1. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

Your 'portfolio' when submitting to publishers

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Little Miss Edi, Oct 21, 2008.

Hello All,

Just a quick question for your infinte wisdom. :p

When submitting a query letter you are advised to mention previous peices you have had published or prizes you've won - so on and so forth.

But how do you include these? In a list, as a separate portfolio/bibliography thingy/list with dates, and with examples? And if you've got quite a few - surely you don't include them all? If you submit for a magazine regularly do you put that you 'regularly submit and are published' or do you list the features you've had published?

I've got a portfolio/scrapbook (you know how it goes - Ooh! Look they published my work *gets scissors and hacks out the page then stick with pritstick to a black card scrap book* date, issue number etc) But that isn't suitable for a submission. So what is?

That said, I'm not submitting work at the moment, so this isn't urgent. But it has got me wondering as I was updating the 'little black book' today.

Edit: Oh, btw, have had a burrow through all the other posts on query letters and things and NaCI's links in Grumps thread were really useful. But I'm still wondering... esp. if your previous work isn't related to novels or fantasy but non-fiction and magazines. :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...not 'prizes' unless they're for well-known and respected competitions of major standing... and only published work you were paid for...

...no, just in the last paragraph of the query letter...

...of course not... you just give an overview of what kinds of work you've had published in paying venues... and specifically mention only those that would relate to the work you're submitting...

...if you're submitting to a magazine, you'd mention more of your magazine credits than you would when submitting a book to an agent/publisher...

...in the latter instance, no one will be terribly impressed by your specific magazine credits, but an overview does tell them your writing is good enough that you've been paid for it...

...'submitting' means nada... only what has been published that you've been paid for counts... if you've had a lot of work published/paid for in one magazine, just say how many pieces of your work have been published there, if you want to be that specific...

...some magazines will ask for 'clips'... in which case you send them copies of several of the best pieces you've been paid for... you don't send anything to agents/publishers you query for a book...

...wondering what?... if you are submitting a book ms, whether your magazine work is relevant?... if that's what you meant, it's not very, other than to show that your writing is good enough for you to have been paid for it... so, if this is in re a query for a book, keep the reference to other writings brief and restricted to what brought in cold, hard, cash...

hope this answers your questions... hugs, maia

3. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

Thanks Maia!!

Sorry for my bumbled questions! Really and truly appreciate your help.

You are indeed wise! :p

4. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

Maia to the rescue, as always! So just to clarify, that one poem that I published a while ago, should not be mentioned unless I'm crazy enough to try to write and submit more poems?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

right, rei!... and not even then, unless you were paid for it... freebies don't count...