1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Character Growth

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marcelo, Jul 21, 2008.

What exactly is character growth and how important is it? I know it is important, but how so? Why is it so appealing? Post your opinions. :)

2. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Character growth is when the character changes, physically or mentally, for better or worse. It's important to a story because in real life, most of us change in response to events that happen to us. Characters in stories are usually put through more challenges than real people, so it makes sense that they should change at least a little.

Character growth helps the readers get more in tune with the character, and helps make them a little more real.

-Kratos

3. Saphael

Saphael New Member

Hmmm...Well, it's always interesting to gradually see more and more into the characters mind as the story progresses, and also to see how the character changes to a situation. I personally enjoy character growth in a story since it is somewhat of a psychological experiment on the character. It also works best when the character can be somewhat sympathized with at the beginning...

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Character growth is the way a character changes in reaction to other characters and the elements of the story itself, in the same way as events and other people influence us in real life.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Plot is defined in terms of conflict. What better way to illustrate the dimensions of the conflict than to show resultant changes in the charac ter the reader identifies with?

It can obliquely answer the question, "What does it all mean to ME?"

It's not the only reason for character development, but it's a good one in many cases.

6. Siegfried

Siegfried New Member

I really try and use character development. Advancing characters to new stages. For example one of my characters, won't name is a cockney speaking girl whom is a bit of rogue, but in this case. Love changes her. But it's essential, yes.

It should go hand in hand with plot.

7. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ok, thanks! Now I can get more into it. :D