1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

A book 2 plot issue about police

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by GuardianWynn, Dec 28, 2022.

So book 2 has been something I have been working on and I discovered I'm a bit of a pantser. So I got three scenes I think should be coming up. And I'm not quite sure which order I should do them in

An angel cop coming down from heaven. The idea is she is nervous cuz she feels like she made a mistake but can't figure out where. So a bit of a clue that something big gonna happen later(arch demon breaking free)

The human police are gonna crack down and start looking seriously for our heroes. (Are heroes are basically half angels that are trying to live human lives and help heaven)

And the heroes are gonna try and fake someone's death to help him escape cuz legally he is pinned even though he's innocent.

Also... Not sure quite how to reasonably have demi angel teenagers fake a death lol. Like that's an issues that's stumping me a bit too

So any thoughts you guys?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

There's a lot that would need to be explained before anybody can help. We don't know anything at all about the plot for instance. Also, what exactly are angels in the story? Are they material beings? Do they have big wings? Can they pass as human if they want to? Then, what is a half-angel? Do they look fully human? Next question, why are there angel cops? Heaven needs police? I'd think the really bad troublemakers would be headed the other way.

Help us help you.

[​IMG]

3. GuardianWynn

Giving absolute context is always a rather difficult thing to do.

Basically all angels are cops in one way or another in this set up. And yes they can pass for human. But the question I'm seeking isn't about the design of the angels or characters.

I'm unsure which makes narrative sense here. In that I could tease the eventually arch demon coming first. Since that's well coming later. But I also want to get the police involved before it gets too late into the story and since the police will be less notable compared to an arch demon.

This is sort of where I'm thinking

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

What does "all angels are cops" mean? All angels help police heaven, or when they take a physical form on Earth they are police officers? Do they have badges? Are they municipal or metropolitan police?

In all seriousness, it would help a bit to know how and why all angels become cops.

It's probably hard to fake a death for someone with a felony warrant, or even any serious warrant without a body. But I think if you use your imagination and think of ways that are plausible within the context of the story, and at least addressed it, the readers will buy it.

I'd probably take the easy way out and have the heroes fake a plausible death by drowning in an ocean (where the body may never be recovered), have the chief of police close the case for political reasons, but have an annoying detective not want to accept that narrative "He's still out there Captain, I just know it!"

5. GuardianWynn

Sorry for explaining it poorly. I meant that angels purpose is essentially similar to police in that they chase bad guys or demons in this case. So essentially heaven is a divine police department.

Earth in this world is unaware of the super natural. Hence me wanting to explore the nature of these girls that are stuck between both worlds trying to deal with normal human police while they occasionally help the heaven police. And the heaven police fucking up lead to an arch demon(super bad dude) escaping and things get.... Complicated there.

If that helps shore up some of those questions?

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Meh. Cops in the real world have a tough time outsmarting teenagers. I'd think angels and demons would run circles around them.

montecarlo likes this.
  7. Xoic

Well, I know, but if angels are 8 feet tall and have a 20 foot wingspan they can't hide, and maybe have a bright golden glow, then it's a very different story than if they look totally human. We just need some context. When your story involves non-human characters people need to understand a few basics.
    Why are the human police looking for the heroes? Are the heroes criminals?

Help who, to escape from what? A convict from prison? All of this is just too vague.

One more question I think is important—what kind of special abilities do demi-angels have?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  8. GuardianWynn

In fairness. Rubber sucker debugging sort of solved the issue at this point

But I'm happy to get responses

9. Xoic

Haha ok, great!!