2063: Icarus (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by halisme, Nov 9, 2016.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Name: Subject #18-01 “Nora”

Appearance:
    Caucasian female, 5’5” slender build. Nora has long, dark, black hair, which shows a slight reddish hue when the light catches it just right, and dark brown eyes with a subtle reddish glint. She is fair-skinned, almost pale, but with a healthy glow and completely untouched by scars or blemishes. Classically beautiful, but in a plain, natural way. She usually wears red-framed glasses, despite having perfect eyesight. Dresses demurely, like a secretary or librarian, and always speaks softly.

Skills:
    Nora was raised in training simulations. As such, she is theoretically a master marksman, master infiltrator, master assassin, master whatever…but the real world is no sim. She is extremely intelligent and can almost seem like a robot at times, but her lack of social interaction has caused a lapse in what some might call common sense or "street smarts." In short, she’s highly skilled on paper, but untested in the real world. Too innocent for this line of work.

Equipment/G-Mods:
    Nora was genetically engineered from the ground up to be compatible with an experimental nanotechnology virus, dubbed the NanoDoc. Her bloodstream is swimming with microscopic, self-replicating, organic machines, which heal and augment her from the inside out, while also keeping her fully aware of every internal function of her body. She can neutralize most toxins, deactivate her pain centers, give herself boosts of adrenaline, stop bloodflow to injured limbs, and even hibernate or play dead.

Although the NanoDoc was originally intended to function as a miracle cure, introducing it into the bloodstream of someone who is not compatible can have violent results, such as major internal bleeding, projectile vomiting, and rupturing of internal organs. Nora can use her blood to heal or augment allies, but doing so requires careful control and any significant lapse in focus can lead to the aforementioned grisly results. For equipment, she generally travels light, using only a sidearm, knives, and minimal or no body armor.

Background:
    Nora is the final result of a joint project between the CDC and the United States military. Their goal was to create a panacea, a cure for everything -- cancer, AIDs, even the common cold and aching joints. They theorized that the human body was already well-equipped to handle most ailments and injuries, it was just programmed wrong. Fix the programming --fix the DNA-- and the body’s hardware could respond to almost any threat. Medicine would be rendered obsolete.

Unfortunately, the gap between theory and reality was a wide one. After a decade of trial and error, they had their “cure:” single-celled organic machines, capable of deconstructing and reconstructing a host’s cells and DNA from the inside. They tested it on rats and pigs, with horrific results, but were confident it would work on humans. “A pig’s brain isn’t smart enough,” they said. “Only humans will do. We have the superior OS, of course.”

The project didn’t hit its stride until the government fell in the 2040s. Research continued under a private bioengineering firm until 2053. Unburdened by human rights laws and government oversight, they were free to create the hosts their cure needed. Nora is test Subject 18-01: the first embryo of batch #18. There were hundreds like her… until a rival corporation firebombed the lab. She was the only intact specimen the research team managed to escape with.

The scientists fled to Europe, taking the test tube that would later become “Nora” with them, and eventually linked up with Icarus. They were given a lab and funding, on the condition that if Nora proved a success, they would hand over their research and she would become an operative. The research team’s pride wouldn’t allow them to refuse. They firmly believed they had created the perfect human. Naturally, this would make her the perfect operative as well. What could possibly go wrong?

2. AnonyMouse

@halisme
    @obi-sem kenobi
    @Domino355

Is anyone going to post? If no one's interested in some interaction during the down time, it might be best to skip to morning. I'm down to collab if anyone wants to write a hanging out scene, but I'm also fine with skipping ahead.

3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I'm ready to skip ahead. I was wondering if Obi was going to make another post.

4. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

Yeah, sorry it's been a bit busy and I haven't really had my head in the game the past days. I don't really see Alexander stepping up to someone for a social call without some strong group pressure, so I was trying to think of a good way for him to respond. I got stuck though, so if anything comes to mind I'll fill it in and if not I'm fine with ending the day the way it is now.
    So sorry again for dragging my feet and feel free to move on whenever you're ready.

5. halisme

So, everyone fine with moving on?

6. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Yeah sure. I didn't post becase I was debating whether to add another character.

7. halisme

Working on next post now.

8. AnonyMouse

Wow, @halisme, you ween't kiding when you said Nora would be very useful on the next mission.

I'm at work now, but I'll post when I get home. 'Til then, assume Kami is fidgeting like a rat in a trap and Nora is probably sitting there, with her head down, pretending to be invisible.

9. halisme

By the way, I've started adding image links to posts so people have a better idea of what we're dealing with. And this is one I've had planned for a while.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  10. AnonyMouse

By the way, the "soldier" I mentioned in my latest post is Jon (@ShannonH's character). I'm just assuming he's with us. If he bows out, I can edit that part out, but figured I'd at least include him for now. Haven't forgotten about you. :)

11. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

I appreciate that :)

12. obi-sem kenobi

Whereas I was being inattentive and distracted. Fixed my post :)
    Also, I'll be out until Friday so I won't be able to reply for a couple of days. I assume that would cause the story to slow down, so just assume my character goes along in his usual fashion and if you think he wouldn't let something slide without saying/doing something stupid, by all means, make him do so :p

13. AnonyMouse

Is anyone going to post? I'm even willing to collab, if you want. If no one has anything more to say, maybe it's time to get this party started. :twisted:

14. halisme

Sorry for taking so long to post. I've been having some series mental health issues lately.

15. halisme

Okay, last post before you're inside. Hopefully it goes smoother than the training mission did.

16. AnonyMouse

If it goes like the training mission, that'll be the end of this story, LOL. We'll all be dead. :p

Well, Nora might survive. :rolleyes:

Speaking of whom, I apologize if it seems like my characters are dialoguing off of one another too much. I'm looking forward to getting inside and splitting them up to avoid that. It feels like I'm talking to myself too often.

17. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

BTW the button on the earpiece sends a high-power sonic wave forward. Yeah. Blocking the ears will help a little but the character will still hear ringing from the ears.

18. halisme

I'm sorry to say that, with how my mental health is going, I don't have the energy to keep this going, and that has been the main reason for my inactivity on the forum in general. I'll keep up with Act One, and I might be able to continue with this at a later date, but not in the immediate future.

19. obi-sem kenobi

Hey, health, whether mental or physical, is always a lot more important than writing games. I hope you get better soon and wish you all best!

20. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Me too. I really hope you get better and stay that way. Looking out for your health really is the most important thing

21. halisme

In this case, it's a combination of no energy from mental health, and even less from being physically ill.