1. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

App for Inspiration

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by No-Name Slob, Jun 9, 2015.

It took me an exceptionally long time to figure out where to put this thread, since I have a tendency to follow rules too literally. If you would have put it somewhere else, help a newbie out and tell me where you think it would best fit.

What apps do you like for writers block, inspiration, or to keep the creativity flowing? I have an iPhone, but most apps are available on both, these days, so I don't think specification is necessary.

I have a few on my phone right now, but only ever seem to use one. It's called KU, and it's just a little social sharing app for poetry. It's nice because you only get 6 words per line, with three lines and a maximum character count, so it challenges me to say more with less, something I need help with from time to time.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

There are some issues for which there is no "app". The answer has to come from within. Always from within.

3. No-Name Slob

Totally agree. But in this case, I'm not talking about anything deeper than the continuity of creativity through practice -- even if it does differ from the more traditional method of pen and paper.

4. EdFromNY

Well, in the end it all comes down to sitting oneself down at the platform of choice - paper, manual typewriter, electric typewriter, word processor, desktop. laptop, iPad...whatever - and putting what's in your head down in preservable format. Inspiration and creativity aren't clip art. We each respond to our own individual drumbeat.

5. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

But sometimes an outside source can help give us ideas and creativity. Yes eventually, it comes from just sitting down and getting it all out, but sometimes some start-up from an outside source is greatly appreciated!

As for knowing any apps, I've no idea. I know there are some websites that will generate random writing prompts. Would that help?

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Not an app, but running. I have insane thoughts when I'm running. :brb: Endorphins are pretty awesome when you think about it. :superyesh: I don't let the craziness of the ideas or images or conversations throw me. They often just need to be translated over into something less crazy that makes sense to what's going in my WIP. The other day I had some strangely intimate (not sexual, but intimate all the same) :supercute:storyline run through my head about friends of mine as I was running. The idea, as it came to me, is intriguing in that the bones of it work within my WIP. The idea just needs a wardrobe and casting adjustment, so to speak. :superagree:

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. No-Name Slob

My ideas flow like this as I'm drifting off to sleep.

8. EdFromNY

Back when I ran, I used to have some great ideas while running. Unfortunately, running is no longer an option. But walking is, and for writing, I think, works even better.

9. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

Well, I don't know of any practice apps, but there are meditation apps and hypnotism apps that might put you into a creative mindset.

Also Mindroid comes to mind. I haven't tried it, but it's described as follows:
    "The aim of this app is to induce either relaxation, meditation, creativity or sleep state of your mind depending on the selected program."

It uses both audio and visual stimulation to mess with your brain waves to put you into that creative mindset (or relaxed mindset or whatever you want.) Again, I haven't tried it, but it sounds intriguing.

Pinterest is another site that a lot of people find visually inspiring, and you can get that as an app.

Simpson17866 and Nicoel like this.
  10. No-Name Slob

Interesting!

11. Kaelen

Kaelen New Member

I have done tons and tons of searching on my app store for apps that could help with inspiration. I have a few to suggest. I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for. I also have an Android phone so some of these apps may not be on iPhone.

First, the weheartit app is good for visual inspiration. I don't really like the website (for unrelated reasons) but the app is good when I need some visual stimulus. I will use the search and look for pictures related to my genre like "fantasy" or "apocalypse".

The RPG Character Generator by AC Arcana is good for when you need inspiration for characters. It's fantasy centered though which is the only downside. It's kind of like a character profile sheet.

The Google Earth app is another one I love. Sometimes, just exploring the planet will give me some inspiration.

The games produced by Choice of Games are text-based story telling games where you choose your characters actions. Playing through some of their stories has given me tons of inspiration. Their games are available on both Android and iPhone.

I recently found an app called Mindly. I've heard good things about it and it may help you.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope I helped!

12. No-Name Slob

You're a wealth of knowledge! Thank you. :)

Kaelen likes this.