20 Navy SEALS Team Six Members die in Helicopter crash

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah no one can be a threat to those of us living in the U.S.

Anyone heard of 9/11? Just thought I'd throw that out there for one.

Sheesh.

Your post wasn't offensive Jayyy

1 person likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Thanks for the post, Xeno. I'd like to keep in mind all of the men and women of the armed services. Recently had the anniversary of the death of one of my friends in Afghanistan. Know a couple more who died there as well. These people do a tough job every single day.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

One of my school friends recently came back from Afghanistan, and I've had one or two who have died there. They do one hell of a job.

4. Steerpike

Yes they do, Lemex. I'm sorry about your friends.

5. Lemex

Thanks man, but it's ok. It's the job they were paid to do. They knew the risks.

I know that seems cold, but I have fond memories of them and that's what really counts to me.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Somewhere, a Taliban soldier who made a lucky shot is celibrating. I hope our troops can ruin his party.

7. Lemex

We all know what they say: 'One man's freedom fighter is another man's d*ck head'.

8. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

You make me feel old - I was 15 and a sophomore in high school when I heard the news, I was in my second period history class.

This loss is truly a tragedy, thoughts and prayers with the families of all the victims, and God bless our brave soldiers that risk everything to fight for us.

9. Alex W

Alex W New Member

37 brave people that's for sure.

RIP to ALL of them.

10. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

When something like this happens, a hundred groups will claim responsibility and all of them would be celebrating. I'd be careful about the "information" you get from television, especially the News.

I always find it funny how, despite knowing the bad things (in lamest terms) about wars on both sides, people always have a one-sided view as if one side is completely evil and the other good. Especially when there is glaring evidence over it. What I am sorry about is that the leaders of our country and industries may have done something to piss people off and sent our soldiers to settle their problems. I don't think people dedicate their entire life to hating another merely off of unjustified hate and envy.

11. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Um... Al Qaeda/Taliban IS evil. Anyone that could send their children to test out bombs, behead hostages to prove a point and get their highs off of bombing hundreds of innocent people - that's EVIL. The way the Taliban treat THEIR OWN PEOPLE is appalling in and of itself. They recently hung an 8 year old Afghan boy because they didn't like his father - that's not evil? They are terrorists.

12. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Some of the tactics against the Taliban recruit fighters for them, which is a big problem.

Wasn't it six months ago that an American drone took out a village full of people just to kill one guy? That's 30 innocent people killed to get one guy. There was also a highly publicised video of those chopper gunners taking down a ton of innocent people and not caring at all, one American soldier was brave enough to get the news out there and he's now being detained. How fucked is the world?

We're definitely not the 'shining lights' that we think we are, American/British/Allied troops have all done some shocking things while out there. But it's right that we are out there. Those countries need our help building their defences, and there are some gentlemen with AK47's who also need our bullets.

They need our bullets at speed in their general direction, that is.

13. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I never intended to be one-sided. I feel awful for the civilians and the good people of the Middle East. All i want is for us to win the War and their civilians to live in peace. I just meant the Terrorist groups who are attacking the US and thier own people. The innocent people who died in the war so far atleast don't have to live in hell anymore. I didn't want them to die, but it put them out of suffering and misery. For the ones still alive, i hope for them to see a brighter day in the future. The only reason im so aggressive towards this is because so many people died in 9/11. I support the Rebels in Libya, and all the rebels protesting in countries such as Syria and many others. I don't hate Muslims. Just the corrupted ones. The ones who use religion to rule the government. The ones who suppress shariah law and treat women like dogs. But not all of them do that, just some. Alot of people want the Middle East nuked, but i don't approve of that. I see it in both perspectives. Not just one.

14. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Yes, terrorists are. But how many terrorists are there in the Middle East compared to just regular people trying to live in conditions as best they can? There is a whole political backwater behind these events that led up to this and the US has turned a blind spot to the suffering of these people for decades. They actually aided it and even funded Saddam- despite knowing what he did- because it protected their interests. They've done this around the world in South America, Africa, and Asia. A lot of innocent people get abused or killed to further our nations interests.

I wasn't pointing you out, just in general. As far back as Vietnam, the US has been involved in some pretty heinous things that would have definitely qualified them for conviction in a war crimes committee over and over again. But they have been swept under the rug or overlooked because it atrocities don't matter as much if it's the US that's responsible for them. It seems like it's always a case of putting up the good fight for all the wrong reasons. In comparison, 9/11 is probably mid-range on the awful scale.

15. Steerpike

Quantifying the severity of human death. This is the kind of statement that can only be the result of a really bad and politically correct college education.

Discuss.

1 person likes this.
  16. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

Does anyone find this kind of odd?

They were on a rescue mission for Rangers who are more heavily armed then SEALS who are get in and get out guys. Plus, from what I heard, they use several fast copters when transporting SEALS so why are they all stuffed in this big one? Sounds like a big time tactical error to me, and a terrible one indeed.

Something just feels off I guess. I don't know. But my condolences go out to their families and friends. Long has it been overdue for our troops to come home.

17. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Steerpike, you're my hero ;)

@ Thalorin - my brother and I said something similar, but we were thinking more along the lines of a possible mole.

18. Steerpike

Thanks, Jessica. I figure if someone is disconnected enough to come into a thread memorializing these lives that were just lost, and not only denigrate the country these people were serving when they died, but also minimize the reason they are over there doing it in the first place, it should be countered in no uncertain terms. A lot of us have friends over there, and have also lost friends over there. We should be thinking about the soldiers who lost their lives and the family members they left behind.

19. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I agree whole-heartedly. One of my good friends lost his leg in Iraq (everyone in his humvee died), I have another good friend whose dad is special forces, as well as friends/family that served in the past... I have the utmost respect for our military and their bravery. I understand that there is going to be criticism, but I don't think the place for it is on a thread dedicated to commemorating soldiers that lost their lives.

20. Lemex

No, I don't find it odd. I don't know the circumstances well enough to say something like this. What you wrote smells like Conspiracy Theory to me, and that's just what I loathe.

21. thatguy

thatguy Member

I agree, it sounds odd... Ground troops in contact are typically reinforced by attack helicopters, fast air and occasionally the guns, but then again the rangers are an elite unit, and SF tends to work together, so it's really not that odd... And chinooks are commonly used by all units in afghanistan, theyre amazing helicopters, but shit happens.

22. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

This loss of life is a tragedy, but the reaction on here does demonstrate how it requires a significant incident like this before we turn our attention to the victims of war in the Middle-East. In both Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of collateral deaths amongst civilians is frightening, and thousands of soldiers and police officers from those countries have lost their lives trying to help our troops subdue and defeat terrorism.

I doubt that there will ever be a single moment in Afghanistan when we can say "job done". You cannot kill an ideology with guns and bombs, and it is not difficult to imagine the Taliban/al-Qaeda simply dispersing and retreating to the mountains, only to launch a counter-offensive once our soldiers have departed. As for Iraq, I think there remains only a very weak case for our having been there in the first place - certainly not the "weapons of mass destruction" excuse that we used as initial justification.

Saddam Hussein was our friend back around 1980 by virtue of being our "enemy's enemy" while the Iran-Iraq war was taking place, and even Osama bin Laden himself was covertly supported and encouraged by western superpowers when he led the resistance against the Russian invasion of Afghanistan a few years later. The politics of war are very Machiavellian and duplicitous, and yesterday's freedom fighters become today's terrorists.

So, by all means let us honour brave individuals on the front line who have given their lives selflessly, but let us also hold to account those in the corridors of power who have spent decades creating a world of division that gave our troops a reason to be there in the first place.

"To the dead, it don't matter much, 'bout who's wrong or right..." Bruce Springsteen