1. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Do you read outdoors or indoors?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by edamame, Aug 5, 2015.

So, I was curious whether you guys prefer to read indoors or outdoors or both? I can't read outdoors for any length of time because being outdoors makes me want to be active. I don't really like lounging on the beach or on the grass too long either. I may have also gotten accustomed to reading in the library or at home as a child -- thus the indoor preference.

Anyway, let me know! ;)

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Indoors, but only because I live above a shop and don't have any exterior grounds of my own. When on holiday, especially at a nice remote cottage, I like nothing more than to read in the garden with a nice mug of coffee.

I never read in public because I live in a part of the world where such a thing would only be ridiculed and looked upon as slightly odd.

Sad, really.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Both.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I read everywhere. I'm never without my Kindle and on the odd times I forget it, I have the Kindle app on my phone that syncs to whatever last page I was reading on the Kindle.

The Big Deep and Steerpike like this.
  5. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

What on earth has happened to England? You can't be serious. And even if you are, I wouldn't let that stop me from reading in public. But I really can't believe they've stopped reading in the tube... or any other means of public transport, or airport halls, etc. etc. etc.

I read anywhere and pretty much everywhere.

The Big Deep likes this.
  6. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

Inside, outside, anywhere, anytime. Hey @OurJud, I originally hail from your area and oddly I don't ever recall reading outside. How weird is that!

OurJud and The Big Deep like this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

In the capital, maybe, and in the heart of Manchester to a certain degree, but it's a fairly rare sight to see someone reading a book in public, in my part of the world.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I can't speak for the tube, but on my daily rail commute into Birmingham I frequently encounter somebody reading a book, more frequently a Kindle.

I don't read on the train myself...I find I get too engrossed, and likely to miss my stop!

9. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

One of my favourite places to read is in the bath! My girlfriend thinks I’m mad, but I can spend a good couple of hours in the bath with a good book.

I also like reading outdoors. One of my favourite things about holidays is that I know I’ll have the time to sit and read a book or two in the week; a luxury which I don’t tend to get at home.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Indoors. If I attempted to read outside, very mosquito and fly outside buzz and zip all around me like I'm the giant pork roast of Thanksgiving.

“We give thanks to our Great Mosquito God for this bountiful food in which we will now dine.”

11. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

methinks Jud it's time for somebody to set a new super-cool trend in your part of the world :bigcool: plus with the right book you'll be so engrossed that you won't even notice any looks :read: Live dangerously!!!

12. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

The vast majority of the time I read six or seven on the go with a few rums or whatever I'm drinking that month, I also take a book when I go hiking and sit in the woods or on the hills around here. I also enjoy sitting in my favourite library chair and hauling the ones I've gathered from the shelves there and piling them on my knee to see whether I'll take them back with me.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've read everywhere, so both.

14. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Indoors and it will probably remain that way. The outside is either too cold or too hot or too rainy or snowy. And it's full of bugs, like mosquitoes and flies and ladybugs and many other of god's pestilences.

15. MoonDreamer

MoonDreamer New Member

Oh! I like reading in the bathroom too! But my brother and sister usually gets angry with me because I can stay there for more than an hour and sometimes they want to use the bathroom hahahaha!
    I usually read indoors but I'd like to read outdoors if I had the chance (right now I can't because there aren't any places where I can do that near my house).

16. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Does it count as reading if it is an audiobook? I have actual paper/hardcover books too. But I didn't have the money to keep buying them or the kindle (though I would love a kindle). So, I usually listen to them. Thus I can "read" in the car, the shower, while grocery shopping....you know all of those things that we have to do, but seriously cut into our reading time.

17. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

Growing up a country boy I spent many an hour sitting under a tree that hung out over a bayou. There I did homework and read. I remember sitting on a dock fishing and reading and actually being aggravated when I got a bite cause I hadda put my book down to grab the pole. When camping I am always with my nook sitting at a pic nic table or on a park bench. I am old and honery enough not to care if I dont look cool anymore.

18. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

This is a sketch of a young me sitting on the tree mentioned. It's funny though I thought it was a sketch of young me reading but instead it shows me playing a harmonica another out door passion.

[​IMG]

19. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

Interesting question, edamame! I prefer to read outdoors or when I'm travelling to pass the time. I rarely if ever read indoors because I'm always on the computer.

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I read both inside and out. Though when it is windy as hell, I prefer the kindle over a paperback when outside. :p

21. Kieran

Kieran New Member

I live in the city/town and only about one kilometre from the very central of it, so definitely indoors. If I lived at least on a quiet suburban street and in a house instead of a flat, I might find myself reading on my rear yard. I need relative privacy and quietness to get into a book's world.

22. haider

haider Member

indoor mostly , because I am to lazy to go outside .