1. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

short story publishers and other questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by nativesodlier, Jun 25, 2009.

Okay first off I would like to ask if anyone knows of magazines and newspapers in America (even just in California is fine as well) that accept Science fiction short stories. I already know that The Writer's Market is a good resource but I'm a little short on money due to the fact that I am one of those broke college students, and to further my dilemma a broke art student you hear so much about, and will pick it up as soon as I have some spare change, but I was hoping some of you can give a few suggestions.

Secondly, when submitting a short story is it similar to submitting a novel: Cover letter/Query, synopsis. Do you include the complete short story with it or a small sample?

thirdly, in the query is it the same set up: opening hook, short synopsis,bio?

Finally: when it comes to the lay out of your short story. do you submit it like you would a manuscript? # for scene breaks underlining for italics and such.

Any other info would be amazing. thank you.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Nativesodlier,

First, there are plenty of online resources that will prove more than adequate to find science fiction markets.

I have a page on my website that organizes markets by nonpaying, paying and pro/semi-pro rates for short fiction--Link: ervin-author.com Markets page

I also have a page with about a dozen sites that you can use to search for markets. Most of them include Science Fiction--Link: ervin-author.com Market Search Websites
    I think that Duotrope.com and Ralan's Webstravaganza will be the best sites for you to use.

Second, with most markets you submit the entire short story. Often a cover letter is included (or an option to include). Each market will have exactly what you need to do, including formatting, type of file to send (rtf for example) and other bits of information on its guidelines page.

Thirdly, if you have nothing more to say relevant, just include something along the lines of: I am submitting "Name of Story," a 0,000 word science fiction story for your consideration." Of course address it to the proper editor if you can determine it from the website/guidelines, and include your contact information (even though it is also on the short story's first page), and things like that which should be on every cover letter.

As far as formatting, there is standard formatting which you indicated in your question, which is the default...double spaced, header with title/last name/page number in it, Courier or Times Roman font, etc. Often if a market has specific requirements, they will list them. If they do, needless to say, follow them (you might be surprised how many writers don't).

As for other information: I would spend a bit of time looking at markets that appear to be good fits, based on their about page, guidelines and also samples of their stories, if they're available.

I'd keep a file of ones that seem to be good matches, including links and a line or two of notes why that market might be a good match, submission windows, rate of pay, etc. It will save you time later on if you write something similar and need to find a good market, and also if your story gets rejected the first time out, you have a list ready (and don't have to go through the whole search for a market process all over again).

Hope that answers your questions. I am sure others will chime in with more if I missed something or if they have a different perspective/opinion.

Terry

3. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Very helpful information. thank you. Oh and I do believe I will use those tips and sites. thanks again.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

www.duotrope.com is the best listing site... and it's free!

first of all, you need to follow the guidelines of each venue you're submitting to...

usually, they will want you to submit the full ms, along with a standard 1-page cover/query letter, that lays out the basic plot in a single paragraph... you do not send a separate synopsis for a short story...

an 'opening hook' is not standard... some publishers/agents like that, some don't...

yes, since it IS a 'manuscript'... format is the same for all prose mss...

the main thing is to follow each publisher's guidelines, to the letter...