1. Ryan Hoobin

Ryan Hoobin New Member

1983- Robo Hitler and 1980s Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Hoobin, Dec 22, 2018.

Hi! My name is Ryan, and I'm 16 and an aspiring writer! I have two stories that I want to flesh out at the moment, but I've put one on the backburner. For now, I'm focusing on a Sci-Fi story that features a world post-Nazi won WWII, in 1983, with a group of freedom fighters led by a Walkman wearing, cigarette smoking Cliche "greaser" tough guy on a mission to kill Adolf Hitler and save the world. For the most part, I just need help with character development and motives and names. Especially, I need a name for the group themselves. It's comprised of pockets of British, Canadian, French, and American people. Dark humor is perfect, and I'm trying to figure out a name for them that makes fun of the Nazis in some way. If anyone would like to help, it'd be greatly appreciated! Either reply or email me at [email redacted]! Thank you SO much!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

This is why I suggested you take a look around and join in some conversations first. I noticed you posted this in a bunch of places all at once. These sections are more for asking specific questions and getting advice. People answer, and the conversation continues. Is there anything about your characters you'd like help with? If so, this is the place. Plot questions go under "Plot Development", general writing questions under "General Writing". You get the idea. You really should look around. Read people's posts and join in. Voice some opinions. Give some advice. Participate first and more people will want to chime in when it's your turn. When it is, ask specific questions. I don't know how many people are going to want to email you directly. Probably not many, especially if they haven't gotten to know you on the forum first, and even then, they would probably prefer to private message you the same way I did.

Cave Troll and jannert like this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Well, Sony was founded in the 1940's as a result of/response to the American Occupation of Japan post WWII. Given that the opportunity for many Japanese electronics and teletech companies wouldn't have arisen if the Allies had lost the war, it might not be a bad idea to rebrand some of the tech. Plus, as someone that had an 80's era Walkman, those things took 4 AA batteries and generously lasted maybe 2 hours on a full charge. Just for practicalities sake, you might want to try and re-invent that wheel.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. poy

poy Member

I think Goose Hunters would work well. It's suitably vague enough to say in public without calling attention to themselves and references the Nazi's well known love for goose stepping. Anyway, what's the personal motivation of the Greaser? Making one of the characters, especially the main character, German and having their own reasons for hating the Nazis, like one of their disabled family members being killed or some such thing like that, would spice things up. You could research daily life in Nazi Germany to get some inspiration for how society runs. Of course certain things would be modernized, so in some ways it would be closer to modern China or Russia.

5. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

What sort of name are you looking for? Do you think they would have given themselves a political movement name or something more menacing and militaristic? There's a lot of fun in a number of directions.

6. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I don't think Nazi-ism would have lasted even if the Germans had won. Hitler would have been dead. He was in his 50's and was a serious speed freak on his doctors orders. The whole thing was just too intense to last. If you're going to write about the 80's I would watch words like "Greaser." It was that era's equivalent of N***** (in the US) to Hispanics at the time. Something to think about.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Cave Troll likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Over here - UK - 'greaser' is a fine period word associated with Teddy Boys, Elvis & Rock n Roll/Rockers.
    @exweedfarmer - your literalism takes no account of Adolf's twin monkey heart surgery in 1951? You recall the Fuhrer's speech to the League of Nations? 'My beating hearts' - where he takes both of his hearts in his hands and pleads for military assistance in his 'holy quest' to annihilate the degenerate States of America? Great times. I suppose things might have been different if your remnant of a nation had involved in any shape or form in WW2.

Churchill did the right thing during that fireside chat with Hess - 'it cleared his mind.' Certainly my service in the purity league has been 'inspirational' to coin an American phrase, sorry.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Certainly boys of the Condor fraternity might hear of your greasy mans and his music toy. I think the suicide dagger through the eye shall be explained to his mother and we may continue patrols without hindrance along our great 3rd Reich Avenue.

Sleep Vell

My God it's happened again, woken as a Nazi, helf mich.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  9. Ryan Hoobin

Ryan Hoobin New Member

Good advice all round, thanks guys!