1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

What do you call somebody who has this type of persona?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MatrixGravity, May 29, 2011.

Who has a "Whatever" attitude? Who constantly feels the need to give you a hard time, and gives you responses like 'whatever." or just has an attitude in general.. Are there any adjectives that exist to describe this type of individual?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

A jerk
    Rude
    Has a chip on their shoulder
    Flippant
    Arrogant
    Condescending (if they act like they are much more intelligent than you are)
    Closed-off
    Short
    etc

I feel like you've asked this before, though.

3. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

I think you've described two slightly different personalities. It could perhaps be a cultural thing, as you're in the US and I'm UK.

But a 'whatever' attitude is a bit different from a jerky attitude.

A jerk - or bully - has a persona derived from feelings of inadequacy, so he asserts power over others to make sure he feels superior. They'd informally be called a Little Nazi, or Little Hitler, although 'bully' works well.

A 'whatever' attitude is more self destructive than the bully - they suffer from lack of confidence and convictions. They bully to make them feel better, but it's more likely they'll be inconsiderate unintentionally. Their 'jerkiness' will be a side effect of a self destructive social attitude.