1. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

1800s fiction..apart from 'Extraordinary League of Gentlemen',are there any other mashups?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TheWingedFox, Aug 8, 2020.

I think the 1800s were probably the Golden Age of literature...women and men both writing....science making its demonic presence felt....people actually reading, and being able to.

The graphic novel 'The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen' hinted at what was possible. But I prefer a literary presentation.

Anyone know of any?

I know there are sequels and prequels....Jane Eyre is possibly the most successful.

Sadly, the literary qualities have been overtaken by Hollywood's despicable versions, which slash the original material like a Jack the Ripper villain.

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Anything by Jules Verne and perhaps HG Wells. It sort of depends what you mean by a "mashup".

3. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

I mean a kind of sequel by a modern author using some or all the characters from the most loved novels.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

There are quite a few recent 'spin-offs' to Pride and Prejudice. Some are sequels, and some are books using minor characters as the main ones, etc. Is that what you mean?

There was one, recently, that was a 'sequel' to RLS's Treasure Island. It got great write-ups, and the author did mimic Stevenson's style quite well. But the story was really poor, with an awful lot of happenstance, deus ex machina (really bad!) and tangential musings by the main character when he should actually have been DOING something. I can't remember the name of the book, offhand, but it was very very disappointing, for me anyway.

Holy moly. I just put 'Treasure Island sequel' into the Amazon search ...and there are squillions of spinoffs.

I suggest you take ANY Victorian book, and search for its sequel on Amazon. Startling.

Edited: The book I was referring to was Return to Treasure Island, by Andrew Motion, published in 2013, in London.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

You're correct about the Motion book. It dawdled, imho. A great opportunity missed.

I'm planning a novel featuring ALL the greats of the 19th century...it's mostly for fun and my own pleasure, and maybe others.

I mean, who wouldn't want to read a novel featuring Jim Hawkins, Ben Gunn, the invisible man, Dr Jekyll, the Artful Dodger, Sherlock Holmes, Alice, Prince Myshkin, Captain Ahab, Long John Silver, Jane Eyre, Marie Stahlbaum, Topsy, Dr Moreau, Captain Nemo, Phileas Fogg, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Jim, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Passepartout, Scrooge and the time machine all present...?

6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

There was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which included Dracula, The Wolfman and the Mummy. At least peripherally what you're talking about I guess.

8. TheWingedFox

TheWingedFox Banned

I was looking for literary versions. I find that a novel can have far more depth than other media, and it would make sense to hear Jim's voice again, and be delightful to hear him describe classic characters like Jane Eyre, Sherlock Holmes, etc.