Your unfavorite commercial

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jun 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

An autopsy will take place today, but it's starting to sound like another cranial bleeding incident, the same thing that killed Natasha Rishardson a few months ago.He was in a rough plane landing Saturday, and was struck in the head by luggage from the overhead compartments. He laughed it off after he deplaned, but reportedly felt somewhat unwell when he went to bed that night. The next morning he was gone.

2. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I actually liked Billy Mays for the simple fact that he inspired one or two hilarious fight scenes on Youtube between himself and Vince the Shamwow/Slap Chop Guy. :(

3. Cogito

Supposedly he was a really nice guy. But his screaming was infuriating.

An update: Preliminary autopsy results on Billy Mays did not show signs of a subdural or epidural hematoma, so the bump on the head from the rough landing was probably not at fault. The doctor did find signs of hypertensive heart disease, often associated with sudden death heart attacks.

Again, these are preliminary results. The final report will take a while longer.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Ok, I have a new unfavorite commercial. It's a pediasure commercial, and the mom says "I've got a picky eater on my hands. When her diet started to mess with her nutrition, my doctor recommended pediasure."

Yeah, don't find ways to get your kids to eat things that they should be eating to keep healthy. Just buy them some liquid concoction and have them drink it instead...good plan.

5. Cogito

Sorry, I can't quite agree with that one. Especially if you have a sick kid who's off his feed, and you need to keep healthy nutrients down. I wouldn't turn it into a regular diet, but there are times you can be very glad to have it on hand.

6. hiddennovelist

Oh, I agree with you there. I expressed myself poorly...in the commercial, it wasn't like the kid was sick, it was just that she didn't want to eat healthy stuff, so it was basically the mom saying she gave her kid pediasure in the place of food her kid should have been eating. For sick kids, pediasure is great-my 19 year old sister got really sick recently, and that's actually what I ended up getting for her because she couldn't keep anything else down. However, I think it's stupid for them to market it as a replacement for a regular, healthy diet.

7. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

^ gotta agree with hiddennovelist here - as something to help a sick kid, it's great (and they used to advertise it that way) but now it's all "jimmy won't eat his vegetables, let's give him a milkshake instead" ads

8. Vapor

Vapor New Member

"I'm a Mac" commercials. Any drug commercial.

9. hiddennovelist

Do you mean drug commercial like prescription drug commercials or like anti drug commercials? Because your post reminded me how much I hate anti-drug commercials. I don't think that using scare tactics to convince people not to do drugs is any better than using peer pressure to convince them to do them.

10. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I don't mind anti-drug commercials too much.

I always really hated J.E.L. anti-smoking commercials, though. (Jel stands for Just Eliminate Lies.)
    I think it might be an Iowa thing only.
    But anyway, their commercials are irritating.

11. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Anti-* ad's are terrible. It doesn't matter what they want you to be against, drugs, smoking, driving fast, beating your kids... whatever. It's all crap.

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

It's all crap is right!

I love the anti-drug stories, particularly the contrived ones from DARE (thanks, DARE! Nobody does drugs now! :rolleyes: ). For instance, I heard this one all the time from age 10-14: "My friend was captain of the football team. But alcohol was one thing he couldnt bench press."

Really?! I find a shot glass to be pretty lightweight.

Those commercials are so pointless; the only people who listen to them are the people who wouldnt do smoke/drink/drive drunk/beat children in the first place.

13. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

I concur. In fact this propaganda has turned my soon to be brother in law against ALL smokers. Now if you don't want to smoke, fine, your choice. But when a 14yr old kid has been brainwashed to the point of going up to strangers in a public place and telling them that second hand smoke kills and they should put out their cigarettes... that's ridiculous.

14. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

I'm thinking of a number...

15. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Both. Actually I hate prescription drug commercials more because they are trying to obscure their agenda. Anti drug commercials are annoying but (usually) their purpose is plain. With prescription drug commercials they try and make it like they're all about people's well being and quality of life, when what they really mean is "give us your money".

16. hiddennovelist

I agree about prescription drug commercials. I have to admit, though, I love it when I'm watching a commercial about a pill to help with bladder control, and then at the end of it, they do the list of possible side effects, which may include bloating, rash, dizziness, diarrhea, or, in some rare cases, death. :eek: I'd rather have to pee a lot...

17. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

There are three I hate at the moment.

First, one that mercifully seems to have gone out of circulation is for Enterprise rental, featuring a mother complaining about the car her son has rented for her.

Second, a commercial for Bridgestone tires with Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead arguing as they drive down a mountain road. This appears to be the single favourite commercial of every sports network in the GTA, as it comes on every commercial break. I have so far resisted the urge to punch my tv when it appears for the fourth time in fifteen minutes.

Finally, one for KFC in which a joker orders a meal and then backs up, making a beeping noise like a truck. Fortunately a somewhat less annoying version of this commerical has replaced the original, but it is still awful.

In conclusion, making me hate you is not an effective means of selling me your product.

18. hiddennovelist

Truth. There are products that I will go out of my way not to buy because the commercials for it annoyed me so much.

19. Vapor

Vapor New Member

lol that's true. In the right mood they are good unintentional comedy. The only ones I can't find funny are the "male enhancement" commercials, they're too damn creepy. I don't know what could be going through the advertisers minds... "hmm drugs for impotence, lets make the commercials feel dirty and sexually suggestive".

20. hiddennovelist

Smiling Bob....eurgh.

21. sophie.

sophie. New Member

That advert is horrible. Also, it isn't sodding true - if you hit someone at 30mph, they're dead. It means that if you start braking at 30mph you have a quicker stopping time than if you start braking from 40 mph, so will hit your victim at a slower speed.

Another ad I hate - the 'Bruno' film one. Yes, because all Austrians obviously wear skintight lederhosen ...urgh

22. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I really hate the new clean and clear commercial. And the song it plays. Just because it's on so much.

23. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Alright, I've got one. It's not a commercial, but it is an advertisement, so it counts, right?

Do your local news anchors 'preview' the news with a question? For example, I just turned on NBC and heard the anchor say, "Could the colouring in your food be killing you? We'll tell you tonight at eleven."

It's like, what do you think the answer is going to be? "Welcome back to the 11PM news. The answer is no!" . . .
    And what I love is that they're going to tell me at 11PM, after I've had my colourful dinner. :p

24. hiddennovelist

I hate the little news previews. And the worst part is you know they're not going to tell you at eleven. They've got to update you on the celebrity goings-on and other ridiculous stories that don't mean anything to anyone first. Then, in the last five minutes, they'll tell you the answer.

I hate the air freshener commercials with the animals giving their testimonials for why they use it. "Movie night can get pretty crazy when we chameleons get together! Everyone wants to watch something different! That's why I use this air freshener..."

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah. Drives me crazy.

25. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

Has anyone else seen the racist Kool-Aid add?

It shows a black father and son fishing from a boat in a lake, then they look up and see the Kool-Aid man and a purple soda man running on a log. The Kool-Aid guy finally wins the log race and the commercial says drink Kool-Aid.

Leave it to glorified fruit punch to use stereotypes in advertising.