1. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

Zadie Smith on Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Dunning Kruger, May 21, 2015.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

As is often the case with articles like these, it begins with a false premise, and, to me, a ridiculous one - that planning the overall structure in advance must inevitably mean that one starts randomly, chooses among competing endings and leaves all editing for the end. And that the converse of this is the person who, with no plan in mind, starts at the first sentence, ends at the final sentence and edits as (s)he goes. Pure, 100% Grade A Bullcookies.

As I have mentioned before, my own preference is to plan, a loose fitting structure that can be tweaked as new ideas occur in the writing. Indeed, I don't see how a historical novel can be successfully written any other way. And, having done so, as I look back on earlier attempts that were not planned out in advance, I conclude that planning would have yielded a better effort for a variety of reasons - alternating POVs, maintaining tension, providing an appropriate antagonistic force, avoiding sequencing errors, just to name a few.

3. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I don't get it. What wrong with changing the plot or characters while you write? If I think of a different, better way to write my ending, wouldn't that make a better book? If I decide a character doesn't help the book, so I cut him or her, doesn't that make the story less burdensome?

4. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Contributing Member

I liked the bit about waiting two years to read it back and edit it. Doubt most of us have that kind of time though.