1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.

Full length short story?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Hwaigon, Oct 3, 2017.

Is it possible/admissible to post a full length short story on the forums? So far (though I haven't been around
    much), I've seen/read just first chapters or extracts, authors asking for comments as they work on their stories.

I have some projects going, of which I'd like to see some finished and posted here in full length and have others
    read the final product.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've posted a couple of full-length short stories here. They were finished (sort of), so I didn't really care about preserving copyright or anything like that - I had no intention of publishing them.

You should be aware, though, that the longer the piece you post here, the fewer critiques you're likely to get. Most people don't want to critique something longer than about 1,000 words - it's a lot of work. Mine were over 4,000 words each, so I was very grateful for any attention they got at all.

:)

Hwaigon likes this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

You can, sure, but be aware that the longer the story, the less likely people are to read it (unless it's really appealing to them, I mean). I feel like around 2000w is most people's approximate limit - there was a thread about it a while back I think - so if you're doing like a 4-5k short you might not get the results you'd prefer, unfortunately.

4. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Thank you for answers.
    Yes, I am aware that the longer the story the less probable it is that I'll get copious critiques. Or any critiques, for that matter. However, much as it may sound complacent, if I ever want to see my
    stories finished, I want them to be really damn well written, so as to appeal to the reader. These 1000 - 2000 words seem to me half measures; some
    of my projects will surely span much more than that without me wanting them to be long per se.
    Also, some of the stories I've read way off writingforums were way longer than 2000 words, actually, one took me half a day to finish but heck, was it worth it.

5. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

What I did was post the first 1,000 words in the critique section and then in the collaboration forum I asked for beta readers. In return for them beta reading my story, I offered to do theirs. I've gotten an excellent response from fellow forumers, and their insight and feedback has be invaluable to me.

Don't post the entire story here on the forums if you're planning to publish it traditionally or through Kindle Unlimited (KU only allows about 10% of the work to be published elsewhere). See this thread for more info:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/does-posting-work-here-harm-our-chances-of-being-published.23612/

6. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a good idea - about the 1000 words.