1. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Zombie bassed Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by thenewpeter, Nov 24, 2010.

So I'm a pretty big fan of Zombies in general, always have been, and I was wondering if anyone knew any good books bassed around zombies that they'd recomend? I've already read "The Rising" "City Of The Dead" "The Living Dead" All of the Resident evil novelisations "Dead Sea" An am curently reading "Zombie Britania" all though that last isn't that great of a read.
    I prefer looking from the perspective of humans trying to survive an mindless undead world, but do look at other sides, such as what "The Rising" and "City Of The Dead" gives.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't know any zombie bassed novels, but I do know a set of sci-fi books with zombies featured. Titan, Wizard, and Demon by John Varley. A trilogy. You have to get to the last book to get to the zombies. There is some head hoping which includes the actual zombies as POV.

3. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Well, there's always the Zombie Survival Guide and its follow-up, World War Z. The latter has become my go-to book for how to do a zombie book well.

Certain books in the "Dresden Files" series feature zombies prominently. But then, it's urban fantasy, so you get all kinds of awesome stuff in the storylines. Werewolves, toad demons, chaos curses (at one point the curse lashes out, and a moment later a frozen turkey that had fallen out of an airplane strikes the ground where a character is standing), mind control, zombies, fairy armies, lots and lots of vampires, fallen angels . . .

Then there's I Am Legend, which has an interesting take on the zombie genre.

And the "Song of Ice and Fire" series has wights, which are seriously creepy. They're basically zombies, if "person who died and has come back to kill you and is now much harder to kill" counts. The first book in that series is A Game of Thrones.

4. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

The New Dead was a wonderful zombie anthology, and I highly recommend it. It's something like 20 different short stories about zombies by 20 different authors. Each one is a little different, so you get a ton of different kinds of zombies, views of zombies, and points of view concerning zombies.

5. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

I have 'Patient Zero' by Jonathan Maberry sitting in the middle of a small column of books by my bed. I read 30 pages of it, just to see if it would grab my interest and it does indeed, but im in the middle of 'Darkness take my hand' by D.Lehane at the moment so it'll have to wait. But if you like zombies, action, thrills and good writing that keeps you hooked, i suggest you have a looksee :D. I know it's not a bookk but are you watching the TV series 'Walking dead'? don't know about anyone else but I'm addicted at the moment, can't wait for the next episode, haha.

6. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Yes I am watching "The Walking Dead" ^^ I was going to begin buying the graphic novel series, but then heard about it being made into a series and thought I'd wait. Loving it so far. I'm also waiting for the next series of "Highschool Of The Dead" If you don't know it, it's an anime, fills all of the zombie loving points so far, but my god who ever thought of half of the shots for it is really perverted. XD.
    Thanks for everyones sugestions, I'll be looking into everyone. Anyone else who has any input, please feel free to coment. ^^

7. Newfable

Newfable New Member

I just finished Fated by S.G. Browne, which isn't a zombie novel. However, his first book, Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, was. He calls it a "rom-zom-com", as it's a romantic zombie comedy.

From the writing style of his second book, I'm definitely going to pick up his first.

8. DisFanJen

DisFanJen New Member

There's always Pride predujice & Zombies. :)

As to the Walking Dead series. It's good but the Comic is better. Darker in my opinion.

9. Walrusdragon

Walrusdragon New Member

"The Morningstar Strain" and "Day by Day Armageddon" are pretty good.

10. Celia.

Celia. New Member

The Walking Dead

11. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
    It's in the future after almost everyone is dead from the zombies, and the last survivors are living in basically a zombie-shelter that was built and caged off before zombies killed most of the people. After Z-Day, a religious cult took over the MC's compound and they act like the government.

12. The Tall Man

The Tall Man New Member

The As The World Dies trilogy by Rhiannon Frater is my absolute favorite in zombie fiction. Also, check out Permuted Press. They have a lot of good zombie books.

13. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

I think Zombies in general are incredibly over-exposed at the moment, I enjoyed "Monster Island" and will probably read the sequels once my brother is done with them.

14. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I can see your point and agree, but the same can be said regarding vampires really. I've always loved zombies, something about them grabs my intrest more then it does in any other 'creature'.
    But meh, each to there own.

15. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Oh I like Zombies too; I think they have a lot of potential to represent a multitude of different themes, but at the same time be the great subject of a straight-up pulpy horror/action/sci-fi/fantasy/psychological/whatever.

However, I'm just burnt out on them. I just kind of don't care about zombies right now because they're everywhere and I don't see many people taking advantage of that story telling potential.

16. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

"Warm Bodies" was pretty good. But I'm kinda tired of the whole zombie/vampire/werewolf trend - even though I am still reading these genres!

The protagonist of Warm Bodies is a zombie called "R" (he can't remember his full name) and he lives in an airport with a group of zombies. Their existence is very minimalist - they shuffle about and engage in some activities, but don't do a lot of anything - except when they go hunting. The only time they can feel emotion or in fact, anything, is when they eat someone's brains. R joins the hunting party one day and after snacking on some poor boy's brain, kidnaps a girl and brings her back to his "home" - an old, dead aeroplane. Only, he doesn't eat her, and the boy's memories seem to be having a lasting effect on him...
    It maybe sounds a bit lame and quite oddball, but it felt quite fresh and original. Definitely worth a read!