1. penhobby

penhobby New Member

To Splenda or not to Splenda

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by penhobby, Aug 4, 2008.

I stumbled across this today, and as a heavy Splenda user was horrified. What do you guys think? Everything in moderation? Or none at all. I think I'm staying away from the stuff, but that's just me.

http://campaign-archive.com/?u=d30382adb640006c91396465c&id=WDd96DrWca

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yikes! I have always treated sugar-subs like a dog I am not familiar with. Might look cute, might bite my hand off. Who knows.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I avoid sugar substitutes anyway. Unnatural chemicals don't exist in nature for a reason. Anyone remember Thalidomide?

4. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Wrey, you big kid. I love Ange from avatar. I have watched every episode. Okay I was forced to watch the first few with the kids, but then I was hooked. Oh wait, that means I'm a big kid too.

Yikes is right, no Splenda for me.

5. lessa

lessa New Member

I use splenda.
    I am diabetic and splenda does not alter my sugar level.
    that is a plus.
    Don has a sweet tooth and the splenda covers that for him.
    Sure it may not be totally healthy. BUT name one thing that is.
    I do not like sweets much at all but in coffee I need one sugar (splenda)
    It does not give that sickening sweet taste to drinks that equal seems to.
    If we cut out everything that one study or another tells us is bad, what would we live on?
    Meat is bad, fish is bad, sugar is bad, coffee is bad, water is bad, milk is bad, the sun is bad.
    When the powers that be have ruled that everything is bad and must be gotten rid of maybe they will be happy.

remember the song "in the year 25 25"
    it makes a lot of sense.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I doubt it. Having something to harp on about is what makes those people happy.

And I'll say fair enough for your case. Whatever splenda does, it can't be worse than being deprived of coffee.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I prefer apartame (Equal). I find the taste of Splenda unpleasant.

As for the article in the first post, it's very slanted against anything that isn't "natural"

Hemlock is natural, and lethal in small quantities. A number of medicines are completely artificial and save lives.

There are plenty of scare stories out there about artificial sweeteners. It's true that saccharine has been found to be mildly carcinogenic, but far less so than many other things, including natural sunlight. There are deliberately circulated urban legends about aspartame and Splenda; but apart from the fact that certain people do have a sensitivity to aspartame, the stories are purely scary tales suitable for campfire fun.

8. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Didn't think of that. My Mom has had Diabetes for 34 years, in fact she is the one that got me hooked on Splenda. I guess I should call her and see what she thinks of all this. Oh she's going to love that.

Banzai -- Splenda or coffee hmm, yeah it's not even close. Coffee all the way.

9. penhobby

penhobby New Member

In fairness, my husband just responded back by pointing this out to me.

Eww why does he have to be so sarcastic? :mad:

10. gigantes

gigantes Banned

well, taking a look through that article, nowhere is splenda actually damned.

for example, they talk about adding a chlorine to the sucralose molecule, but where is the evidence that this is harmful or that the human body can't handle bound chlorine atoms in moderation? the body gets far more chlorine per dose of table salt, after wll.

if you're worried about splenda, take a look at the WP entry. it summarises data from the studies so far, the worst of which say things like 'eating 10,000 packets of splenda a day is shown to produce one specific mild health reaction.' oh dear!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda#Safety

it would be nice if article-writers used actual evidence to make their conclusions instead of their personal fears and biases.

11. Chef Dave

Chef Dave New Member

I have largely avoided the lounge because I've seen too many disagreements escalate into flaming at other sites. This post caught my attention because I'm a culinary arts teacher and trained chef.

Is Splenda harmful?

The Food and Drug Administration which is responsible for monitoring the quality of food and food additives like Splenda has reported that 11 to 27% percent of sucralose is absorbed by our tissues. The rest is excreted.

Medical research regarding the absorption of splenda in the tissues of mice and rats has been inconclusive.

It should be noted that since Splenda is also 600 times sweeter than sugar it is used in much small amounts than sucrose.

As with any other food product, it is good to avoid excessive use. Vary use of sparkling fruit flavored water products sweetened with splenda with fruit juice, water, or fruit infused water (without splenda.)

12. lessa

lessa New Member

With the tests done on mice for any food type thing.
    I look at it this way.
    A mouse weighs 2oz. well I am quite a bit more than that.
    So I feel safe using the bit I do.
    It would take quite a bit to do to me what it would to a mouse.
    I have bad reactions (well strange) reactions to most things and
    splenda is one that I do not get a reaction to.
    I have had more people say aspertame gives them headaches and stomach problems
    than I have ever heard from splenda.
    I cannot drink any diet drinks at all. The aspertame gives me such pain that I am out
    of commission for at least a day.
    I think you have to look at this with an open mind.
    Do all things in moderation.
    They now say beer and wine are good for you.
    My grandmother told me beer is good for you 31 years ago when I was pregnant.
    My dr. also prescribed porter for me when I was 15.
    I wonder what the next generation of drs and scientist will pick on.
    When they come up with a cure for Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia I just may start
    taking them seriously.
    Until then I will eat what I like and still toss out the brussel sprouts.

13. gigantes

gigantes Banned

bravo, chef dave.

aw... send them to me, lessa! :)

14. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I just can't stand the taste of the stuff. Nothing but sugar. I guess I'm fortunate I'm not diabetic because I can taste the difference a mile away. If others want to use Splenda, fine, but I take issue with their commercials when they say, "Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar!" Um...no. No, it doesn't.

Blech.

15. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners. Sweet N Low and Equal give me horrible migraines. When Splenda first came out, I gave it a shot because of their tag line "Made from sugar" BS. Instant migraine!!!!! Sugar-free anything tastes horrible and leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth.

I ordered a Raspberry Iced Tea from Sonic the other day and after one sip, I could tell it was made with something artificial. The manager wouldn't let me see the bottle for their flavor additive though. I won't be ordering anything from Sonic that contains an additive flavor since they won't let me read the label first.

16. Raven

Raven Banned

If it has to be made from chemicals then we don't need it and thus I have no interest in substitutes. You either like Sugar or you don't if you don't then substitutes are irrelevant.

17. gigantes

gigantes Banned

i use splenda myself every day in green tea and i can't use very much without getting an unpalatable, bitter type of taste, but then i don't need to since i'm not a sugar freak. i think if you look at splenda that way then you'll find it's perfectly useful and safe.

of course, everything is made from chemicals.

18. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Has anybody else received free samples of Splenda in the mail, or is that just me? That aside, I really would prefer sugar of Splenda any day. What's a little sugar (to a non-diabetic)?

19. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Splenda tastes like what I imagine sweetened asbestos would.

20. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I like Splenda better in my coffee. It disolves better.

21. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Personally I can't stand the taste of sugar substitutes, so I never use splenda. However, I don't think that just because it isn't natural that its atomatically unhealthy.

22. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

All I have to say is that they go about telling us everything we eat and do is bad for our health. If we listened to everything that they say, we would literally die from stravation. Everything we eat causes cancer now, or some other illness. I don't use Splenda and have no intentions of using it. But seriously, they tell us that food we eat every day causes cancer, fish at the top of the food chain is bad for us, this is bad, that is bad... What are we meant to eat?
    I mean heck, even the air we breathe now is bad for us. So we are screwed either way you look at it. If you like the stuff, enjoy it. If you don't, don't use it. Simple as that.

We all have to die of something you know. May as well enjoy the time we have.

23. gigantes

gigantes Banned

that begs the question- has anyone ever died of writing?

24. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

If blood is your ink, then yes.

25. gigantes

gigantes Banned

what if ink is your ink?