1. crimsonrose

crimsonrose Senior Member

Your writing "mode"

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by crimsonrose, Apr 8, 2009.

In order to feel that I am prepared to immerse myself into the world of my story, I've gotta have a big glass of something to drink, can't have snacks or I get distracted. I've got to be in my bedroom, and the light has to be fairly dimmed. My door also has to be closed, and I have to have some sort of my music playing very gently in the background, or every little noise I hear distracts me.

I write best at night, past midnight, when half the world is sleeping. Its very peaceful. I always have msn messenger open, and I always have firefox open. If I am in a writing mood but am not inspired, I read up on books about improving your writing, and then form better detailed outlines of my story, or chapter summaries, until I am in the "zone" enough to write.

What gets you into your writing mode?

2. Miswrite

Miswrite Member

Very loud music, usually classical :)
    And I have to feel comfortable - no fashionable outfits for me while I'm writing in private! Sweats are the way to go.
    But if I'm writing in public, like a park, I have to look like a model.

I make no sense.

3. crimsonrose

Ha, don't get me started. Just eating out at a fast food place, and I have to dress fancy as possible. Tis the other way I express myself. lol

Because of this, as soon as I get home, it's off with the uncomfies and into my pjs for me.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Often times to get in the mood I have to study a few pages of a novel.

Sometimes I like music, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I can't write if music is playing.

5. SilverRam

SilverRam Member

Writing on a comfortable place, like a sofa, with music and being all alone.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Some music in the background and just to work on it, I could either start writing more or read through and edit and old part. What ever I do, I always get into the 'zone' very quickly and get into it.

7. vanhunks

vanhunks Member

Music - classical music - usually sets the tone for me. Just love associating a story with a particular piece. Then I have to have hours of uncluttered, uninterrupted time to sit down and start writing. I pray passionately for inspiration right now :) or else. No, strike the latter bit, but it seems once I have the opening paragraph down, there's no stopping after that.

vanhunks

8. Lemex

Damn right! I always listern to Moonlight Sonata before writing.
    It just puts me in the mood for doing anything creative.

But once I start; it is anything I like: R.E.M., Nirvana, Foo Figthers, Snow Patrol, Tool - it's all good to me.

9. crimsonrose

Losing My Religion is a fave of mine. As is most things my Tool. Puscifer, Maynard's current third of fourth side project, is amazing.

Classical music... I lvoe it but I haven't tried writing to it yet. Silly me! That would certainly inspire me too. Pfft.

And for epic scenes, any version of Requium for a Dream is very inspirational. Makes ya feel epic-like :D

10. crimsonrose

Oui. Sometimes reading an online bit of Twilight does it for me. I don't like the series, but that's why. Meyer still managed to get it published, and worked very hard at it, and this I find it inspiring.

11. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

weird but depends, if its poetry i like music behind, blues or something in a saxophone but for stories i don't like any noise, of course i've learnt to cope around a household of kids...the headphones and blank stares help me

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I work best with the TV going in the background. Music grabs my thoughts too readily (yeah, I'm strange that way), and I cannot have anyone striking up a conversation with me.

Dead silence is also way too distracting. TV becomes white noise, as long as it isn't one of my favorite shows.

13. Lemex

YES! Yes! Oh god yes!

It's a pet-peve of mine, having someone talk to me when I'm writing.

I get very angry with them when they do. even when I'm interrupted for judgement, like my girlfriend asking me which I prefer Bones or Cold Case. my instant reaction - even without thinking - would be Bones, but the fact that I was disturbed infuriates me.

And about dead silence? You are the luckist man alive. I am never, no matter what I do, around total silence and I sometimes wish i was.

14. crimsonrose

Nah, that's not strange. With the music, I mean. I have to listen to music that I've had for more than a few months, with lyrics that have already been thoroughly analyzed. Otherwise, I find that my thoughts drift too easily towards the meaning of what I'm listening to. I can't do shallow music. It's gotta be deep meanings or nothing at all.

With the t.v., I'm not so talented as you, apparently. Haha. I have to have it off. It could be the bloody Disney chanel and I'm still sucked into it within moments. My mind wants me to procrastinate, I tell you.

15. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

lol yes at conversations, sadly my daughter stands there and stares until i answer, ...wrapped i am :(

16. keeklies

keeklies Member

I usually blast a white noise soundtrack like a waterfall or thunderstorm to cover up any household noises. I work in a dimly lit room and I sit cross legged on my chair. I have a mini fridge next to me and I will take out a can of diet pepsi every now and then - but it eventually gets warm because I get lost in what I'm writing and forget to drink it.

17. crimsonrose

Does she do the "daddy. daddy. daddy. daddy. daddy" thing until you reply?

18. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

nope , just stares with those big brown eyes.

19. crimsonrose

That.. sounds heavenly. I may have to try that a few times, though sans the mini fridge, because I do not own one.

My fiance does... Once I move in with him, I get to use it. W00t. And it's just steps from the bedroom where I write.

20. crimsonrose

No wonder you don't like it. What person can resist that?

21. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i like the idea of a thunderstorm or rain, probably stemming from my meteorological days when they used to tell me to go outside during a thunderstorm hold a metal hand-held wind-speed indicator while on top of a roof. i'm unsure of the logic of that, but i still liked the thunderstorms

22. Moira

Moira Member

I LOVE that song. It always makes me so emotional, in the mood to write something deep. Also Evanesence's first CD.

I'm strange, either I can write with the world coming down around me and not notice a bit, or I have to be locked inside of my room, no music, no sound, dim lights, no distractions. A lot of the time though I write with Avatar (the last airbender) playing in the background. For some reason Aang's voice makes me cheerful. Lol.

23. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I can write anywhere except home. Silence, music, conversation, whatever. Just let me glance over the bills that are due next week and I get all kinds of inspiration.

24. That Silly Welsh Guy

That Silly Welsh Guy Senior Member

For me - it's music to shut out my household, reasonably loud, nestled under my quilt in PJs and laptop on my my laptop and a Word Documnet open in front of me. But what is odd is that I have to have some from of online instant messaging application open so I can still talk to people about stuff/inspirations it's really weird.

25. crimsonrose

heh, I should have added that. I always have msn messenger on. Must look like I have no life... Prolly because I don't. :D I "need" it to discuss story ideas and exchange inspirational deviantart links with my writer friend.