1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Your worst hospital story.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jaclyn, Dec 10, 2007.

I had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives, but by the time I got the appropriate medication to relieve the pain and itching it was way too late. So it's eleven o'clock at night and I'm desperately trying to fall asleep, but I can't because now my eye has become itchy. I get up to go to the bathroom and when I take a look in the mirror I notice my eye has swollen up horribly. The worst feeling ever was when I realized that right there at the moment I needed to wake my dad up and make him drive me to the hospital. So I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room for like two hours practically holding my breath because I'm so itchy all over. I make it in to the hospital room (finally) and I'm given stronger medication and end up spending the night there while my dad leaves to get some rest. The morning arrives and immediately I'm kicked out of the room I slept in for another patient, but now I look even more like the elephant man or the hunchback of notre dame because my entire forehead has swollen up. I'm sitting in the waiting room again, keeping my eye on the parking lot for when my dad comes by to pick me up and I seriously felt like the other people sitting nearby thought I was a monster, and that is my hospital story. Do you have one?

2. Sayso

Sayso New Member

Poor you Jaclyn. Allergies can be awful on a normal day. You have my sympathy hun. Hope it starts to improve soon.

My worst hospital incident was when my daughter was taken ill. It wasn't so much the hospital but the ride in the ambulance when the speed suddenly changed from a fast past to the full blue light situation half way there, because the paramedic was getting rather concerned. Never been so scared as I was then.

3. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

That sounds really crappy, Sayso :(

Was having abdominal pains one night, plus had a terrible flu that wasn't going away, so we decided to head up to the hospital. When we finally got called in, the doctor ignored my flu symptoms and just focussed on the abdominal pains which wasn't what we went up for. Instead of diagnosing me or suggesting treatment, he called the gynecologist, who proceeded to ask if I was pregnant and then accused me of lying about it when I told him no. He spent ages trying to convince me to take a urine test so that he could find out if I was lying. In the end we just left, it was ridiculous, I just wanted something for the flu and pain :rolleyes: My mum called the next day to complain about the service and spoke to the doctor who we initially saw. They just got into an argument and Mum ended up hanging up. He did, however, call back later and apologise.

ETA: I wasn't pregnant :p

4. Frost

Frost Active Member

When I broke my arm last I had such large doses of morphine and laughing gas I didn't get out of the stupor for a couple of days afterwards.

Tht's as bad as it gets for me though.

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I've had a few really bad experiences. One was the birth of my son and we both almost died and the staff weren't doing anything about it at all. I have not much memory of it as they just get drugging me up and if my mother wasn't there to jump up and down about my son being in serious distress then they'd of done nothing and who knows what would have happened really. Then after the birth they tried to give me a different baby. I never saw Mason until he was already an hour old and I was so out of it I barely remember it at all.

I had a doctor come in and make me sign forms to donate my baby for research and so many other things while I was trying to concentrate on delivering my baby and hoping that we would both live through it. He was already 2 months early so I was damn terrified already. But yeah getting told to sign forms to donate my dead child that isn't dead at all for research before it is even born for me is just the worst experience of all. I still remember exactly what he said and the look on his face.

He had me believing I was having a stillborn child and Mason was very much alive and still is. So if that ain't bad I don't know what is.......

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

When I was eight I had my tonsils removed, the doctor told me there was a 98 per cent chance of a full recovery within the following week after the surgery .. I was the lucky 2 per cent.

Basically, my throat refused to heal and eventually got infected and began to bleed every once in a while. One day, it bled continueously for two hours, so I was taken to hospital. When I got there they pumped me with a bunch of drugs and stuck three IV ports into my arms, I was so disorientated I didn't feel anything. The bleeding began to slow down and eventually it stopped for half an hour, I began to sober up and realised I felt very ill from the amount of blood I had swallowed during the bleeding, hence I began to throw it up. All the trauma from throwing up the blood I had swallowed caused the bleeding to start again. By this point I was boarder lining the need for a blood transfusion. Finally, at 12am the surgeon on duty was able to visit and rushed me into emergency surgery.

After the surgery I was fine. I had to stay in hospital for a while though. I had to take iron pills and drinks because I had lost so much blood and I was very tired and found it painful to speak, drink and eat.

It took me a month or so to fully recover.

Lol. I suppose it's a bit considering I was eight.

7. ILTBY

Mine seems very trivial compared to these :p

8. Torana

Damn Eoz that would of been a nightmare for you at such a young age.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Some of these sound nasty...

10. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I've had plenty of bad ones. I don't want to go into detail. I'll just say the worst was when I lost my baby.

11. Torana

Yeah that is never easy Baywriter. Sorry that you had to experience something like that.

12. Banzai

Wow... I really don't know what to say to that Baywriter. My sympathies...

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My deepest sympathies, Baywriter. No one should have to go through that, and yet it still takes place far too often. :(

14. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

You don't have to be sorry. It's all in the past. Time to move on. Well... I will when I finally get to move away from this town (too many bad memories here). I long for the day of my 18th birthday. Less than a year left.

15. Banzai

I know that feeling Baywriter. I can't wait til I get to university, and to freedom.

16. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

When I was about seven my parents were driving me to a class at our local science museum. We were driving around a bend on the highway and there was a car parked there that we could not see. We hit is on my side, and the car crumpled around me slightly. I was knocked out and did not know what was happening.

They brought me to the hospital, and it turns out that I had a minor concussion.

17. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz New Member

I don't really have any exceptionally bad hospital stories, despite significant experience in them, but I can think of one very awkward hospital visit.

I believe it was the summer of '98, and my family took a visit to California to see extended relatives, and have some fun at Disneyland. We'd gotten a multi-day pass and were looking to staying a while.

Our first day at the theme park started out normally. Mid-day is when things took a tumble. Due to excess water around the entrance, I had a trip getting onto a popular boat ride. It was then that I got a hairline fracture in my left leg right below my knee cap. I had no obvious physical indication till late that night though, when I went into apparent shock, still at the park.

By the time my parents and I got back to my family's house where we were staying, it was early morning and I was feeling better, also able to sleep, I did so.

The next morning, still concerned about my leg due to the previous day's events, we got directions to the closest good ER, and spent a significant number of hours there. My leg was soft-splinted straight, and thus disappeared our family's additional vacation plans.

The multiple-day pass to Disneyland was wasted, and I somehow had to keep my leg elevated through a long car trip home to Arizona. I was splinted for months thereafter as I entered my first year of high school.

18. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

On the night of Thanksgiving when I was fourteen, I started feeling sick. I was getting a fever, and my stomach really hurt. I finally went to the bathroom and made myself throw up, just to get the feeling to go away. Only, it seemed to get worse. By 3am, I had abdominal pain so bad that I couldn't stand upright.

I crawled up the stairs to my dad's room and knocked on his door. I told him that I was in pain, and he told me to take some aspirin and see how I felt in the morning.

Well, after getting no sleep, my dad finally agreed to take me to the hospital at 9:30 that morning. I said that I thought it was my appendix, though my dad thought that I'd just strained myself horseback riding. We got to the hospital, and I couldn't stand up to walk inside, so my dad carried me.

I don't know if you've ever been to a hospital right after a major holiday, but it was insane. A lot of kitchen-related accidents, I'm guessing. It was four hours before we even talked to a doctor, and that was only because my dad yelled at the receptionist. I was sobbing at this point.

We got in, and the doctor examined me and talked to me about my symptoms. He said it might be my appendix. We followed Dr. Obvious to the ultrasound room, where they took a look at my insides and said, yep, it was my appendix. They put me on an IV and made me change into one of those paper hospital gowns.

Finally, at 4:30pm, they got me on the operating table. I went under, and woke up after what seemed like only a few seconds, but what must have been hours. I immediately tried to get up and leave, but I was attached to machines and stuff. So I started pulling off tubes and wires (I was so doped up, I couldn't feel a thing, and I don't remember any of it; I was told later.), but the nurses ran over and held me down. I started panicking (I'm claustrophobic, I can't stand being held down). They had to bring my dad into the recovery room to calm me down.

I found out later that by the time they opened me up, my appendix had already begun to rupture. It was a very close call. But I got a cool scar.

19. ILTBY

Freshmaker, that's ridiculous, I can't believe they didn't think appendicitis was more serious. 4 hours is disgusting.

ETA: Baywriter, I'm also very sorry to hear about that.

I empathise with you in regards to wanting a fresh start.

20. Klee

Klee New Member

Apparently I had a asthma attack when I was a child, but since I can't remember that, here's another story.

My mom fell off a horse, so afterwards she tells me "Honey, I think something's wrong. Drive to your father's clinic."

So, we get there, she takes off her riding gloves and think "I might have broken something" and took off her wedding rings, half hour later her finger was swollen. Finally we get to see my dad and he says "Yep, it's broken," my mom had pulled her finger with the reigns.

Then says, "Ok honey, I need you to cough," the moment she does my dad pulls her finger to fix it. "It's not very serious so I'm gonna wrap it up and then you can go home."

My mom never got on that particular horse again (even though we owned the horse...)

21. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Not last summer but the summer before, I started getting stomach pains throughout the day. Eventually i got my sister to drive me to A & E, where I waited for i think 6hrs, basically all through the night. What annoyed me was I was in so much agony, by the last 4 hours or so. I just couldn't stand it. There were people laughing and joking who were getting seen before me, and this drunk who kept coming back bleeding as he had took of his bandage or something like that. Eventually got seen, gave me some crappy drugs, and eventually gave me morphine, which was a very strange experience, like some one spraying water on my brain. Eventually pain went away. Got ambulance to hospital in Edinburgh and had to wait a few hours to get seen there. I was ridiculous! I went in at about 6pm and didn't get a bed in a ward until 1pm the next day. Spend day sleeping and then spend the most horrible boring days in a ward filled with old grumpy women. I also was attached to a machine to get fluids and couldn't eat for 2 days, and eventually i started throwing up, due to starvation sickness, but they thought - because it was a problem with my stomach that i was there for- that i need a tube to be put into my stomach to get the fluid out. But eventually i convinced them that i felt fine and just needed food. So eventually got food, and just as i was having first food of 2/3 days the old lady next to me was getting a tube put down her neck and she kept choking, gaging and pleading with nurse that she couldn't do it... was a horrible experience :(

22. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

I have a lot of problems with my ears, The story I'm recalling is about my third operation I had with my right ear. They had to go around and cut through the back of it, and while they were working on my ear, I woke up during the operation.

I fell right back into the 'sleep,' so no harm done, but still. It hurt pretty bad, to say the least.

And every time, we'd have to schedule the operation at like 7AM-ish, and I always had some kind of reaction to the anesthesia, so I always stayed until around 4:30 or 5PM. Oh, it was awful. They wouldn't even consider giving me a different anesthesia, even though there are other combinations that would have worked..

I could go on forever.

23. Banzai

:eek: That sounds awful! I can't imagine waking up in an operation...

24. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Yeah, it was pretty bad..

The worst thing is that it didn't do anything worthwhile, none of the operations. I still get ear infections at least 5 times a year. I have one right now. :(

But hey, I'm used to it, I guess. :)

25. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I saw something on TV about this guy who had chronic problems with ear infections. One day he blew his nose really hard, and heard a loud POP! in his ear, and then he couldn't hear anything. After a lot of cajoling from his family, he went to the doctor, who made him get an MRI. Turns out the part of his skull that separated his brain from his ear canal had worn through, and part of his brain had slumped down into his ear canal. Pretty gross.