1. could've been better

2. could've been worse

3. too much information

4. not enough information

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NathanLyle

NathanLyle New Member

A Basic Overview of Nathan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NathanLyle, Sep 10, 2018.

I've been writing for approximately half my life. I write a little bit of every genre (fantasy, romance, action, etc.) and a little bit of every medium (songs, movies, books, etc.). I never considered writing to be a legitimate career choice because I don't have the discipline for it. I've got hundreds of stories...but most of them are les than ten pages. I'm an idea man first and foremost. Everything after that is just work.

I recently realized I'm approaching 30 and do not have a single accomplishment in my life. So I'm going to try and flesh some of these stories out. I have finished my memoir and One comic book and while I work on getting those published I'm currently looking over everything I've ever written trying to figure out which of these stories I'd be most willing to spend the next year or more of my life completely devoted to.

Anyone have tips on the best way to improve my descriptive writing?

ixk likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Nathan!

I'm sure your dilemma is shared by lots of other people here on the forum. It's great to have ideas, but, as you've discovered, that's all they are. Ideas. Nothing more. Until you put them into some form where they can exist outside of you and outside of your own head, they are just ideas.

It's great that you've already got the gist of many ideas down on paper (screen.) Do any of these started stories still mean something to you? If I were you, I'd look through them, pick one that gets you enthused all over again, then begin to envision where it might go. And stick with it until it DOES go somewhere. Don't give up. If none of them give you that boost of enthusiasm, then start a new one. BUT THIS TIME, DON'T QUIT.

When the story bogs down at some point, figure out a way to solve whatever the problem might be. The difference between authors and wannabe authors is that authors don't walk away from story problems ...they solve the problems and move on. That's what's lacking here. The willingness to stick with a problem and solve it. Don't wait for a story to spring fully-grown out of your head. That won't happen. You need to nurture it and keep it watered, fed, and ...yes ...pruned. Like gardening, writing takes patience.

Think of it this way, if it helps. You will continue to generate great ideas, but now you need a few great ideas to solve the problem. Don't give up and start a new story, but stick around and solve the problem you've already got.

Like anything else in life, you can't do it all. Don't be overwhelmed or dazzled by all the possibilities life offers.
    seven.png

You will not write well in every genre on the planet. So figure out your favourite one, and then focus on getting something specific actually finished. There is no satisfaction equal to that. "Having written." You may be approaching 30, but you've still got most of your life ahead of you. Don't waste it getting started and re-started, over and over again. Move on. There isn't any magic trick I know of to make that happen. You have to decide to do it, then stick with your decision.

I would advise that you get hold of a few 'how to' books. Not the kind that promise you can write a novel in 10 days, etc. But maybe a couple written by authors you admire. Or get hold of some Writers' Digest books, or even subscribe to their magazine. These writing aids can give you fantastic insight into how you write, including how to create the 'descriptive' stuff you asked about. Every author develops an approach that works for them, but might not work for you—so read a wide range of these articles and books. Start to learn the basics of the craft. These basics will take you beyond the ideas stage, and help you get your book (books) written.

Good luck. And congratulations on getting your memoir and comic published already. That puts you streets ahead of many of the rest of us.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  3. NathanLyle

NathanLyle New Member

A little bit of misinterpretation. My memoir and comic book aren't published yet. I am currently trying to get them published. I've had very little success.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Anything you have to publish is a victory! It means you've done it! You can do it again.

Endeavor to perservere.

Welcome!