspired by the song if i didn't have you by the singing duo thompson square. So for that specific story its

theme song would be If i didn't have you by thompson square.

15. Delise

Delise Member

I listen to

Pink Floyd
    `s "Wish you were here"

Tool`s "Lateralus"

and

Dir en grey
    `s "Mushi"

the most.

Yeah, they move me the most for my dramatic pieces. I could seem them at the ending...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    pyroglyphian and T.Trian like this.
  16. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

For my novel Relic Tech, I think this would be the closest:

17. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Yes. My current novel has a theme. Not just a song, but an overture. Later this year I should have my recording studio arsenal built up enough to get it into an AVi or Mpeg. Considering the nature of "fair use" in one discussion, I encourage all literary artists to team up with the artist types they are not and be original. Certainly expands one's horizons and simplifies the copyright issues.

The question is "How far can one go in finalizing their eBook?" Amazon appears to accept audio file (audiophiles? :) ) although I didn't see if they could be mixed into the book's medium, i.e. a PDF. I'd have to look closer to see if the eBook could be distributed as a zip or rar, etc. and contain more than just the written book.

Ultimately, I want to turn at least parts into anime and include music to underscore the A/V art portions. Any opinions as to whether I should make two separate versions? One illustrated and auditory while the other is just a cover and the text?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  18. Laze

Laze Active Member

The feeling and lyrics of this song encompass my novel perfectly.

I can imagine this playing when my MC is going through the struggles that he does in the story—his face riddled with anger and dried tears. Be so coooool.

Shbooblie likes this.
  19. JoshC

JoshC New Member

If I had to pick just one, it would be Dangerous Business Since 1979 - particularly the bit where there's a brief conversation between the singer and his 'conscience'.

Though I could pick dozens of songs that have given me some sort of inspiration. If copyright infringement wasn't a thing, song lyrics would be included at the beginning of each of my chapters.

20. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

This is a song that I find really resonate with my latest novel. Both for the music and for the lyrics (which I realize not many of you will understand since it's in swedish, but you know... O:) )

21. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  22. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

"The Story" by Brandi Carlile. And no, I'm not saying it just because I'm writing a story.

23. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I don't have one for the book, but I do use songs as reference points for characters. Cael's, for example, are Bastards by Defeater, and You're Gonna Go Far, Kid by The Offspring.

(the bassline on that song is amazing)

24. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

pyroglyphian likes this.
  25. Franz Hansen

Franz Hansen Member

I don't know about the entire novel, but I feel Robert Miles' "One and One" fits my two main characters rather well--especially in my second book.