Tags:
  1. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

80's/90's Coastal California

Discussion in 'Research' started by MusingWordsmith, Jan 5, 2020.

Hello! I have managed to get a draft written for nano (not a project I've babbled on this forum on about like... ever. But a complete draft! :D) So I'm moving into the draft two phase, and trying to do a little more research as well.

Draft 1 was set in Cali, on the beach, and probably in the 90's though 80's is also a possibility. The thing is I don't really know much, if anything, about life in that time period/location.

Mainly what I need for my setting is an area with a good surfer population, and a timeframe where cell phones aren't a thing. I geared towards California because that's Stereotypical(TM) but I'm not set on it. Switching to Hawaii is also an option for me, one I'm leaning more towards the more I think about it, though preferably I do wanna stay in the US.

I'm not sure what questions specifically to ask right now. If anyone has any good resources for getting an idea what life was like, I'd appreciate it!

Also: backstory of one of my characters is getting sent over to aunts/uncles for summer cause he's starting to get involved with gangs. (Chicago native, half-Korean, half TBD.) Resources/input on that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

2. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

Hawaii is in the US. Not Continental US, if that's what you mean, but it's a state. Anyway, I also have no experience in 90s/80s California, but I'd recommend research into this topic. Look up whichever city you're thinking of in the 80s or 90s, then indulge yourself.

frigocc likes this.
  3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

There was a thriving surfer population in Southern California, but I really don't know much about it. I was closer to the surfing area around Santa Cruz. I can, however, get you in touch with some people who were active in both scenes if you let me forward your contact info to them.

There was a considerable overlap between that community and the hang gliding community at the time, which is how I got to know them.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  4. MusingWordsmith

That would be awesome! I'll DM you my contact info. I am leaning towards switching it to Hawaii though, do you think any of them would also know about that area?

5. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I don't think so. But have you thought about making contact with any of the surf shops in the areas you're interested in? Somebody's still selling surfboards and wetsuits and such. I'm sure that the proprietors would love to help you, and they're just an Internet search away.

6. MusingWordsmith

I had not. I wasn't sure where to begin, and now I'm like 'oh that seems obvious!' I live in a very inland state, lol. I'll do some googling, see how this goes.

7. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

I would point out that I had a cell phone in 87 in Texas panhandle. If you don’t want them, time travel back to the 70’s at least.