Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissingtheshadows

kissingtheshadows New Member

Anyone a vegetarian/vegan in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kissingtheshadows, Jun 15, 2008.

I know I sure am :D But this is the thread where we talk about our delicious meat-less recipes and foods!

2. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I'm going to have to say that I would die without meat... sorry to put it so bluntly but I need meat. :p

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

If animals didn't want to be eaten, they shouldn't be made out of meat :p

4. kissingtheshadows

You guys are silly :p the way I look at it, it's a dead animal. I don't know that just turns me off.

5. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

Hey, it's a valid choice. I used to be a vegetarian for a couple of years back in college. I tried to go vegan for a week and went crazy.

Everyone has a choice about what they want to put into their bodies. But I believe it's a personal choice. A lot of my friends never knew I was a vegetarian... I didn't proselytize about it, I just ordered meatless dishes and restaurants and made sure there were vegetarian options at parties. I gave up on it when I realized that I was endangering my health.

That's not to say that a vegetarian lifestyle is unhealthy. I was just doing it wrong. When you're a sophomore who's more worried about finishing a paper than cooking a healthy meal, good nutritional balance turns into Fritos and a Diet Coke really quick.

Now that I'm out on my own, away from a dorm setting, I will do lots of vegetarian meals, just not exclusively. I think my vegetarian experience was a lot like the three months I spent with no television. I taught myself that I can live without it, and that when I do partake, it's my choice.

6. kissingtheshadows

Yeah I've heard so many stories of vegetariansm gone wrong. It's been almost a year since I've been a vegetarian. I love it, but I'm keeping close tabs on what I eat. Most people think protein is what vegetarianism lacks, but you can actually find protein in just about any food, meat eaters usually tend to eat more protein then their bodies need. It's iron that vegetarians and vegans need to keep close attention to, because meat is high in iron so meat eaters don't have that problem. What's more difficult is that it's bad for you if you don't eat enough iron and if you eat too much iron.

As for me, I take a multi vitamin everyday that has all essential vitamins, and I eat plenty of vegetables, probably more then anything else. I eat all of the substitute meats from Boca and Morningstar farm, and have just gotten into eating tofu and tempeh.

As for my body, I've seen a positive result. I haven't lost much weight, I look about the same since I started, but I gained more muscle, but that's from the workouts I do. My health rates have gone up, and I can run faster haha. After being a vegetarian you just feel a lot better, it's hard to explain but you just feel healthier and that you can move around more better.

7. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

I used to be... but that doesn't count now, does it? :D

But I stopped because that's part of the reason why I'm 4'9 in height, and I'm fifteen...that's pretty freakin' short!

8. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

My friend was a vegetarian for about two years, but had to give it up (thank god- she kept stinking the canteen out with tofu pasties!) because it made her really ill. So the first thing she was go to burger king, and have a cheese and bacon burger! So she was like 'can i haev a dead animal please, but that;s not enough, could you drap another dead animal over it?'

9. kissingtheshadows

Ew you guys are nasty!

Yeah I know a lot of people that got sick from being a vegetarian. If that happened to em I'll just eat chicken, because pork and beef has a lot of fat in it. But technically, I'm a pesce veg, mainly because my family wants me to be one, but my mom is deathly allergic to fish and I'm with her all the time, so the only time I eat fish is once every few months, so I hardly count that.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a moral vegetarian... i used to eat anything that moved, finally realized my younger sister had a good point in saying, 'i won't eat anything that had a mother' and eventually knew i had to also stop using the products of any fellow member of the animal kingdom, the obtaining or making of which would cause their suffering or death...

so, i now don't use leather or any other things an animal has to be killed for, and don't eat any fellow member of the animal kingdom... and at 70 come september, am more healthy than many 40 year olds!

see why, here:

'alternate lifestyle'... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=17
    'for the meat & potatoes crowd'... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=50
    'got one!'... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=59
    'mangia! mangia!'... http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=79

as for recipes, i've got lots of 'em, but haven't time to post example here, right now... if you ask me for something in particular, i'll be happy to oblige...

11. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

One of my two best friends is vegetarian, going on vegan, for pretty much the same reason. She just doesn't like to eat anything that comes from an animal's body.

That's about all I've got, though. I tried eating no meat for a weak... I only made it through day one. :p

12. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

My way of looking at it is plants take in carbon dioxide and push out oxygen. My body, as far as my limited knowledge of science goes, likes a lot more oxygen that CO2, therefore, anything that turns the latter into the former is my friend, and all those animals out there who breath like me are threatening my existance.

I eat meat, but only in self defence.

13. kissingtheshadows

Yeah I agree with you on everything, espeacially the leather/fur thing.

I don't mind it if anyone eats meat, I mean I used to so I don't think I should nag at anyone who eats meat. Also, I've been nagged at and made fun of for being a vegetarian, and I hate it, so I don't see why I should do it to them.

But fur is what I'm against. There really is no use in wearing fur except if you're stranded in the artic with no other clothing. But just wearing it when there's no many alternatives to dressing warm is wrong to me. Even when I was little, before I became an animal rights activist I was apposed to wearing fur. I'm apposed to leather, also, but leather is pretty much everywhere, I even have a leather belt, so I ignore people who have leather jackets or whatever.

14. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

Lol. I remember one time in Mr. Thomeson's class last year [he's large, and has a belly in which left side droops down farther than the other side. He eats spam. He's single. He lives in an apartment five stories up, no elevator, and he has to rest on the stairs in between second and third floor.] he asked if anyone in our class was a vegetarian, and I said "yes." [even though I'm not. I just like to humor him. He gives me jolly ranchers.] He was all "Hm. I'm not a vegetarian, becuase I could just eat you up."

Lol, It was so funny. I wish he was my father.

15. kissingtheshadows

Aw that's cute haha.

16. seantrott

seantrott New Member

I'm a vegetarian, have been since I was 5. I'm fifteen now, and I'm thinking about eating fish every once in a while. I'm not sure though. And the meat I would eat would be healthy meat that was grown in a good environment and died of natural causes, you know that whole thing.

Reasons for vegetarianism!
    1. Health: Many meat-eaters mock me for being a vegetarian and say I'm less healthy. Although a balanced diet can be more healthy sometimes, vegetarians in fact lack little to no vitamins. The protein argument is not valid, because I find protein in milk, cheese, tofu, and many other products. I looked up the vitamins I need, and I make sure I get enough, and I don't even have to take pills. I'm a little short (5'5, sadly in america that's pretty short for fifteen and a half), but not extremely short.
    In addition, there's a LOT of meat diseases (Mad cow, fish disease I forget what it's called lol)
    2. Morality: I think this applies especially to meat that was grown badly. I mean, you pass by these cattle ranches, the cows are packed within inches of each other, standing in their own feces, mixed in with the mud and urine. Their hauled off to the slaughterhouse, and then they're cooked. Some companies have been sued recently because they use pitchforks to cart the sick or dead cows and then just use the clearly unhealthy ones. Then, salmon farming has made salmon almost extinct. And I just feel so bad. If I had to eat meat, I would look past this issue, but i don't. And i eat healthier than most kids in my class.
    3. Taste: I've never really even liked the taste of most meat (yes, I've tried chicken, beef, turkey, duck, etc. and I hated it all, and felt bad after eating it), so...that speaks for itself.

Some great vegetarian meals:
    Tofu, fried OR baked.
    Salad (cabbage, pepper, lettuce, silantro, and tomatoes mostly) covered with a light lemon dressing. It's unbelievable. Also, try balsamic vinagerette.
    Simple bread with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes. I know it's easy and simple, but it's great. Try jarlseburg cheese, and BREE, which is amazing.
    Broccoli, sauteed with a soy sauce dressing, with fried rice on the side.

17. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I'm an egg-veg............would have been a pure veg, only my Mom forces me to eat egg...I'm thinking o' going non-veg now though cos I'm like 5 ft 1...weigh only 91 pounds and can it into anything that is waist 26, which according to my friends is not good on the figure..and unfortunately for me I have a high metabolic rate so I eat all amounts of junk and stuff and gain nothing.

Does anybody here know for sure that if I eat chicken that'll help me??

18. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

Everybody's different. It might work, or it might not. There are a lot of factors, including age, which play a part. Still, you've got a problem that a lot of us would like to have.

19. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I’ve had anaemia since I were eight
    so I need to eat meat for the iron.
    Am I immoral?
    Oh yes, and in more ways than one.

20. lessa

lessa New Member

Don't think I would enjoy eating something that died of natural causes.
    Killed ok but old age is not a good thing.
    I wear leather and I love furs.
    I hunt bear to eat partridge to eat and could go for moose and might this year.
    I fish and we eat what we catch.
    We eat a lot of chicken beef and a bit of pork.
    I eat a lot of vegetables but hate tofu and beans.
    I am anemic and if I went vegetarian I would have to take iron supplements which
    totally destroy my digestion.
    So I guess to animal rights people I am horrible.
    But if you could see the damage the bears around here cause you would probably join
    me on a hunting trip.

21. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

You hunt bear? Wow. Moose sounds fun too- I once had a packet of weird things from Sweden that were like small crisps, but made out of reindeer and moose.

Any veggies here that don't eat meat coz it's creul, but eat fish? Now I'm not making fun, but am extremely curious- why do fish not count?

22. kissingtheshadows

Agreed, you are amazing and couldn't agree more.

And for the rest of you, could you take your hunting discussions somewhere else. If you haven't noticed, this is the VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS thread, not the thread where everyone makes fun of them. It's really offending a lot of us because we're committed to this lifestyle and have a passion for it, so I'm probably not the only one who takes offense to some of you mocking animals.

I don't wanna be mean, because I'm not a mean person, I'm just asking politely for you not to discuss that to an animal rights activist.

23. lessa

lessa New Member

All I was saying that I wasn't a veg.
    and I said what I ate.
    sorry was not making fun or discussing hunting.

24. kissingtheshadows

I personally believe that killing innocent creatures is in the wrong, and fish including. Some vegetarians eat fish because "it isn't a meat". I don't see what they mean by that, but that's me.

My parents want me to be pesce-veg, because they're concerned by my health. But I'd rather eat fish then any other meat because it's the healthiest. Pork and beef, I think I said this before, contain high amounts of fat. And I don't eat fish except once every few months, so I don't even consider myself a pesce-veg.

But some are pesce-veg for the health benefits, some believe it's not a meat, people have different reasons and there are many different opinions. You just have to learn to accept them all and realize everyone thinks differently and to try and not fight about it with them. That's really the only way to make a world a better place, as far as I see it.

25. lessa

lessa New Member

According to scientific studies fish do not feel pain.
    Don't know if this is true but it is a reason some vegetarians who are opposed to killing a mammal will eat fish since it doesn't feel pain and is not a mammal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.