Tags:
  1. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz New Member

Music in fiction.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by RockyMtn.Wheelz, Nov 17, 2007.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a character of mine to sing. I want to use music as an element of setting, but can't figure how to do it effectively, except simply to explain the character is singing a specific tune.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

It would help to know if this is a created setting or based off of a real-world place.

However, I would say to focus on the significance of the genre. For example, if the character is in a small rural setting, you may want to use folk songs. To enhance the feel, describe the instruments used in creating the sounds. In addition, you can show said folk genre contrasting with the world around (such as bars with heavy metal bands - the character having to search diligently for a venue) to give a strong message of the character and the setting as well.

3. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz New Member

I'm writing a suburban contemporary neighborhood. The particular scene is taking place during a holiday, and I'd like to include familiar music playing on a radio to set a tempo and setting for the scene.

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

What's the theme of the story? What genre of music do you want? Is it around a dinner table, or just an occurrence in another random setting?

If it's well-known by the characters of your story, I think you should have the singer declare that they love this song and wants to sing it. Though it's hard to give help without knowing the situation.

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

I'm not to clear on the question here. Are you asking how to describe the sound of the singers voice? If so, describe all the (relevant) things that make music, music. Pitch, timbre, dynamics, melody - all of that. You might want to tell us what key the singer is in, but that might be getting a little tedious.

However, if you're asking about actual setting the scene with music as an integral part, then you might want to consider a few things. First, the physical setting - where is said person singing? How many people are watching him? What genre of music is he singing? IF your trying to use the music as a setting, you'll want to use what I suggested above anyway.

If it's neither of these, then please clarify :p

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

I was wondering if anyone else thinks of songs that would go good w/ a certain scene in their story?

it may be because i haven't quite committed my story to being a book, movie, vidgame, ect yet, but i like having songs in mind that augment/exemplify the emotional qualia of the scene, even if im not intending for them to ever be paired in publication, if that makes sense. if nothing else, it helps me remember/relate to the feeling of the scene.

as well as in real life, some songs match some situations so perfectly.

anyone else?

7. bahloo

bahloo New Member

Yeah I get what you're sayin'. I always like to at least be listening to music while I'm writing, and sometimes I find it makes or breaks a scene. If I'm writing a scene about some people in a meadow by a creek having a picnic, maybe some acoustic/folk music would fit nicely. If I'm trying to think of a battle scene, I might put on some Gangster rap, or heavier music to get my head in a place where ideas about the scene's in question might flow a little easier.

8. Anonym

Anonym New Member

ah, very good point. forgot that end of the spectrum :)

9. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

You could record yourself speaking it aloud then put in the song as background music.

Or you can blast the music so loud that a zombie's skin would fly off.

Either way something is bound to happen.

10. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I was just wondering what the rules are for using singers/songs in fiction?

For example:

He could give Bon Jovi a run for their money as Peter sang Always whilst playing the guitar.

11. wallomrslug

wallomrslug New Member

The main danger with that is referring to current popular culture will date your work.
    The singers you refer to won't always be popular or well know and it can seem a bit awkward.

12. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I never thought of that before! thanks for pointing it out :)

13. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Would using something classic work? Making a refference to Luis Armstrong for instance?

14. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I heard that getting permission from an author of a song is very expensive, but I'm not sure if you can use them for your stories, the unpopulated ones.

15. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Hmm, not really sure, I hadn't given classic a thought. The above was just a mere example, I won't be using it in that context.

So you would need their permission then? I'm asking on the basis of the story getting published.

EDIT: What about using a song title without reference to the singer?

16. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

Bah! Never, never treat your readers like fools. Always assume they know what you're talking about with references. It's no different from using uncommon words in your writing. Don't insult them.

17. wallomrslug

wallomrslug New Member

It isn't an insult to a reader, it's quite understandable that they wouldn't necessarily know a famous name. I live in the UK and if I read a novel by a US author and it contained references to celebrities in America, I most likely wouldn't know who they were. that's not to say that I wouldn't get the reference...even if I didn't know Bon Jovi to use the OP's example, I would still probably 'get' that it was a music reference.
    but that wasn't my point. I didn't mean that the reader wouldn't understand the meaning, just that they may not know the name. And it doesn't alter the fact that it can put a date onto the work.

18. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

Ok, I understand. But the fact that it dates the project or a handful of readers won't recognize the reference shouldn't stop the use of the reference. Write what you're compelled to write.

19. wallomrslug

wallomrslug New Member

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wasn't meaning to put the OP off of the idea, just pointing out some things s/he might like to consider.

20. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I just heard that it is expensive to sing it out in your finished work, but I'm not sure 100 percent if you can really use the song without permissioin. So don't trust me on this one. And I never used a song title, but I'm guessing that you can use song titles without copyright infringement.

21. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

Thanks, I'll definitely keep it in mind :)

I wouldn't use the lyrics, or if I did it would be with reference and only a line or two max. I think I might just keep the song title in mind then with no lyrics or singer/band name or just make a couple up.

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

This. I've read books where references to pop culture or popular artists of the day age the book because they're not popular anymore.

23. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

You can reference singers and songs without paying royalties. Just like celeb magazines can reference celebrities and their work. That's totally okay. I'd say it seems fine - sometimes it's nice to have a date on the work, you sort of get into the times. Like a book published 10 years ago would seem quite nostalgic.

Originally when I saw the title of this post - I though maybe you meant puting up a song in the footnotes, for with the scenes, so when people were reading along, they could turn to the right song and get a vibe for the novel.

That sounds like an awesome idea - but very impractical and a bit useless. But could be fun. Anyways that's totally off topic.

24. wallomrslug

wallomrslug New Member

There is an existing thread on that somewhere. Can't say the idea appeals to me

25. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I'm not very good at titles :p

I suppose if I made someone up or a couple of lyrics, people won't necessarily know if they were real or fictional in years to come maybe.