1. Spuddfluff

Spuddfluff New Member

Travel thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spuddfluff, Feb 21, 2010.

Hi guys, this thread is about travel.:eek:
    The world is all about travel, and I'd think being more worldly might help with writing for a larger audience. Travel is also a joy in itself, so why not take that joy and stretch it a bit further by showing off.

Post the countries you have been too, then in a second part post countries you want to go to, and for what reason.

Ill start us off then

I have been to:

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Austria, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Slovenia, Estonia, Malta, Russia, Tunisia and Egypt. (I live in England).

Countries I want to visit consist of:

America (because how else will I get my citizenship?), Australia ( I want to go to every continent), South Africa (watch a rugby match), Japan (it has everything), Singapore (there's a statue of my English teacher I HAVE to see), Brazil, and finish it off with Antarctica.

Your go.

2. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I have not been fortunate or wealthy enough to travel frequently, but I have visited my homeland of Ecuador whenever I could.

I cannot say I have a measurable inclination to visit any other particular nation, but if the opportunity was available I definitely would.

3. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I have been to New York and Penslivania, Tenesse, and whatever states you have to travael through to get there. I was also supposed to go to Texas this summer but that didn't exactly work out.

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Been to Belgium (that's where I live, duh), Holland and France. I know, that's little. :p

I'd love to go to England, Italy, Spain, Greece, Egypt, America, Australia... and lots of others... and if I can, I most definitely will. :)

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I live in America, and I've been through some of the midwest and east coast, but I havent had much opportunity to visit the west coast yet.
    I've been to Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, New York, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Arizona.
    I dont count airports, but if you did, I'd have visit almost all fifty states. ;)
    I've also been to France; it's the only time I've been outside of my country.

I want to go to:
    Spain, France (again), England, Italy, Vatican City, Germany, Greece, Morocco, Egypt, Kenya, Russia, China, Japan, New Zealand, Venezuela, Columbia, Argentina, and Brazil. I'd also like to eventually see my own country's western coast.

Lofty goals, certainly, but I intend to work very hard to visit at least some of those countries.

6. lessa

lessa New Member

I have been to the states quite often.
    But when you live in the most beautiful country in the world and in the best spot in that country why go any where else.
    North Western Ontario has all of what I desire.
    Would like to visit Ireland to see where my ancestors came from.

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I was an army child, and when I was younger I found it very hard to stay in the same place for long. I've lived in:

Cyprus, Malta, Germany, England, N. Ireland, Hong Kong, The Philipines, Singapore, France, Spain, Turkey.

I've visited:
    Every Scandinavian (my mother's half Danish) and W. European country (including Greece) except Finland and Portugal. I've been to some of the Greek islands, although not Crete--I'd like to go there and probably will do soon. I've only been to Bulgaria and what was then Yugoslavia (Dubrovnic) in E. Europe.

I've been to Morocco, Libya, Egypt and Tunisia but never ventured further into Africa. I'd like to visit South Africa.

The country I'd really like to visit is Russia. Ironically, it's right on my doorstep, so to speak, and my husband does lots of work near St.Petersburg and in Belarus. Hope to go there one day in the near future. Also love to visit Australia (have loads of cousins there, my grandmother was born in Melbourne in 1898, she came from one of the oldest families there).

So many places, so little time...

8. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I heard someone say that he'd always wanted to visit England. I asked him why, and he said that he loved the countryside, the people, the villages, and climbing up and down Ben Nevis. Not the most informed traveller, that guy ;)

I've only visited Ireland, the Isle of Man (Crown dependency), Canada, and France (Breizh). My girlfriend, though, who is a talented linguist, has visited:

- Ireland
    - Iceland
    - Norway
    - Denmark (Greenland)
    - France
    - Italy
    - Finland
    - Russia (Far East)
    - Mongolia
    - Canada
    - Ghana
    - Australia
    - India
    - Pakistan
    - Bhutan
    - Spain

9. madhoca

Wow, Gallow, how could I forget that I've often been to Scotland--Edinburgh loads of times: fiance of that era was at Herriot Watt Uni, and the outer Hebrides (an army outpost). And I actually lived in the Isle of Man for six months (again, father was on short posting there). Outer Hebrides and N. Ireland had the most insanely beautiful mystical scenery I've ever seen, but as my father is from Devon/Cornwall my favourite place in all the world is still Dartmoor.

10. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

from america, lived in a few states, so when people ask where i'm from, i usually just say "the south" (florida, tennessee, alabama and louisiana are where i've lived)... because no matter where i am, i always seem to be from the south... in japan, i lived in the southernmost main island, i've lived in south korea, and southeast china (yeah, i lived in three foreign countries, but that's not nearly enough for me)

as you might be able to gather, i don't really 'travel', so much as i just move ;) the only place i've 'traveled' to was the philippines a lot, since that's where my boyfriend lives/is from, but never officially lived there... but i was there when i was 'between countries' for a month, though i guess i might have been technically 'living' in america, i just wasn't there. hehe~

when i say i want to go everywhere, i mean it. everywhere. except maybe antarctica.. maybe i don't wanna go to antarctica.

i want to go to ghana and greece and costa rica and new zealand and nigeria and turkey and spain and norway and egypt and ireland and kenya and burma(myanmar) and brazil and tibet and france and panama and thailand and etc etc, but i'm going to stop naming countries, since you probably get the idea by now.

11. madhoca

Don't miss Antarctica Kanga, there are some really interesting penguins there I hear...

12. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

You've visited the Hebrides? What about the Highlands? ;)

13. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Wow, I'm really jealous of you all :D

Well so far I've only been to Croatia and London and that's all. I blame visas for this problem, 'cause I'd like to travel all around the world.

The places that are on my top list are France, Italy, Russia and Ireland.

Great thread, by the way.

14. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

lol! ... i hear there are penguins on other continents too though, soooo.... :/

and like you, leah, visas are a pain in the butt... being an american, it's usually a little easier to get visas (unlike my boyfriend who can't even visit the states without a visa, which is hardly likely that he'd get a visitor's visa... maybe a different kind later on though ;) ), but i can't get a visa to go everywhere :( i wanna go to everywhere!

15. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    There are loads of places that i'd love to visit, but have neither my own funds nor time available until I become this thing called 'a working adult'. Right now i'm a uni bum, so just living an hour from home most of the time is travel enough :eek:

However, I am reading Bill Bryson's Notes On A Small Island, and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's hilarious to see Britain from an American's eyes, and especially one so witty as Bryson.

He's written alot of travel-books, though they're alot less history based and alot more entertaining. I'd recommend them to anybody who wants to read some very amusing creative non-fiction. Especially if, like me, you're unable to travel anywhere; reading about it's the next best thing. :)

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

by planes/trains/buses/cars/rvs/ocean liners/ferries and hot air balloon [yes, for real!]:

us [45 of the 50 states... born/raised in ny, lived longest in ny/connecticut/california/nevada]
    canada [all but 3 provinces]
    mexico [all of baja + various cities on mainland, as far south as puerto vallarta]
    bermuda
    antiqua
    grand cayman
    puerto rico
    jamaica
    trinidad
    curacao
    st martin
    st kitts
    venezuela
    panama
    colombia
    england
    spain
    mallorca
    france
    switerland
    belgium*
    lichtenstein
    germany
    netherlands*
    italy
    sicily
    malta
    egypt
    morocco
    algeria
    gibralta
    greece
    turkey
    jordan
    israel
    thailand
    australia*
    new zealand
    tinian
    saipan
    japan*
    korea*

[* airport/train station only, in transit]

plus, spent 6 weeks at sea on a container ship, sailing from new zealand to london, by way of the south pacific, south atlantic and north atlantic oceans and the north sea...

there's nowhere left that i would want to go, though i'd love to go back to the places my heart and soul are most 'at home'... greece, malta, and the hopi rez...

17. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

State-wise, I was born in Florida, lived in Maine, and now reside in Buffalo, NY.

I've been to Canada more times than I can count, to Toronto and Quebec City mostly. Living in Buffalo, its a cheaper vacation and a shorter drive than most of the United States, including New York City XD

I lived in Germany for a year as well, in Northern Bavaria near Frankfurt-am-Main. It's a beautiful place :) I'd love to go back.

I think if given the opportunity I would spend the money to go back to Germany or to travel more extensively in Canada, rather than try to explore a whole new country. Airfare is expensive and seeing my friends from those places trumps seeing any new places.

18. rory

rory Active Member

WOW. Some of you are really well travelled. I left my home country of Canada for the first time last spring to go to the states for my sister's wedding. I've gone back four times since but didn't get to see much because it was for work not pleasure.

I'd really love to road trip all over my own country and the USA. There are a lot of beautiful places to be admired. (24 hour daylight in the north, and that sweet highway on the ocean from Florida to the Keys!) I'd also like to go somwhere in Asia, and maybe Australia, and New Zealand.

19. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I've been to New York, Buffalo, Michigan, Ohio, and Fort Wayne Indiana. I've been just about everywhere in Ontario, except the extreme northern part, and to Quebec.

20. madhoca

I flew straight to the Hebrides from...Gatwick, I think. I'd love to see the Highlands but I don't get much annual leave at the moment...another thing to add to my bucket list.

21. Wavanova

Wavanova Member

I haven't been to too many places, but let's see...

I've lived in Canada my whole life, in Northern Ontario and Southern Ontario (Toronto.) I've been to every Canadian province except Newfoundland, been in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Montreal, Quebec City.

I've been to the States a lot. Pretty much all of the northeast and some of the midwest. Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, Green Bay, Cleveland, Columbus, Minneapolis, etc. Also, Seattle for a day.

In Europe, I've been to various parts of England, Scotland, and Ireland. I've also been to France, Italy, and Malta. I'm hoping to go to Germany, Austria, and maybe Poland, The Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden this summer too.

I really want to go to Russia, Greece, Japan, and Hong Kong one day.