Tags:
  1. isaac223

isaac223 Senior Member

Can I Pigeonhole Myself Into One Type of Setting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by isaac223, Jan 26, 2020.

Anyone who has seen me post anything here knows I like to write Golden Age-styled detective novels. It's not just the setting, but also the style, conventions and form of the ye old school of mystery writing. Sometimes, though, I have an idea for any other kind of story -- or even a Golden Age-structured mystery in a contemporary setting -- and I want to work on it, but I don't want to end up creating a writer's identity for me I won't stick to.

How much do I risk isolating my potential audience if I begin dabbling in psychological thrillers or modern settings if I establish myself as someone who writes mysteries taking place in the 1940s-1950s?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Sure. Stephen King made a name for himself writing horror, then moved on to writing psychological thrillers like Misery and then other genres.

Unless you are a very well known author with an established fan base, I wouldn't worry about it. And even then, I wouldn't worry too much. You can always publish it under a pseudonym if you're concerned.

3. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

If you are established in one genre under one name, maybe use a different pen name for a different genre?

4. isaac223

isaac223 Senior Member

Not yet, I'm not! But, you know, eventually, right? Good idea, though, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use a pseudonym! Thanks a ton.