1. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Pirates. Arrh?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Laura Mae., Jun 1, 2011.

Quick question that I have been scouring the web about for the past half hour. Yes I did give up that quick :p

My question is: how do you get on a ship, specifically a pirate ship?

I mean, I've never been on a 'ship'. On boats there are steps onto the deck, but what about ships?

Thank you!

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm gonna say gangplank?

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Yeah. Assuming you've seen Pirates of the Caribbean because everyone has, particularly if they like pirates. That scene near the opening where Jack and Will steal the Interceptor, at one point you see people loading up a big ship, and they're going up a gangplank. There are probably a few other shots of ships at a dock with a plank leading up to them, but I can't think of any right now since usually they just cut to everyone on board. :p

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, a gangplank is how you'd board if the ship is tied up at a wharf/dock/pier...

if it's moored offshore, or at sea, you'd have to board it from another ship of similar size, by 'swinging' aboard on a rope/line, as you see done in battle scenes, or if a small boat, by climbing up a dangling line, or a rope ladder let down by someone on board...

if swimming in the water, you'd be out of luck if no one dropped you a line...

5. Laura Mae.

Laura Mae. New Member

Thanks guys :)

I knew what the actual thing was, just couldn't remember what it is was called, cheers again!