1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Too weird/too prophecy like ?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elgaisma, Feb 11, 2011.

This is more worldbuilding than plot creation but we don't have a world building forum and it will impact on plot. I am having one of those cleaning and meditating on story times and came up with a thought - not sure it makes sense yet so bear with me.

The number of sets of twins in my books has always concerned me a bit its a bit cliche for fantasy (I have around four sets - one created themselves arrived that way, one were necessary for paternity reasons, the other two for description reasons (reduced the amount of description for different races). I just put it down to me growing up with them (twins run in my family and in a primary/elementary school class of nineteen we had four sets).

Anyway the main theme of my stories is balancing a universe that is a living organism. Each of my twins are descended from the Abbot or the King. They are usually the heirs.

Would it be weird to have the reason being they are needed for balance? Also in the case of one set they were actually born eight hundred years apart but still have the connection ? This happened when the set of twins supposed to take the place of the King and Abbot messed up and couldn't.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I don't understand - what's your question? :confused:

And what balance? You mean like, without the twins, the world will collapse because of some sort of energy thing?

3. Elgaisma

Thanks for asking the question, just looking for thoughts really to help with me brainstorm this - it all helps lol Sometimes I am not sure where my mind is going and this one of those times.

Basically my stories are set on a planet that is a a fixed point in space and time. It is at the centre of the universe and the universe revolves round it. The universe is the Universal Father or is inside him. The planet at the centre function as the eternal/internal organs - basically cleaning energy and pumping it back round the universe. The sea on the planet is called the De'il Sea (old Scots for Devil) - legend works that every creature in the universe came out of this sea and was then transported to its allotted place in the universe.

On the planet in order to keep the sea happy and the universe alive there are five sets of people. The elemental Kings/Queens and the elemental Abbots/Abbesses they rule four of the countries and have to be in place or balance will be disturbed, if it becomes too deeply disturbed the universe and the universal father die. There is also the couple in charge of the fifth element or the universal energy - they are the Father Abbot/Mother Abbess. Right now there are two Father Abbots, I know they have a special connection.

Would it it be too weird if the notion of what a twin is, is different to here on earth? its actually related to their connection as well as their DNA ?

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I think this pretty much answers it. :) It's a good theme - as a twin, I say go with it. :D

5. Elgaisma

Does it still work if they are born 800 years apart lol ?

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Anything works if you write it well and make it believable; you're the author, rock it. Do what you want. :)

7. Elgaisma

lol looks like its happening whether I like it last night one little line in my work in progress concreted it in there last night.

8. nzric

nzric Active Member

My wife was in labour for 24 hours and that was hard enough! :p

9. Elgaisma

LOL as tempting as it is to do that to the wicked *&%( that is the mother of one of them ...

10. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Things I like about your idea:
    -the universe as a living organism concept. I believe this applies in real life as well, to the universe and to planets.
    -your idea about the twins does not sound cliche.
    -I like the idea of balance. Again, this applies to real life.

Things I don't like:
    -I'm not a fan of the centrism theme. This does seem cliche, and places too much importance on the individual planet in the supposed center of the universe.
    -Individual races on a specific planet providing balance for an entire universe seems out of scope.

How can it be fixed: Does your story have to be told on a universal scale? Why not just take it down to planetary level, so the "fate of the universe" doesn't ride on the balance of 5 races on 1 planet?

11. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Another thing I like about your idea. Here on planet earth, we could learn a thing or two about balance and a living planet. Your story could have a higher meaning, which I suspect may be part of your plan already.

12. Elgaisma

At present it is three novel length stories and a novella. (all with at least a first draft)

My stories roughly follow a creation, fall, flood, atonement pattern - not biblical in tone (except for Noah Flood and his spaceship). The idea is that this planet is the point of creation and is the vital organs of the universe. If the planet is destroyed it would be like your heart stopping or brain dying, the other places its more like losing a limb serious but everything can continue.

For my atonement type story it absolutely has to be universal or the price is too high - it has to be all is lost for everyone, nothing would ever exist. It takes the story out of being sick and twisted - what happens is the protagonist and antagonist both lose out, the protagonist performs an act of great evil for the greater good and antagonist tries to prevent it for the greater evil.

13. Elgaisma

not really lol I don't plan hence introducing an idea that will mean rewriting two books and a novella :)

14. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

No, I think that's your master plan. lol. jk.

15. Elgaisma

lol nice to know I have a plan :) My world has been built mostly out of what my stories need to work.

my master plan for my first book was old king and crown prince die, seventeen year old screw up becomes king in his place. His girlfriend bullies him into marrying her. That was all I had.

My second book master plan was Queen gets kidnapped possibly with the lover of brother of the MC in the first book. Then either MC from first book and brother go and find her - or brother and his lover (if he didn't get kidnapped lol).

I had another book that became part of the second book - brother has his mind invaded by his sister and turns 'evil' lover rescues him. I combined these two stories.

It was to end with the brother and lover dancing round their bedroom in their undies.

My third book master plan was to set it one hundred years or so in the future, involved time travel, death of brother's lover, and brother is running a school. Was supposed to be light and funny - turned out to be a scarily dark story,