1. Ink Lord

Ink Lord New Member

Which would You Rather Read?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Ink Lord, May 5, 2010.

I'm writing a very dark story right now and have not decided if I want it to be based in the "dream world" or in "reality". So here's a quick description of how both settings might go (and two additional options if these two do not sastify you):

Girl enters "dream land" (yes, that means she is dreaming) where she meets tons of friendly children who soon become her friends. But as night falls, a deadly ritual begins to play out before her as she is thrown into a game of betrayal, lies, and violence where the ultimate price of losing is death, and winning only means that you are safe until tomorrow night where the ritual starts all over again in hopes to suceed in becoming "immortal". And... yeah. I can't give you all of it because that would be no fun, now would it?

The second one is based in reality and follows almost the exact same plot at the "dream world" one. Just in this one her only hope to survival is the cops while in the dream world one her only escape is to wake up (which she has been "locked" inside of her dream making it nearly impossible to wake up).

Which would you rather read? Or would you just like a historical fiction with the Nazis replacing the "children"? Or maybe nothing at all because I suck at making plots? =)

You tell me! And yes, I'll buff it up some more and work on those plot holes!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't ask us which we'd rather read. Which would you rather write?

A story concept means nothing. Nada. Zilch. What makes the story is the writing. And the more passion you have for the story, the more that passion will reveal itself in your writing.

So decide which one you'd rather write, and sally forth!

3. NewBee

NewBee New Member

I like the dream one :)

I think everyone can relate to a nightmare they just want to wake from. I like that it's a battle of one's own mind, can't call for help.

4. Ink Lord

Ink Lord New Member

Well I think I'd rather write... eh, maybe the fantasy one, but I have quite a bit of passion for each... but I like your reply a lot because I feel like this is a very good... something. I don't know how to explain it. (No, I don't use that many "..."'s that often).

Thanks! =)

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

What confuses me about these types of threads is that the Poster seems to think that they have to choose 1 over the other.

Why not write both? Why can't you just put one aside for later and work on the other. If you get stuck or unsure how to continue on one you can switch to the other.

6. Ink Lord

Ink Lord New Member

*face palm* Great, now I look like a fool for not thinking of such brilliance. =)

Maybe I'll just write each and in the end, see which one I like best or which seems to flow more easily. :D

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Oh I am sure we all didn't realize this at some point. But there is also no reason why you couldn't try and get them both published. If you like one of them but doesn't turn out so great, you can always edit and make changes so that it does flow better.

8. sereda008

sereda008 Member

both, but differently.

How about you will write both of those as one story? I mean, that girl, whenever she falls asleep she gets into the dream world, where the ultimate price of losing is not death, but ethernal imprisonment in the hell of that world, which is a lot worse. When she wakes up, she will think that it was all a dream untill the next night when she bruises herself in the dream world she has the same injury in reality :p. At the start ofthe story she should go to some druid just for the fun of it, but angers him and he does this to him. At the end she gets him to cure her from her transportation to the dream world etc.

Pm me if you like the idea!